• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

The Happy Gilmore

Par Member
In the past 2.5 years I've played maybe 50 courses or so. And outside of my home location and tourney play, I will only play courses that are rated 3-3.5 and better. Not too often, but every once in a while I'll run into a course that everyone loves but I just cannot seem to enjoy (not because of bad play mind you). So what courses are like that for you peeps? I'll start off with the most recent.
1. Briscoe woods in Florissant, MO. I feel like this course was rushed or they forced holes. Also it is a very confusing layout with the course being split between holes very weird.

Circle C Metro Park in Austin, Texas. 4th rated course in all of Texas, with 65 reviews and an average rating of 4.45. So folks obviously love this course.

Last year I had business in Austin, so I planned to hit the course. It was a weekday, and I arrived at probably 1:30 p.m. I located the first tee to find a group standing at the pad waiting to tee off. Another group was visible standing up in the fairway, apparently waiting on a group to putt out. After waiting there for about 3 minutes, yet another group stepped up behind me, and we all waited, as the group in the fairway hadn't yet thrown. When yet another group showed up to wait, I bailed out and played a more rural 9-hole course on my way home.

So while I'm sure the quality of the course is great, I cannot imagine the amount of time it would take to play 18 holes, and the accompanying frustration. On a weekday afternoon. I wonder what it's like on a nice Saturday...

Leviathan in Ludington. Its rated 4.36. I like it from the long tees. The mids seem like they were rushed, and the tee pads are horrible. The course simply isn't groomed well enough to deserve a 4.36. I also don't think the variety of shots is there. IMHO, Oshtemo in Kalamazoo is a better course, and it has a 3.86 rating.

Hornet's Nest in Charlotte.
Played it twice and wouldn't mind if I never played it again.
Just didn't like it.

In the past 2.5 years I've played maybe 50 courses or so. And outside of my home location and tourney play, I will only play courses that are rated 3-3.5 and better. Not too often, but every once in a while I'll run into a course that everyone loves but I just cannot seem to enjoy (not because of bad play mind you). So what courses are like that for you peeps? I'll start off with the most recent.
1. Briscoe woods in Florissant, MO. I feel like this course was rushed or they forced holes. Also it is a very confusing layout with the course being split between holes very weird.
Briscoe Woods still has new course smell. After it has been around its limitations will start to get noticed more. Really what people love is two courses in one park, not the actual course. Most people just don't think it through that far.

Bluemont park outside of DC. It had a lot of high reviews' the course was terrible it was like some baskets thrown in a overcrowded neighborhood park.

Just didn't like it.

I kind of echo your thoughts. Maybe it was because I didnt know the course at all but I wasn't a huge fan. I honestly think we should start all over with ratings and make them 0-10 scale. There should be more separation between a truly great course of 4.something and a middle of the road 3.

Pleasant view disc golf course in Russellville Arkansas, everyone who says they shoot better here than old post is a dirty liar. for some reason this course only eats your favorite disc

I was watching Memorial coverage from last year with the pros at Vista Del Camino. I couldnt make it passed a couple holes. Talk about a boring course. 350' hyzer, 400' hyzer... Thats not golf, but the pros LOVE that kind of course

I was watching Memorial coverage from last year with the pros at Vista Del Camino. I couldnt make it passed a couple holes. Talk about a boring course. 350' hyzer, 400' hyzer... Thats not golf, but the pros LOVE that kind of course

I agree, that didnt get interesting until the floods came

I hear both sides on Briscoe, I do think the concrete tee pads where put in awfully quick.
But for me, it's Endicott, everyone in St. Louis seems to put that place on par with Jefferson Barracks, and I just don't get it. I feel a lot more cramped there, and I have come across a lot of as$holes there, both casually, and at events.

Deis Hill in OH is probably the most overrated course I've played IMO.

I actually didnt mind Briscoe when I was there for the St Louis open last year. Didnt like that it opened the day before the tourney, but there were some good holes, and some not good holes...

