• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf and vacation destinations

To the specifics of the thread, I don't see disc golf in a resort being a particular draw. It might be a bonus for a disc golfer who is otherwise going there, but I can't imagine many people choosing a resort vacation based on it. Orlando, Florida has some very good disc golf, and I've played there as a break while on vacation, but it wasn't what drew me.

The course I'm in the middle of designing right now is being funded by the local B&B owners. They expect it to pay for itself in new business.

The course I'm in the middle of designing right now is being funded by the local B&B owners. They expect it to pay for itself in new business.

Without knowing the details, is it a vacation destination in the sense that the O.P. was discussing?

One of the potential up sides is that a DG course isn't a huge expense in comparison to other attractions.

Not talking about sacrificing quality.

I would be interested to know more about how you address the likely multi-use aspects that come with putting in a DG course in a vacation area. Meaning hikers and such using the same general area.

Without knowing the details, is it a vacation destination in the sense that the O.P. was discussing?

To clarify, my question and concept was something of a phased approach.

You have a great vacation destination to start with, but it's a fraction of the expense of similar destinations.

Connect with the tourism board and others for support and funding, get 18-36 premium holes in the ground.

Eventually you might have something that would attract a major event.

This isn't a football stadium with 100k visitors, but it doesn't cost a billion dollars either. If you can attract a few thousand for a week, the local economy might see adequate return to support it.

To clarify, my question and concept was something of a phased approach.

You have a great vacation destination to start with, but it's a fraction of the expense of similar destinations.

Connect with the tourism board and others for support and funding, get 18-36 premium holes in the ground.

Eventually you might have something that would attract a major event.

This isn't a football stadium with 100k visitors, but it doesn't cost a billion dollars either. If you can attract a few thousand for a week, the local economy might see adequate return to support it.

That's pretty much what happened.

https://gochippewacounty.com/

Tourist rooming homes are a big boost to the economy there. The main impact will be more families coming to the lake for their vacation, rather than big events.

Still, there are enough quality courses in the area that we are working toward an eventual Worlds.

The course will not interfere with other activities. They converted what had been a dump site into a park, so no one else had prior claims on it.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12663

Next step is getting the other nine holes in.

That's pretty much what happened.

https://gochippewacounty.com/

Tourist rooming homes are a big boost to the economy there. The main impact will be more families coming to the lake for their vacation, rather than big events.

Still, there are enough quality courses in the area that we are working toward an eventual Worlds.

The course will not interfere with other activities. They converted what had been a dump site into a park, so no one else had prior claims on it.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12663

Next step is getting the other nine holes in.

Assuming you have land available that's moderately wooded, what's the ballpark for putting in a good 18 hole course with baskets and tee pads? By good, assume it would be 4 star+ rated on DGCR, ~7000' with the possibility of extending it to 10,000. for pro level play.

Assuming you have land available that's moderately wooded, what's the ballpark for putting in a good 18 hole course with baskets and tee pads? By good, assume it would be 4 star+ rated on DGCR, ~7000' with the possibility of extending it to 10,000. for pro level play.

Every time someone asks for a ballpark cost, I say "as much as a ballpark".

For T-ball, or MLB?

Thankfully, you have narrowed it down quite a bit. And already have the land.

What's left mostly depends on how much preparation there is for the land and who you get to do it. Figure from $500 to $5,600 per acre, depending on how dense.

There are ways to make it cheaper. For example, let loggers clear cut part of it for pulp. You may break even on those parts. Obviously, you can't use this everywhere.

Sometimes, the accounting practices of the landowner can allow for some of the work to fit under already-budgeted expenses. Like removing invasive species. Or cleaning out dead trees for safety. Or creating "temporary" lanes through the trees to allow access to other construction work. Sometimes, city workers can be diverted from other things without added cash.

On the other hand, a new course may require a new parking lot and driveway, or a restroom building, or fences. Maybe surface water management. Often, erosion control.

No one but the entity doing the actual work can give you a price.

Note that the expense can be spread out over several years. Sometimes that helps with entities that operate under an annual budget. The course will last many years, it doesn't need to be finished in a month.

For the course you describe, figure multiple tees and basket locations and quality signs. Maybe more than 18 holes. Tees can cost $500 to $1,200 to install and signs can be about $100 to $300. Each, not per hole.

Ongoing costs are mowing, forest management, spreading woodchips, replacing baskets (one every few years), adjusting hole locations (maybe one every couple of years, and major re-designs every 10-15 years or so).

The best first step is hire a designer. That's a worthwhile expense to help with the decision of whether to get into the big expenses.

Every time someone asks for a ballpark cost, I say "as much as a ballpark".

For T-ball, or MLB?

Thankfully, you have narrowed it down quite a bit. And already have the land.

