• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crappiest Thing to Ever Happen to You on the Course?

Qikly

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
So, I gotta get something off my chest. Apologies in advance for the public complaining. Hey, it's the internet - that's what it's here for, right? Commiserate and share stories as you like.

I'm out playing at Lafreniere Park today - nice day, ~55, though a good bit of wind - and I'm enjoying myself. About 2/3s of the way through my round I see these two kids - one guy, one girl, ~16 or so - milling about around a sizable hill that the basket of the hole I'm playing is on. I basically have the course to myself, so I'm rethrowing drives, etc. As I'm collecting my extra discs and setting up to putt, they make a show of running across the hill between me and the basket, giggling, etc. Whatever. I putt out, I move on.

A few holes later the pair walks up to me and the girl approaches me, awkwardly. She asks me if I found a phone. Nope, sorry, no phone. She kind of mills around though, as if she's expecting something more. So I ask her, where'd you lose it? What's it look like? She tells me it was on the hill she ran by. The course loops back around in that direction later on, so I tell her I'll keep an eye out for it, and call someone in the contacts if I happen to find it. Still, weirdly, they mill around the tee area after we talk, but I shrug it off and move on.

~10-20 minutes later, I've finished my round and am doing a bit of field work in an open, central area of the park. It's a perfect spot - dead flat, and at least 500-600 feet long and probably 300+ feet wide. Anyway, I'm in the process of collecting some discs after a series of throws, and a cop car comes driving across the field, heading towards me. Hmm, I think. As he pulls up, the cop beckons emphatically to me to come near. Am I about to get chewed out for throwing in the field? Literally one family was out there, and I was being sure to steer clear of them. I've thrown in this field dozens of times. Anyway, he rolls down his window and says in his best pissed-off cop voice, "Give me the phone."

"What, you mean that girl's phone?"

"Yeah, give it here."

I proceed to tell him that no, I don't have the phone. I explained that she had approached me and asked if I'd seen it, and that was all. As a show of good faith, I offer to empty my bag to prove my innocence. It's a Simian, so it's a process. :)D) I pull out my pockets, I show him pictures on my phone to prove it's mine. The guy is kind of a dick about the whole thing, even after I think it'd be clear that I'm being forthright and don't have this damn phone. Meanwhile, two more cars pull up into the field - another police car, and a park truck as well - so I'm hemmed in on three sides by official-looking vehicles while the whole park looks on. I'm not a particularly prideful guy, but it's kind of embarrassing.

The bag is empty, my pockets are empty, I don't have the phone. The guy makes a joke about me being Houdini, having hidden the stolen goods, but then says "he's convinced I don't have it." No kidding, bro. As I pack my bag up, I tell him that I think the kids deserve getting chewed out for calling the police on someone who they've assumed stole something from them with no evidence whatsoever. The guy actually defends the girl, which doesn't make sense to me, but then again, neither does the SWAT-like approach on a Suspected Phone Thief.

Anyway, we disperse, and I try and do a bit more fieldwork, mostly to not just run to my car and leave immediately after the incident. I stop in the bathroom as I'm heading out and see the kids hanging near a set of exercise equipment. I am very torn/tempted to go say something to them. It's not okay to call the cops on someone like that. It's absurd. Worst of all, I've actually found and returned phones to the park office out at that park before. I'm a good guy. I'm not going to steal your f*cking phone.

I think of chewing them out, of threatening violence, of rationally talking to them to make the point that reasonable people who don't steal phones also come to parks and you should probably not call the cops on them when unwarranted, but decide that, a) I could really lose my temper getting involved into this sort of a conversation and, b) no good's going to come of this. If they're dumb and disrespectful enough to call the cops on a guy with no material cause, they're not going to glean any lesson from a conversation with said guy. I see them eyeing me as I walk away, but just suck it up and get into my car. I ended up heading to the local comic shop and picking up a bunch of new things to read. Stimulating the local economy helped vent my frustration for some reason.

ANYWAY, TL;DR: I had the cops called on me out on the course today for a crime I didn't do and got swarmed in public fashion. What crappy things have happened to you on the course?

So, I gotta get something off my chest. Apologies in advance for the public complaining. Hey, it's the internet - that's what it's here for, right? Commiserate and share stories as you like.

