• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] CRANK!

More dome adds a little more glide, but the flat ones have plenty of glide also. I carry 2 in my bag. One Z with a nice pop top dome and one flat Big Z. The Z I use when I need big D and need to finish left. The Big Z is for max D and it finishes fairly straight. I need a little wiggle room to get these to fly super far though. In a head wind I'll step up the stability to a Force. I don't trust my Cranks into strong headwinds.

More dome adds a little more glide, but the flat ones have plenty of glide also. I carry 2 in my bag. One Z with a nice pop top dome and one flat Big Z. The Z I use when I need big D and need to finish left. The Big Z is for max D and it finishes fairly straight. I need a little wiggle room to get these to fly super far though. In a head wind I'll step up the stability to a Force. I don't trust my Cranks into strong headwinds.

I'm the same, definitely don't trust it into a headwind. Ill grab my force. First run flat esp crank for me has a long shallow turn with a hard cut fade. It fits really well into my bag between my predator and force.

I have a bigZ and its a little Finnicy for sure. Get it right and its 400' all day get it wrong 300' and left.....come to think of it, maybe its me? But ironically enough I also pair it with a Z Force.

Heavy, domey Z cranks are perfect for 450 foot flat ground (sometimes longer recently, I'm proud of my small accomplishments :p) slight hyzer flips with a long, slow drift to the right or with slight anhyzer shots on higher line. Also good for a lot of hyzers. They are almost identical in shape to my much domier pop top king which has a much lower parting line that is just a hair too understable on the biggest shots I can muster. The cranks I have are all money for long golf shots, even on my most powerful rips, and I can get a significantly better grip on them than a nuke. They fly just like my well seasoned flat proline hurricanes, but honestly a hair faster. These compliment hurricanes/forces so well I'm very happy with my hurricanes and cranks. I would recommend regular sp hurricanes and heavy, domey z cranks to anyone who enjoys throwing very fast, powerful shots. If I threw long backhand rollers more often I would buy a flippy crank maybe like a flat 175 esp? And throw it a lot to wear it in. I think I'm going to buy one of those bright red opaque (big Z?) cranks with the barstamp and maybe a Heisenberg as well. Do either of those tend to be stiff and domey?

Couldn't find any current/recent threads about my new favorite distance driver - THE CRANK!! So reviving this one....

It all started out with a free tourney disc - an ESP crank that beat really quick to being mamba like understable. I wasn't really impressed with either the flight or the durability of the plastic/mold (mild tree hits produced huge dings and cuts in the edge of the disc). But somehow it managed to stay in my tournament bag, replacing my mamba. Since I've had it in the bag so long, I thought I should pick up a backup, and ran across a lightly used but still pretty fresh big z that's a lot more stable (and the plastic seems way more durable in this plastic vs ESP) - that is just about perfect stability wise right out of the box. I'm throwing this new big Z almost 400' on a line (parked #6 at Lakewood Seattle WA TWICE yesterday with a little tailwind), much love for this mold, now one of two Discraft molds in my bag (the other being the METEOR).

I just purchased a 171 Pro-d Crank to see how I would like the rim. I played a round with it today and I am very impressed with its flight. It is a great distance disc for the not so powerful throwers such as myself. I have a pacemaker and have to be very cautious of the way I perform certain tasks. So i cant just rip a disc off from the tee pad for the distance. I have to rely on form and function for the drives and the Crank works great for my needs. It doesn't require a ton of arm speed to gain the distance I was looking for. I will be purchasing the Crank in Z and ESP to see how different they are in stability. I think i found a new disc for the bag!!!!

Can anyone compare the Crank to a Prodigy D3? Is anyone using these as their main distance driver? Do they hold up well in wind? Headwind? Thinking about ditching my Prodigy D2 and just going Crank and D1 but I think the D2 is a bit better in wind. Thoughts?

I don't throw D1/D2/D3's but, I can say that the Z Crank is more beefier than the First Run ESP Crank that I bag. The ESP has gotten flippy and probably wouldn't be great for a headwind.

Can anyone compare the Crank to a Prodigy D3? Is anyone using these as their main distance driver? Do they hold up well in wind? Headwind? Thinking about ditching my Prodigy D2 and just going Crank and D1 but I think the D2 is a bit better in wind. Thoughts?

D2's are much better in the wind IMO. Crank is like a D3.5. More high sped turn than a D2 or D3. Great glide though, they certainly bomb.

D2's are much better in the wind IMO. Crank is like a D3.5. More high sped turn than a D2 or D3. Great glide though, they certainly bomb.
Have you thrown the Z or Big Z Cranks? It sounds like the ESPs are more understable?

Oh no, I didn't realize they made those. All my comments were in regards to the first few runs of ESP...should of mentioned that.

Just recently getting into them. I think I prefer D Cranks to DX Bosses... haven't tried 'em in premo plastic cuz I'm liking their stability in Pro D. They are quite glidey, and I can get them out there about as far as any other mold. It's nice to have a cheap, easily replaceable distance driver you can use for risky shots that also fills go to spot in your bag.

Plus, if I ever get a chance to play Jim Kenner's private course, I wanna feel comfortable with an all Discraft bag.

I just purchased a 171 Pro-d Crank to see how I would like the rim. I played a round with it today and I am very impressed with its flight. It is a great distance disc for the not so powerful throwers such as myself.
Agreed, noodle arms should try a D Crank.

I am loving the Big Z Crank. It is a great straight to turnover long distance disc. Holds the line really well. Not a shot shaper but more of a line holder.

Just wanted to do an update:
I now own/throw cranks in ESP, Z, Sparkle Z, Big Z, and Z flx

The z and big z are almost the same stability. Straight to under stable.- 13/5/-2/2

The esp is the most under stable, but a tailwind bomber.- 13/5/-3/1

Z flx is straight, but with more bite than the z.- 13/5/-1/2

Sparkle is the most stable, and probably my favorite. -13/5/0/1

Sorry for the blast from the past... this disc has been mentioned in many other threads, but not in its own.

Discraft isn't particularly well known for its drivers, but I think the Crank is a winner as far as high speed drivers go. I can't help but think it would be way more popular if it said "Westside" or "Innova" or some other more popular driver brand. As for Discraft pros, MJ and Austin Turner bag it.

I've thrown Z, Big Z, and ESP. I hear some compare it to a Tern, but that doesn't ring true for me at all for the ones I've thrown. I can get enough power on a 175 champ Tern to turn and burn, but the Crank does no such thing. Overall, I've been moving to speed 10-11 and below for backhand, but this still has a place in my bag for max D forehand drives. My backhand isn't nearly as good (~350), but I'll bring this disc out for less severe headwinds.

Cranks are my main distance driver. Got some beat esp ones that crush. Have a few Z for windy or tighter lines.
Only complaint is i dont feel comfortable throwing big hyzer with these. I prefer a smaller lip and diameter for that.
I would recommend a Crank for anyone looking for more distance without having to force it.
I used to throw esp forces and would force them over to get the D. Now I'm able to throw flat and clean up my form and get amazing distance.
I like a max weight esp crank with a stiff rim and medium dome.
Discraft doesn't get enough credit for this driver. Everyone complained about their drivers and now with the crank and thrasher, I feel like those were 2 huge gaps filled.
Plus they put out 3-5 great fairway drivers.
One can now easily cover any shot with discraft from ams to pros

Last edited:

Latest posts