I havent played it since then, but Im sure it has been cleaned up.

And wasnt a huge fan of Endicott, but JB was an incredible course. Nowhere near equals

When I was visiting the twin cities I played a bunch of courses. I was expecting BRP to be one of the best courses I ever played. Don't get me wrong, it was a quality course and definitely one of my top ten if not top 5 courses. But it just didn't WOW me. Honestly I thought Bryant Lake Park was much better than BRP.

Sometimes courses are overrated, sometimes it's a matter of personal taste. I really, REALLY have tried to like Rogers Lakewood. I can see its merits and I should like it, but I don't. I don't think its overrated, I'm just not feeling it. I've played other hard courses that I've liked, and really to be a great course it has to be hard, so I'm not holding the "hard" against it. It's just...I don't know, I get bored when I play there. I have a really, really hard time remembering what hole is which between hole #6 and hole #14. It's all a blur of huge poison ivy plants and overgrown shule. By the time I walk up the hill at #16, I'm done. I check out, stop concentrating, start losing discs...just waiting for it to be over.

I should like it. I really should. I wish I did. I don't, though.

I'm not a big fan of Houck designed courses. The exception would be Pease Park. Both the 18 and 21 hole layouts were great, although I liked the 21 hole layout best.

When I was visiting the twin cities I played a bunch of courses. I was expecting BRP to be one of the best courses I ever played. Don't get me wrong, it was a quality course and definitely one of my top ten if not top 5 courses. But it just didn't WOW me. Honestly I thought Bryant Lake Park was much better than BRP.

I like BRP a lot, for a lot of reasons, but I think there's better golf at other courses here.

NGCT

it's a good course, but I don't think it's the "omgz best course evarrrr" course that ATL people make it seem to be

lots of good to very good holes ... maybe the flow seems a little wonky to me? or maybe it seems like you're enduring the round rather than enjoying the round? ... not sure

I'd say it's a 3.75-4 disc course, whereas a bunch of locals would probably give it 4.25-4.5 ... not a HUGE difference, but different enough I guess

Personally I'd rather play Little Mulberry to NGCT ... I just seem to enjoy it more for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

veterans (DFW)
bear creek (DFW)
lester lorch beaver & coyote (same thing Three Putt said about Briscoe Woods)
fountain hills AZ
morley field CA
most california courses in general

and flip city
even though flip makes my top 10, it was impossible to live up to the hype it enjoys. awesome course, super fun, possibly one of the best par 3 courses ever, but definitely not a 5 IMO.

Just didn't like it.

Did you get to play the Web payout? Web is where it's at!

NGCT

it's a good course, but I don't think it's the "omgz best course evarrrr" course that ATL people make it seem to be

lots of good to very good holes ... maybe the flow seems a little wonky to me? or maybe it seems like you're enduring the round rather than enjoying the round? ... not sure

I'd say it's a 3.75-4 disc course, whereas a bunch of locals would probably give it 4.25-4.5 ... not a HUGE difference, but different enough I guess

Personally I'd rather play Little Mulberry to NGCT ... I just seem to enjoy it more for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed. Some really great holes at NGCT, but also a lot of filler. I like NGCT, a lot, just not the best course in the area. I'd much rather play Mulberry, much better golf and as close to country-club-disc-golf as a public course can feel.

I will add Ashe County to the list. I like it, but I don't LOVE it, and I definitely don't see it as anywhere near the best course in North Carolina, which is how it's rated here. I've played it a few times, and still think the layout can be confusing, especially for a first-timer, and can feel very repetitive. A few great holes, and some great scenery for the first couple holes, but not the best course in NC, not by a long shot. I expected so much from this course because of its fating, and maybe that's why it doesn't add up to me.

Highland Hills is a much better course, and since you gotta road trip for either one, I'd point anyone towards Highland Hills before Ashe County. HH has better signage, more pads, more holes, and ample elevation.

my_two_cents300.jpg