I'm out playing at Lafreniere Park today - nice day, ~55, though a good bit of wind - and I'm enjoying myself. About 2/3s of the way through my round I see these two kids - one guy, one girl, ~16 or so - milling about around a sizable hill that the basket of the hole I'm playing is on. I basically have the course to myself, so I'm rethrowing drives, etc. As I'm collecting my extra discs and setting up to putt, they make a show of running across the hill between me and the basket, giggling, etc. Whatever. I putt out, I move on.

A few holes later the pair walks up to me and the girl approaches me, awkwardly. She asks me if I found a phone. Nope, sorry, no phone. She kind of mills around though, as if she's expecting something more. So I ask her, where'd you lose it? What's it look like? She tells me it was on the hill she ran by. The course loops back around in that direction later on, so I tell her I'll keep an eye out for it, and call someone in the contacts if I happen to find it. Still, weirdly, they mill around the tee area after we talk, but I shrug it off and move on.

~10-20 minutes later, I've finished my round and am doing a bit of field work in an open, central area of the park. It's a perfect spot - dead flat, and at least 500-600 feet long and probably 300+ feet wide. Anyway, I'm in the process of collecting some discs after a series of throws, and a cop car comes driving across the field, heading towards me. Hmm, I think. As he pulls up, the cop beckons emphatically to me to come near. Am I about to get chewed out for throwing in the field? Literally one family was out there, and I was being sure to steer clear of them. I've thrown in this field dozens of times. Anyway, he rolls down his window and says in his best pissed-off cop voice, "Give me the phone."

"What, you mean that girl's phone?"

"Yeah, give it here."

I proceed to tell him that no, I don't have the phone. I explained that she had approached me and asked if I'd seen it, and that was all. As a show of good faith, I offer to empty my bag to prove my innocence. It's a Simian, so it's a process. :)D) I pull out my pockets, I show him pictures on my phone to prove it's mine. The guy is kind of a dick about the whole thing, even after I think it'd be clear that I'm being forthright and don't have this damn phone. Meanwhile, two more cars pull up into the field - another police car, and a park truck as well - so I'm hemmed in on three sides by official-looking vehicles while the whole park looks on. I'm not a particularly prideful guy, but it's kind of embarrassing.

The bag is empty, my pockets are empty, I don't have the phone. The guy makes a joke about me being Houdini, having hidden the stolen goods, but then says "he's convinced I don't have it." No kidding, bro. As I pack my bag up, I tell him that I think the kids deserve getting chewed out for calling the police on someone who they've assumed stole something from them with no evidence whatsoever. The guy actually defends the girl, which doesn't make sense to me, but then again, neither does the SWAT-like approach on a Suspected Phone Thief.

Anyway, we disperse, and I try and do a bit more fieldwork, mostly to not just run to my car and leave immediately after the incident. I stop in the bathroom as I'm heading out and see the kids hanging near a set of exercise equipment. I am very torn/tempted to go say something to them. It's not okay to call the cops on someone like that. It's absurd. Worst of all, I've actually found and returned phones to the park office out at that park before. I'm a good guy. I'm not going to steal your f*cking phone.

I think of chewing them out, of threatening violence, of rationally talking to them to make the point that reasonable people who don't steal phones also come to parks and you should probably not call the cops on them when unwarranted, but decide that, a) I could really lose my temper getting involved into this sort of a conversation and, b) no good's going to come of this. If they're dumb and disrespectful enough to call the cops on a guy with no material cause, they're not going to glean any lesson from a conversation with said guy. I see them eyeing me as I walk away, but just suck it up and get into my car. I ended up heading to the local comic shop and picking up a bunch of new things to read. Stimulating the local economy helped vent my frustration for some reason.

ANYWAY, TL;DR: I had the cops called on me out on the course today for a crime I didn't do and got swarmed in public fashion. What crappy things have happened to you on the course?

I've had a few less-than-stellar rounds. I am to be pitied.

i bought an old jls online. nice and chalky. let me buddy throw it first cuz im nice. it was cold out. shattered my disc on the first throw. never have i thrown a jls to date. oh yeah and to top it off he submitted his disc on vibram broken disc challenge and won. and vibram never sent it.

I would not let it go. I'm heading to the police station to file a complaint, I'm going to city hall to follow up on that and I'm talking to the local newspaper(s) - unless they are incompetent.

If I don't get at least an apology in writing I'm dropping the lawsuit hint. I probably wouldn't follow through with the lawsuit, but I'm dropping the hint.

