• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

A really good desert course will be a lot different than a really good wooded course. A person that likes to launch huge hyzer bombs will love the well designed desert course, but may not appreciate a short, but very technical course in the woods. A person that throws very accurate shots within 250 feet would very likely have the opposite opinion.

Comparing this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4025

to this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6193#

could easily get much different reviews from average disc golfers because of their skill set. Both are good courses that I'd like to play. There are a lot of people that would not like one or the other.

The best courses will require everything in your arsenal. Technical control, and long bombs.

There are courses in eastern PA I dont think are as great as advertised but Id be tarred n feathered if I aaid which ones lol

Shame you limited it to PA, would love to see another thread of people raging about bad players not appreciating iron hill.

Iron Hill is a grind
I liken it to a very difficult multiple choice test in school. Every question is tough and there are no easy answers. After the 9th question youre broken down but you still have half the test to go and the questions keep getting tougher.
Its not really fun but I make sure to play it a few times a year to see how I do

which is never well lol

The best courses will require everything in your arsenal. Technical control, and long bombs.
Not all people agree as to what a "good" course is. You can build a course that requires both, but soon the complaints come in about how impossibly hard your technical holes are and the saws come to make it "better". This course is a good example. You need every shot to score well on this course and almost every review is critical of the course that exposes flaws in their game. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=6196&mode=rev

Iron Hill is a grind
I liken it to a very difficult multiple choice test in school. Every question is tough and there are no easy answers. After the 9th question youre broken down but you still have half the test to go and the questions keep getting tougher.
Its not really fun but I make sure to play it a few times a year to see how I do

which is never well lol

It's posts like this about Iron Hill that made me stay away from the course for a long time. When I finally swallowed my pride and decided to play it (gold layout) we were quite shocked how awesome and excellent and fair the course was. Sure, our scores were likely in the 90's, but we did not feel beat down at all. We walked away feeling rewarded and wanted to play again. It is definitely in my personal top 5.

Not all people agree as to what a "good" course is. You can build a course that requires both, but soon the complaints come in about how impossibly hard your technical holes are and the saws come to make it "better". This course is a good example. You need every shot to score well on this course and almost every review is critical of the course that exposes flaws in their game. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=6196&mode=rev

Nobody will ever agree on everything. But a short technical wooded course for 18 holes sounds boring to me. A wide open distance course or 18 holes also sounds boring (unless there are factors such as tons of elevation and wind to contend with).

But the best course will have everything. Some people won't like it, and those people can go **** themselves. For some reason ball golfers have realized that the best courses in the world should kick their ass, I don't know why disc golfers can't handle it.

For some reason ball golfers have realized that the best courses in the world should kick their ass, I don't know why disc golfers can't handle it.

I don't disagree with you, but challenge doesn't always equal fun. A 500' tightly wooded hole would certainly be challenging, but probably not enjoyable. The best courses are able to strike the right balance, keeping things challenging AND fun.

Something someone earlier said (too lazy to find the quote) .. 'Most CA courses in General' (are overrated).... which I would tend to agree with. CA (and to a lesser extent - the entire west coast) has far fewer courses than the Midwest/East Coast - esp when viewed at a basket/per person view. (anyone have those stats?? - would be very interested to see the actual disparity.) Because of this, it's my belief that the west coast courses (CA specifically) are going to be rated higher than somewhere where there is a larger sample set. DeLa is good, one of the better ones on the west coast. If you've only played the west coast - it's likely the best course you've ever played, and ratings will reflect that.

I tend to rate destinations with multiple courses (Steillacoom, Hornings, Four Mounds) higher per course than 'standard' (non-destination) courses.

The current course rating system could be improved, but I've yet to be disappointed when using it to determine which course to play when travelling to a new locale.

I don't disagree with you, but challenge doesn't always equal fun. A 500' tightly wooded hole would certainly be challenging, but probably not enjoyable. The best courses are able to strike the right balance, keeping things challenging AND fun.

Yeah, I think variety is a big part of keeping it fun. And I never meant to imply that you need to combine all elements into one hole.

Iron Hill is a grind

which is never well lol

I had a great time playing IH. It's mostly a matter of setting your expectations correctly.

For some reason ball golfers have realized that the best courses in the world should kick their ass, I don't know why disc golfers can't handle it.

The group of guys I play weekend rounds with are all pretty good. There are some courses that a group of six or seven will finish within 3-4 strokes from first to last. A course that will "kick their ass" would separate those that are on their A game and those that aren't on that day or even that round. So I prefer ass kicking courses because it provides a clearer picture of what your game is like at that time.

IMO, there's nothing worse than a course where you can have a bad drive and still recover with a par pretty easily. Most wide open courses fit this bill. That's why I dislike the cutting down of trees and over-trimming of bushes and undergrowth. Not everyone likes "fun, easy rounds". There's a need for those courses, but there's also a need for ass kicking courses too.

Iron Hill is a grind
which is never well lol

I recently played Iron Hill short tees to long baskets, playing solo and my own doubles game, 2 shots if needed. It was a lot of fun.:thmbup:

Dave
I always want to try out the other tees and baskets because the flow looks better and it would not be the as out of our leagur but everytime we travel there everyone insists on playing gold to gold

Dave
I always want to try out the other tees and baskets because the flow looks better and it would not be the as out of our leagur but everytime we travel there everyone insists on playing gold to gold

You got to play mostly shorts with this old guy. (Though another member of our threesome did play long tees...and shot @1,000 rated round...)

I recently played Iron Hill short tees to long baskets, playing solo and my own doubles game, 2 shots if needed. It was a lot of fun.:thmbup:

If you (like myself) can't throw 400' in the woods on multiple lines that's the layout to play. Once I started hitting the landing areas off of the white tees I could see how fair and brilliant the course was. You have to be 1000 rated to see those landing areas off the gold tees. The silver layout is good too but you need more distance than the white to hit the landing areas.

Forgot to mention Cranbury Park in Norwalk, CT. The course itself is ok, nothing special with a few nice holes. The real problem is the traffic on the course. I have played 143 courses and have never seen anything like it before, it's the other users of they park. They do not respect DGer's and it is nearly impossible to play a round without having to deal with them.

Can't believe the course has a 4.13 rating while the vastly superior Wickham is a 4.19. Just a joke.

Latest posts