• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID-19 Course Closures

Parks and Rec here in one of the Charlotte suburbs is finally threatening to pull the baskets at one of the local courses - Bailey Road. Suddenly, the tenor on the club's FB page is that voluntarily pulling the baskets MAY be a good idea. Too bad they shot down the idea a week or two ago before they starting irking local government.

Parks and Rec here in one of the Charlotte suburbs is finally threatening to pull the baskets at one of the local courses - Bailey Road. Suddenly, the tenor on the club's FB page is that voluntarily pulling the baskets MAY be a good idea. Too bad they shot down the idea a week or two ago before they starting irking local government.

You have some entertaining covidiots on that page.

Texans being, well Texans, are stubborn. You can see this when it comes to disc golf. While a handful of high-profile courses have either pulled baskets or closed in the area, as of now there are 54 courses open (according to the tremendous volunteers on this site) within 30 miles of the center of Dallas-Fort Worth. More than 10 of those open courses are 4-disc (or a small fraction short) rated. I hope those of us here who enjoy playing appreciate our good fortune and act accordingly. I fear they will not.

This past month+ has shown me how nice it is to live in Ohio.

We don't normally get a chance to say that. ;)

The public and DGers are doing a pretty good job, relatively. Most of our courses remain open.

All the golf courses are set to open back up in WI. Maybe some disc golf courses won't be too far behind. One can hope.

I heard BRP is opening back up. Not that it does me any good.

It appears everything is getting back to normal quicker than expected. Played Indian Creek in Huntsville Friday with a co-worker and his buddies (one being a doctor).

The park was packed! The walking trail was busier than normal pre-Covid. Several groups discing. Traffic was also busy getting across town. It felt weird. I had gotten used to the desolate roads and parks. Even enjoyed it.

Doc said he hasn't changed a single thing about his daily life. Pretty much the same way I lived through all of this besides going to work less. I did lie to my gf during this time, and told her I was laid off so she wouldn't spend money or ask for it.

The county next to me, Marathon county, is supposed to be opening it's parks and disc golf courses back up. Heard that yesterday and made plans to head over there and play this week. I wake up today and the hole of the day is Memorial park, one of the ones I'll be playing. What are the chances.

Bailey was still open yesterday. They have a sign up saying course is open but it's up to the people playing to keep it that way by practicing social distancing, etc. No big groups or anyone doing anything they shouldn't that I saw.

How about this post on DGS. Posted about a park system that houses a total of eight courses (including the summer only Toboggan course), 162 holes, nearly all dual tee pad. A park system that hosts United States Amateur Disc Golf Championship and Great Lakes Open, a DGPT stop. They initially had left the courses open for play, eventually put up signs begging golfers to respect distancing and to follow the rules and ultimately closed the courses and pulled the baskets.

"These parks are a joke. I took my own portable basket to a field next to the soccer fields, literally nobody but myself around. I called in advance and asked the park office, they didn't see an issue as long as I was by myself. The metropark police show up and tell me absolutely no baskets. I explain that it's just me and the basket goes home with me. I'm told I can throw my discs in the field but I can't throw at a basket lol. Seriously? Yes, this is your warning, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. Seeing as these parks all follow the same rules I call Kensington's office to see if they are in the same page. The woman calls her sargeant and he says portable baskets are fine in a field as long as I'm by myself. I ask how I'm supposed to convey this to Hudson mills and she says she'll call over there and get back to me. Calls me back, the commander says absolutely no baskets. So it's fine and almost encouraged for a family of 5 to bring out all of their bikes and head out the metroparks for a nice day together outdoors but one lone disc golfer can't throw at their own private basket that nobody else is touching? This has gone too far. Today the metroparks were featured in an article in the Detroit news about how they understand how important it is for people to have an outlet in these times and because they have so much open outdoor space, they want to do all they can to stay open for the people of the community. Then they go on to say how to be safe they've closed literally everything but the walking/biking paths. On top of this they still continue to make an employee collect entry fees face to face 4 days a week but again, remember, they're all about being safe so don't you dare bring out your own basket because it's a danger to yourself and others."

How about this post on DGS. Posted about a park system that houses a total of eight courses (including the summer only Toboggan course), 162 holes, nearly all dual tee pad. A park system that hosts United States Amateur Disc Golf Championship and Great Lakes Open, a DGPT stop. They initially had left the courses open for play, eventually put up signs begging golfers to respect distancing and to follow the rules and ultimately closed the courses and pulled the baskets.