But that's just me.

that blows, man. i would've waved to them or something and smiled, make them think i'd really done it. i love getting under the skin of those types once they piss me off. you're not gonna convince them otherwise, so just troll them.

er, i mean, be a nice person like we're supposed to be. you definitely took the higher road; i prefer to do so myself, but sometimes i just have say "you know what? nope."

kiiiiiiinda like today.

was practicing the front 4 of my local course and a guy and his GF decided to wander up the fairway. reeeeeally slow. they saw me, walked past the basket and continued straight down the path of play. so i waved, hollered "hey!" to be friendly and they just looked at me like i was an idiot. so i hollered again, asking if they minded me throwing. they said no and stood there. so then i asked if they would please move because that is actually the fairway and i really wouldn't want to hit one of them. they tromped off the pathway into deeper snow, bitching the whole way; the BF especially . . . who thought it would be funny and cool to yell as i was throwing. totally screwed me up; i jerked my head around to see what was wrong and turned it over completely, would've taken his head off if he hadn't kept moving. he asked me what the **** i was doing and i told him that's why i asked them to move, never know what's going to happen when i throw, trying to make it humorous. he tells ME to watch where i'm throwing and continues walking up the right side of the fairway, laughing with his GF.

anyway, i continue to throw my discs from the teepad and i'm packing up when they get tee-high and this guy is clearly trying to appear tough. he is STILL talking smack to his girlfriend about me and dg'ers in general. i'm ready to just walk by him (why is he so close to the tee?) and he turns to tell me that i need to be more careful, that he could sue if i hit him.

kid's probably 17. what the HELL is wrong with him?

so i drop my bag and turn; at this point i'm done just pretending i'm not angry, and start reaming him out, something along the lines of hey f****t, if this was a "**** your goat in the woods course" they'd have beds instead of baskets. get a ****ing clue; if you wandered onto a football field or a golf course and got hurt in the middle of a game everyone would laugh at your dumb ass. you yelled to intentionally screw me up; i'm glad i almost hit you, it should teach you to keep your mouth shut, and so on and so forth.

he called me a spazz and kept walking. i'm okay with that.

the only other time i've had something really lame was when i left my putter in the basket at hole 5 at oakwood, played hole 6, ran back to hole 5 when i realized i had no putter . . . and it was already gone. 5 minutes tops.

meh. you win some, you lose some.

Qikly, I've been stopped by the police and put in the back of a squad car because I was wearing a leather jacket; someone robbed a circle k nearby, and the description was "guy in a leather jacket."

Eventually another cop car showed up, and they showed me to someone in the other car, and luckily they said it wasn't me.

It's pretty scary when you are assumed guilty of something you didn't do, by the police no less.

I've had a few less-than-stellar rounds. I am to be pitied.

Yep. Besides losing a couple discs, I'd say this is the worst that's happened to me.

There was that one time I fell off the back of the teepad. My friend witnessed it and busted out with his contagious cackle. I mean, when you see a fat guy biff it and roll off the pad into a cloud of dust, it's pretty funny...even though it hurt. :p

Playing Elm Creek #5 a couple years ago in the AM around early June. Dewey morning and long wet grass. I hooked my drive into the trees on the right not far off the tee by the swamp. Pitched out and had a long 300 ft shot uphill. During my throw on a full rip my front plant foot slipped out and I fell straight down onto my left leg and fractured my fibula and severely sprained my ankle. Had to hop up that hill on one leg to get to the parking lot and go to the ER. Was out of commission for 2.5 Months and it never has got back to 100%. So that was a real ****ty day.

I run the local best disc league. I used to have Tuesdays off work so I'd spend most of the afternoon working on the course with nobody else around. I was there in the park one day when a cop came up; some methhead had done something in the neighborhood across the street and run off into the park. The cop gets to the park and I'm the first guy he sees so the cop decides I must be the guy he is looking for. He started yelling at me to freeze and has his gun drawn (he wasn't pointing it at me but he had it in his hand.) He was yelling at me to get down, but I was freaked out just standing there. Before he walked over to cuff me of whatever he was going to do, his radio went off that the suspect was spotted someplace else. He turned and ran off to the car; never even yelled "sorry" or anything.

I have a friend that is a deputy sheriff; she filled in what was going on to me later and said I didn't fit the description of the suspect at all. She said that the dude they were looking for was well known with local law enforcement. He is taller. skinnier, has a beard and darker hair and scabs all over his face. :\ The cop just flaked or something.

