• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crappiest Thing to Ever Happen to You on the Course?

Doubting humanity

So this didn;t happen on a course but during some field throws.

Have a couple empty baseball fiels by my house so I throw from one outfield into the outfield of the next field over. I was wrapping up my throwing sesh about halfway through my dics and I see a young brother and sister walk into the field about 8 and 4 years old for the sister. I see them picking up my discs so I send my wife over to let them know that their mine. So wife goes over tells them and they hand her a stack. I'm kind of keeping an eye on the situation but when I see them hand over discs I assume all is well and wait for them to clear uot a bit before I throw my last few.

Get done and head over the to the other field to collect my last few, the kids are still there so I hand them each a disc to try out and was going to leave them with a disc to mess around with. So the brother is throwing and I go over to drop off the rest at my bag and notice 4 discs missing. I ask the kids if they saw any others and they say no but will not make eye contact with me. I saw where my throws landed and the discs are certainly not there. I press the issue and assure them it's ok if you moved or threw them I would like to just get them back, the brother is doing most of the talking but continues ot deny. I'm getting pissed because I know he's lying but for the life of me can't find the discs I'm starting to think he may be hiding them under his shirt but don't want to look like a pervo and ask him to lift up his shirt. His sister has stayed quite the whole time and I see her circling around this pile of dirt in the outfield....Bingo, they had hidden them under the pile of dirt. I confront them tell them I'm going to find their parents and tell them but quickly realize they could care less when the kid starts giving me lip. Kind of bummed me out, I was going to give them a disc. :thmbdown:

Several years ago at Washington Park in Indy, I was doing some course maint prepping for the '92 Am Worlds. This particular task involved trimming a long branch (30'+) using a long pole-saw. The branch was about 5"-6" dia at the base. I had parked my truck a short (safe) distance away, so that there wouldn't be any problems.... (yeah, I know what you're thinking here). As I'm sawing through this bad boy, a local golfer who is playing a casual round, comes down the fairway and decides (unasked) that he will "do me a favor" and move my truck for me, jumps in, fires that bad boy up and moves it. Just as I finish the cut to remove the branch.... the tip of the branch sags to the ground as the cut is almost completed, and then, as the branch separates from the tree trunk, the tip and middle of the branch act like a huge spring... to swing that fat end like a super, baseball bat, that lands a home run swing... right in the middle of my (just moved) trucks' windshield! Shatters it, super spiderweb time! That windshield is toast. Glass everywhere. As I'm standing there with my mouth open wondering what the hell just happened, the "helpful" golfer says, "Oh, sorry man." And walks on to the next hole! :doh:

It gets better. After seeing this, I decided to call it quits for the day and go over to a nearby, club members' house, and have a cold beverage and try and relax a little. I pull out of the park and drive maybe a quarter-mile or so, hit a stop light and have to wait. A motorcycle cop is sitting opposite the intersection, facing towards me. As the light turns green, I drive on... and the cop jacks a u-turn, onto my ass and pulls me over! (in the process, he totally ignores a guy on a motorcycle to the left of me, in the left turn only lane, who pulls a hole shot to turn RIGHT, directly in front of me)! So he comes up to the truck and asks for the usual stuff... and proceeds to write me a ticket for a broken windshield!! :wall: I try and explain to him what had happened, even showing him the fresh glass all over the hood. No. Sorry. Here's your ticket. Have a nice day! :thmbdown:

A few weeks ago a couple of friends took me to a course in an urban area. My buddy who drove left his wallet and brand new iPhone in his glove box and thought he locked his SUV we played the round and come back that he must have not locked it up as he thought and had his wallet and iPhone stolen, as well as a broken PS3 in the back.

His sister has stayed quite the whole time and I see her circling around this pile of dirt in the outfield....Bingo, they had hidden them under the pile of dirt. I confront them tell them I'm going to find their parents and tell them but quickly realize they could care less when the kid starts giving me lip. Kind of bummed me out, I was going to give them a disc. :thmbdown:

Was playing hole #9 at a local course which has a tennis court and playground nearby. I see some people over by the playground. I'm trying out a fairly new disc and decide to throw it forehand instead of back. It clears the tennis court fence and starts to fade towards the playground so I yell 'FORE!' not knowing if they would hear me.

I'm watching the dad and kids running around near my disc and moving sand with their feet. As I get closer I can't see it anywhere. I ask them if they have seen a disc land and they shrug their shoulders. The dad is holding a stick and I'm trying to be polite. When I say, 'I saw it land over here' and start kicking sand, the dad walks over to a pile of sand and starts to uncover it with his stick.

I pick it up, says 'Thanks' and walk off. Something I wouldn't encourage with my own kids, but in my opinion it was messed up.

A few weeks ago a couple of friends took me to a course in an urban area. My buddy who drove left his wallet and brand new iPhone in his glove box and thought he locked his SUV we played the round and come back that he must have not locked it up as he thought and had his wallet and iPhone stolen, as well as a broken PS3 in the back.

i had a word with a particular friend of mine about precautionary measures. i unlocked my car for him because he needed to get some handwarmers and set up his camera/gather his things.

i went off and started practicing while he did his thing.

end of the round . . . go to unlock the door . . . oh. well then. LOCK MY GOD DAMN DOOR WHEN YOU'RE DONE, please and thank you.

WE had our mini this weekend. My card had finished up and we went to the next teepad (#10) to add up the scores. The teesigns are slanted and good for writing on. A group not in the mini was behind us teeing on #9. One of thier drives way over shot the basket and hit the girl next to me on the head. I was adding the scores and she was checking my math, and her the thunk and her yell, then saw the spinning disc on the ground. It was a blind shot for the other group, so I don't think they even knew they hit someone, but we thought we were ok on the next teepad. They really had to over drive the basket by a lot, and had to put it way off to the side as well. She was trying not to cry, it smacked her pretty good right on the side of the head. Probably would have hit me if she wasn't there.