• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crank SS

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Anyone actually throw this thing? I don't see any threads about it.

Anyway, I found a Z Crank SS in a lake last week (172g). Good looking disc. Nice dome. I guess I can't really say I had high expectations throwing it, but this disc is just a mess.

It is SOOOO damn understable it won't stay flat. I threw some drives with a STEEP hyzer release only to see them become "throllers" (unintentional roller on a flat or hyzer release). I had a couple semi decent hyzer flips with the Crank SS when I backed off the power a bit. Top distance was about 400'.

I wanted to like this disc, but I don't. I was expecting something flippy, but I was hoping the Crank SS would have a little fade late in flight. I had a Lucid Captain and a G* Tern for comparison, and neither one of those were as flippy as this Crank SS.

I don't know who this disc is marketed for. It seems like the Crank SS violently flips as soon as it hits cruising speed. This disc reminded me a lot of a Queen or UnLace. Lots of speed, but absolutely zero beef.

Crank SS: 12, 5, -5, 1. LOTS of easy high speed turn to be had. Problem is, there isn't much, if any, late fade. This was one of the easiest-to-flip drivers I've ever thrown. Even the Nuke SS isn't this flippy.

I bag one, it's my straightest distance driver, max 380'. I own three Z's, all are flat top and all have some fade. The Ledgestone Ti I have is really flippy however.

For me the Z's fly close to their ratings.

I bag one, it's my straightest distance driver, max 380'. I own three Z's, all are flat top and all have some fade. The Ledgestone Ti I have is really flippy however.

For me the Z's fly close to their ratings.

The one I have has a big dome and is ridiculously flippy. Getting it out to 380' would require a pretty steep hyzer release. I know Discraft drivers can be inconsistent in flight. I must just have an abnormally flippy Crank SS. The disc does travel, but it's too flippy for its speed.

I actually bag two. A first run Z that is quite domey and has a very low parting line. It is very under stable. I use it as an under stable utility "circus" disc. It's handy when you need standstill distance or a long high turn. The other is a stock run Z. It is pretty much flat and has a parting line similar to a regular crank. It's basically a crank with a little more high-speed turn. Good for days when I'm not getting my usual power into it.

I do believe that Discraft has good consistency between runs but this is the greatest difference I've seen in runs of their molds. I'm not sure if they changed something or what but I think this has created confusion/dislike for the mold.

The regular Z Crank is my go to driver and it is nice to have an under stable complement that feels almost exactly the same in the hand. I hope it catches on.

I have also thrown the Ledgestone TI mentioned above and it is similar to the first run. If you're looking for the most over stable version, go with a max weight stock run Z. It's a solid disk that deserves respect. That said, big arms that throw flat will find it to flippy. For reference, I throw regular Z Cranks flipped to flat out to +/-400.

My Crank SS is a first run with a big dome and a super low parting line. I guess that explains why its so flippy. The disc definitely takes some finesse to keep flat.

The first run is VERY under stable but if I am able to keep it from turning too much (uphill/tailwind) it is capable of producing the longest drives I've ever had.

High speed and big glide can be touchy but magical. It's a fun disc.

Last edited:
Safe to assume the Prototypes are the First Run? Or did they make a run with First Run on them? I have a proto at home from when they came out but never tried it out. An understable driver might be good for this old arm, especially come fall/winter time.

Attached is a pic of what mine looks like for reference, compliments of Marshall Street.

Attachments

• crank_ss_z_prototype_stock.jpg
    crank_ss_z_prototype_stock.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
Safe to assume the Prototypes are the First Run? Or did they make a run with First Run on them? I have a proto at home from when they came out but never tried it out. An understable driver might be good for this old arm, especially come fall/winter time.

Attached is a pic of what mine looks like for reference, compliments of Marshall Street.

This isn't what mine looks like. Mine has the regular Crank SS logo, but says first run above it. I've seen other Discraft discs that were similar.

I have no clue how those prototype ones fly.

I can see the Crank SS being really long, but mine is too flippy to lay into hard. The couple decent throws I had with it were from steep hyzer angles.

I think the Discraft description of the Crank SS provides some insight:
"Just because you don't have a lot of power, doesn't mean you don't deserve more distance! Crank SS was designed to deliver significantly more distance for low-power throwers."

Finally got another shot at a different Crank SS. The first one I threw was a first run. The one I threw yesterday is a Z that isn't a first run. 171g.

This 2nd Crank SS is a lot better than the first. Its still fairly flippy, but somewhat manageable. I was carving out some ridiculous looking S curves throwing it hyzer and hard. The disc had just enough late fade to help it come back late in flight.

The Crank SS is still not a disc I'd probably ever bag, but yesterday I found out that it will fly a long, LONG way if you get the release angle right. Great, floaty glide and almost staggering distance. This Crank SS was reminding me of a Tern, but glidier. Distance was probably 450'. Accuracy was nil. This is a disc to use for hyzer flip practice. On the course it would do nothing except cost you strokes and get lost. If there's even a whisper of a breeze at your face this disc will flip hard. It is absolutely NOT a headwind disc.

Head to head against a Nuke SS the Crank SS was soaring by it. The Crank SS was also flippier and glidier.

This would be a perfect disc for noodle arms looking to touch 350' for the first time. Once you get north of 350' this disc starts getting erratic.

Last edited:
Finally got another shot at a different Crank SS. The first one I threw was a first run. The one I threw yesterday is a Z that isn't a first run. 171g.

This 2nd Crank SS is a lot better than the first. Its still fairly flippy, but somewhat manageable. I was carving out some ridiculous looking S curves throwing it hyzer and hard. The disc had just enough late fade to help it come back late in flight.

The Crank SS is still not a disc I'd probably ever bag, but yesterday I found out that it will fly a long, LONG way if you get the release angle right. Great, floaty glide and almost staggering distance. This Crank SS was reminding me of a Tern, but glidier. Distance was probably 450'. Accuracy was nil. This is a disc to use for hyzer flip practice. On the course it would do nothing except cost you strokes and get lost. If there's even a whisper of a breeze at your face this disc will flip hard. It is absolutely NOT a headwind disc.

Head to head against a Nuke SS the Crank SS was soaring by it. The Crank SS was also flippier and glidier.

This would be a perfect disc for noodle arms looking to touch 350' for the first time. Once you get north of 350' this disc starts getting erratic.

So the Crank SS isn't quite a DC Shryke then? Guess I'll have to wait for the Hades at this point.

Latest posts