A few weeks later there was a big fight in front of a duplex across the street. I forget the details but I remember they were holding one guy back and the other dude kept yelling "Man, I didn't know that was your baby momma!" The same cop came over and asked me what I saw. He acted like he had never seen me before. :|

*starts to realize that the neighborhood across the street sucks*

Playing Elm Creek #5 a couple years ago in the AM around early June. Dewey morning and long wet grass. I hooked my drive into the trees on the right not far off the tee by the swamp. Pitched out and had a long 300 ft shot uphill. During my throw on a full rip my front plant foot slipped out and I fell straight down onto my left leg and fractured my fibula and severely sprained my ankle. Had to hop up that hill on one leg to get to the parking lot and go to the ER. Was out of commission for 2.5 Months and it never has got back to 100%. So that was a real ****ty day.

That is a pretty long one-legged hop. Yuck.

I dislocated my shoulder on my throwing arm on hole 2 at Acorn years ago. It was the fourth or fifth dislocation of that shoulder so I managed to pop it back in and walked the rest of the round with the group.

Had the opposite of this happen to me one time. A friend and I are sledding at local park that has a practice basket at the top of the sledding hill. So during a break from sledding we throw some putts around and leave the disc in the basket. We start sledding again (we were only ones in the park) then we see a group of people throwing our disc's around as they walk into the woods. My friend yells for them to stop as I run up the hill towards them. They stop and present one of the three disc that was in the basket, I start asking what happened to the rest when my buddy finally gets up the hill he says simply "cough up the disc or your gonna be coughing up some teeth. My buddy is a huge guy and would of dropped all of these guys in a heartbeat. I have a cooler head and see that a cop has just pulled up to the park. So we go over to the cop tell him we caught this group with our disc and that we are still missing two of them. The cop signals the group over and as they walk over the guy that did most of the talking on their side is like "Hey tim what's up?" to the cop. Well the cop didn't even get out of his car and let them go. We were pissed but continued on sledding. Later we saw them looking for something around the shelter then they left. Before we left we went to change into some warm clothes in the heated bathrooms where we found one of their cell phones, needless to say that phone got bashed pretty good. I figure they threw the disc and lost them in the snow and didn't want to fess up about it. If they would have just told us the the area where they threw them I woulda been cool but the lies were to much. If the cop wouldnt have pulled up I don't think I could have calmed my buddy down and there would have been a fight. Which I am glad didn't happen.

About 14 or 15 years ago, some ******* broke into my truck's toolbox at Hudson Mills Metropark (Dexter, MI) and stole about 50 Discs. Ace Discs, lots of old stuff like Barracudas and old mold Whippets, early '90s Aviar P & As, Pegasus, etc. I filed a complaint with the police and they essentially said there was nothing that could be done unless they showed up to a pawn shop or something. Indeed, I never saw them or heard of it again.

I remember hearing a bunch of screaming and hollering back when I was on the course a good hour earlier, much longer and much more excitedly than after a good shot/ace run or something, young people going, "I can't believe you, man!, etc." I'm guessing they were the ****tards that did it.

They may have had all of my early Discs (most of them were OS stuff that beginners can't throw well), but I still wouldn't want to trade lives with them. In the big picture, I'm guessing they haven't lived well in the past 14 years. I'm hoping they've spent some time in jail for something else and got anally raped, to be honest. Maybe I'm just biased...

It's more the way the officer approached you about it. If he'd have started with "We've had a complaint about a stolen cell phone" and gone from there it probably would have gone much better. Cop gets a call, he's gotta go check it out, but they don't need to harass you like that right of the bat.

Worst thing to happen to me on a course:

Last year we were playing at Grigg's with some friends when my brother's disc bag got swarmed by yellow jackets. He must have set his bag down on a nest or something, but it was suddenly surrounded by the little buggers.

At this time I noticed our doggy looking like she was in pain, and I saw that a few yellow jackets had latched onto her. I went over and started trying to get the bees off of her and I got stung once in the process while pup sustained a few stings. Luckily, she was alright and that was the worst of the ordeal. We had to wait several minutes while my brother avoided getting his bag because he was being very manly about it ;). Eventually our friend salvaged it for him.