What's left mostly depends on how much preparation there is for the land and who you get to do it. Figure from $500 to $5,600 per acre, depending on how dense.

There are ways to make it cheaper. For example, let loggers clear cut part of it for pulp. You may break even on those parts. Obviously, you can't use this everywhere.

Sometimes, the accounting practices of the landowner can allow for some of the work to fit under already-budgeted expenses. Like removing invasive species. Or cleaning out dead trees for safety. Or creating "temporary" lanes through the trees to allow access to other construction work. Sometimes, city workers can be diverted from other things without added cash.

On the other hand, a new course may require a new parking lot and driveway, or a restroom building, or fences. Maybe surface water management. Often, erosion control.

No one but the entity doing the actual work can give you a price.

Note that the expense can be spread out over several years. Sometimes that helps with entities that operate under an annual budget. The course will last many years, it doesn't need to be finished in a month.

For the course you describe, figure multiple tees and basket locations and quality signs. Maybe more than 18 holes. Tees can cost $500 to $1,200 to install and signs can be about $100 to $300. Each, not per hole.

Ongoing costs are mowing, forest management, spreading woodchips, replacing baskets (one every few years), adjusting hole locations (maybe one every couple of years, and major re-designs every 10-15 years or so).

The best first step is hire a designer. That's a worthwhile expense to help with the decision of whether to get into the big expenses.

I figured the material costs (basket and tee primarily) would be around $2000. So, a ballpark guess might be around $5,000 per hole. At the off the cuff level of estimating, that's -50% to plus 100%. So, $2,500 to $10k per hole. If you could pull together $100k, you could probably get a nice course in the ground.

That's what I mean by ballpark.

On the design services side, does anyone use a proper survey? From what I see, courses are typically laid out based on experience and eye balling with minimal or no engineering.

In the commotion of a week at Disney, a morning at an empty Turkey Lake was a wonderful respite.

Don't get me wrong, I like those Turkey Lake courses as much as the next person (Three 18 hole courses onsite now, for those keeping score at home) but the Lake county courses are also very nice and the Debary courses are also within reach of an Orlando vacation. Florida has been upping their disc golf game. Some of the most popular Tampa area courses are getting makeovers, BIG things are happening in Bradenton, heck even Lakeland has two decent courses now.

Lake Counties in five states have some top-rated courses in their state:
IL Fairfield 4.58 (#1)
FL The Green Gauntlet 4.38 (#1)
IN Lemon Lake Gold 4.00 (#14)
CA Highland Springs Reservoir 4.00 (#21)
CO Colorado Mountain College, Leadville 3.93 (#21)

Don't get me wrong, I like those Turkey Lake courses as much as the next person (Three 18 hole courses onsite now, for those keeping score at home) but the Lake county courses are also very nice and the Debary courses are also within reach of an Orlando vacation. Florida has been upping their disc golf game. Some of the most popular Tampa area courses are getting makeovers, BIG things are happening in Bradenton, heck even Lakeland has two decent courses now.

I don't doubt it. But besides Turkey Lake / Bill Frederick having multiple courses, it has a nice secluded feel due to being gated, and on a weekday morning about 10 years ago, we had it all to ourselves. It was that peace, in addition to the disc golf, that was a welcome break between Disney days.

We also played Barnett Park while in the area for a bowl game once, and enjoyed it, but it didn't have that sort of seclusion.

North side of Houston has some great courses for when you're a northerner like me visiting the area when there's cold weather back home. Love me some McDade, Texas Army Trail, Northside Christian Church, etc. (I gotta get back to Little Egypt too!).

North side of Houston has some great courses for when you're a northerner like me visiting the area when there's cold weather back home. Love me some McDade, Texas Army Trail, Northside Christian Church, etc. (I gotta get back to Little Egypt too!).

it was 50's and a little damp this morning, but I got my first round of the year in. Since I started playing in April of 2020, I think I've only missed playing at least one round per week a handful of times due to weather.

Unfortunately, I did not play well...but, I got to play, so it's a good day.

it was 50's and a little damp this morning, but I got my first round of the year in. Since I started playing in April of 2020, I think I've only missed playing at least one round per week a handful of times due to weather.

Unfortunately, I did not play well...but, I got to play, so it's a good day.

Are you local to those courses? We come down every Thanksgiving!

Are you local to those courses? We come down every Thanksgiving!

DFW. I would have gone to Waco for the tourney there, but have obligations this afternoon.

If you or anyone is coming through DFW and wants to bag a round, I'm (almost) always up for it. There are a few other folks I know for sure around here that post here and are good for a round as well.

I don't get down towards Houston often, but will keep it in mind. My daughter is in Galveston, so we will probably go there and maybe I can bag a course or two while there.

Latest posts