"These parks are a joke. I took my own portable basket to a field next to the soccer fields, literally nobody but myself around. I called in advance and asked the park office, they didn't see an issue as long as I was by myself. The metropark police show up and tell me absolutely no baskets. I explain that it's just me and the basket goes home with me. I'm told I can throw my discs in the field but I can't throw at a basket lol. Seriously? Yes, this is your warning, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. Seeing as these parks all follow the same rules I call Kensington's office to see if they are in the same page. The woman calls her sargeant and he says portable baskets are fine in a field as long as I'm by myself. I ask how I'm supposed to convey this to Hudson mills and she says she'll call over there and get back to me. Calls me back, the commander says absolutely no baskets. So it's fine and almost encouraged for a family of 5 to bring out all of their bikes and head out the metroparks for a nice day together outdoors but one lone disc golfer can't throw at their own private basket that nobody else is touching? This has gone too far. Today the metroparks were featured in an article in the Detroit news about how they understand how important it is for people to have an outlet in these times and because they have so much open outdoor space, they want to do all they can to stay open for the people of the community. Then they go on to say how to be safe they've closed literally everything but the walking/biking paths. On top of this they still continue to make an employee collect entry fees face to face 4 days a week but again, remember, they're all about being safe so don't you dare bring out your own basket because it's a danger to yourself and others."

This is why I firmly believed several weeks ago this has nothing to do with a virus.

Unless you're creating some safari course I never understood the big idea with bringing your basket to the park... If you need a target just throw at your bag, a tree, that dirt spot in the field- If you need to putt just do that at home or thereabouts. Sounds like this guy was dead set on doing Simon's challenge or something.

Local golfers posted they were going to take baskets to parks that had been shut down. The rest of the local golfers let them know in no uncertain terms that they would not do that.

Using your own basket should be safe but that's not the point. The local Gov. said at the beginning of all this not to look for exceptions so "you" can do what we're asking people not to do.

Local golfers posted they were going to take baskets to parks that had been shut down. The rest of the local golfers let them know in no uncertain terms that they would not do that.

Using your own basket should be safe but that's not the point. The local Gov. said at the beginning of all this not to look for exceptions so "you" can do what we're asking people not to do.

People in Portland are talking about doing that too. I don't get the logic. People are taking this whole thing very seriously, so it's pretty much a guarantee that someone will call the police on you. I'm not 18 anymore, but I remember my mindset from when I was. And that was, "get in, get out, don't get caught". You can't very well flash mob a park if you have to lug baskets in and out with you. Plus it casts a shadow on disc golfers. Not worth it.

But, of course... When talk turned to going to an old park that had once had a course... A course that was pulled for neighbor's complaints? People spoke up about how poorly that would reflect on our community, and were quickly told to worry about themselves.

This is why I firmly believed several weeks ago this has nothing to do with a virus.

Several weeks ago, I was thoroughly convinced that groups of selfish golfers, disinterested in science and rules, were going to be the very ones responsible for putting this cat in the position he was. Though, I have little doubt that the public safety issues were the initial catalyst. Sadly, this turned out to be right on the mark. I am pretty sure, with a couple meetings with some professional, engaged golfers, this park system will put the baskets back in. Each have a couple clubs that work pretty closely with the individual parks. I don't know that this will be true of all of the park systems in my area.

Under the rules of our stay at home order in NC, parks are open but users are required to observe social distancing measures. Wake county specifically allows golfing. Wonder if that applies to disc golfing as well?

I have been in Asheville, NC for around 2 weeks and I haven't been able to find any courses open as of today. I have posted on the ones I've tried to play but many more...just not about driving the distance to find gates closed it just gets me further pissed off...:wall:

I am pissed. I've played for years by myself and rarely get within 10 feet of anyone else.

As of a week ago, the CDC said we could exercise. Now we can't?

I am probably going to throw without the baskets and dare a cop to bother me. Its either that or just throw somewhere else.

I play because its less boring than walking around a neighborhood. Not for socializing.

I feel your frustration my friend. I got blasted a few weeks ago by locals in South Carolina for playing Disc Golf in their state. Well courses weren't closed like they are today. I didn't see an issue with it. I play alone, I drive alone... so my social distancing is spot on! :hfive:

"BY THE WAY BEING FROM ALABAMA LIKE I AM, YOU THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE YOU LET AUGUST ROLL AROUND AND THERES NO COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON, THERE WILL BE RIOTS AND SHOOTINGS IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA! 101,200 OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS! <3