Then I heard that one of our friend's was playing Grigg's a week or so later and he got swarmed and stung around 6 times, no kidding. No idea what's going on at that park.

my girlfriend and our dog were with me playing a heavily wooded course. they went off the trail between holes to explore the woods and got attacked by bees. she got stung several times, the dog did too but when i looked he was nonchalantly eating most of them. she refuses to go back to the course. i haven't asked the dog but i doubt he would mind.

that blows, man. i would've waved to them or something and smiled, make them think i'd really done it. i love getting under the skin of those types once they piss me off. you're not gonna convince them otherwise, so just troll them.

er, i mean, be a nice person like we're supposed to be. you definitely took the higher road; i prefer to do so myself, but sometimes i just have say "you know what? nope."

kiiiiiiinda like today.

was practicing the front 4 of my local course and a guy and his GF decided to wander up the fairway. reeeeeally slow. they saw me, walked past the basket and continued straight down the path of play. so i waved, hollered "hey!" to be friendly and they just looked at me like i was an idiot. so i hollered again, asking if they minded me throwing. they said no and stood there. so then i asked if they would please move because that is actually the fairway and i really wouldn't want to hit one of them. they tromped off the pathway into deeper snow, bitching the whole way; the BF especially . . . who thought it would be funny and cool to yell as i was throwing. totally screwed me up; i jerked my head around to see what was wrong and turned it over completely, would've taken his head off if he hadn't kept moving. he asked me what the **** i was doing and i told him that's why i asked them to move, never know what's going to happen when i throw, trying to make it humorous. he tells ME to watch where i'm throwing and continues walking up the right side of the fairway, laughing with his GF.

anyway, i continue to throw my discs from the teepad and i'm packing up when they get tee-high and this guy is clearly trying to appear tough. he is STILL talking smack to his girlfriend about me and dg'ers in general. i'm ready to just walk by him (why is he so close to the tee?) and he turns to tell me that i need to be more careful, that he could sue if i hit him.

kid's probably 17. what the HELL is wrong with him?

so i drop my bag and turn; at this point i'm done just pretending i'm not angry, and start reaming him out, something along the lines of hey f****t, if this was a "**** your goat in the woods course" they'd have beds instead of baskets. get a ****ing clue; if you wandered onto a football field or a golf course and got hurt in the middle of a game everyone would laugh at your dumb ass. you yelled to intentionally screw me up; i'm glad i almost hit you, it should teach you to keep your mouth shut, and so on and so forth.

he called me a spazz and kept walking. i'm okay with that.

the only other time i've had something really lame was when i left my putter in the basket at hole 5 at oakwood, played hole 6, ran back to hole 5 when i realized i had no putter . . . and it was already gone. 5 minutes tops.

meh. you win some, you lose some.

This reminds me of a time at leagues when two ladies were lounging in the middle of hole 13's fairway. It's got a bit of a bottleneck off the tee so there aren't many ways to steer clear if someone's sitting in the right spot. My cardmates seemed content to just throw and let what happen happen. Me, I'm a negotiator. I approached the ladies to make them aware that we'd be throwing and one was basically, "Go ahead." "Well, I wouldn't want you to get hit, ma'am..." (that's a hint to move, lady.) "Neither would I."

Oh well. One of the cardmates just recommended we aim right for 'em. Way we were playing, that was probably the safest way to go.

Qikly, I've been stopped by the police and put in the back of a squad car because I was wearing a leather jacket; someone robbed a circle k nearby, and the description was "guy in a leather jacket."

Eventually another cop car showed up, and they showed me to someone in the other car, and luckily they said it wasn't me.

It's pretty scary when you are assumed guilty of something you didn't do, by the police no less.

I got pulled over a few months ago with two buddies on the way to a concert. Apparently our car matched that of three guys who had just committed an armed robbery. My friends are great, but not exactly the hardened criminal types. The cop approached the car and took one look at us and was basically like, "Never mind."

OP- You should of had the Cops or her Boyfriend call the cell to hear where it was.

It seemed like they were trying it, to no avail.

It's more the way the officer approached you about it. If he'd have started with "We've had a complaint about a stolen cell phone" and gone from there it probably would have gone much better. Cop gets a call, he's gotta go check it out, but they don't need to harass you like that right of the bat.

This is exactly how I felt. Of course the officer has no idea if I've stolen the phone or not. I respect that he's just doing his job. But, innocent until proven guilty, right? And the whole John Wayne ride-in-on-your-horse approach was a bit over the top. Ah, well.

I've had a friend get robbed before on the course. Guy came up and told him to give him his bag.

Seen cars with their windows smashed out.

And the crappiest is the numerous people that have died on the course.

Let's see...had to go to the ER after a yellow jacket got me, broke my tibia, ribs, tore oblique, robbed by a senior citizen, and been harassed by cops several times.