• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crazy things seen on the course...

So the course I play most is in 370 acre park a few miles outside town. We always smell skunks, but never see them. Literally I haven't seen one ever. That all changed the other day, when out of nowhere there were several hundred all over the course....it was like a skunk invasion. Went back to play a few days later and again not a skunk in sight. Very strange.

Solty said:
we had a momma black bear and two cubs walk through a hole during a tournament a year or so ago...
hardly crazy, but this is from hole 4 at my home course yesterday (crappy old cell phone-cam, sorry).
First roe deer I've seen there, nice of them to keep out of the fairway :)
raadyrpeg.jpg

Played during the most ridiculous thunderstorm I've ever been outside under. Lightning was hitting the ground all around us. Oh, and evidently there was a Tornado less than a mile away. Awesome.

At an object course in Flagstaff, the parking lot is about two hundred feet from hole 18. It's also downhill.

A guy we played the last couple holes with said if he made his disc into his pickup bed, we all had to give him ten dollars. He did.

Skipped right off the bottom of his bed into his back glass, shatters it.

If it was less than 60 bucks to replace, he came out alright.

Personally, it was well worth the ten bucks to see his face.

It was his best shot all day.

Jeronimo said:
Played during the most ridiculous thunderstorm I've ever been outside under. Lightning was hitting the ground all around us. Oh, and evidently there was a Tornado less than a mile away. Awesome.

Lightning is the one thing I won't play DG in.

Frank Delicious said:
Jeronimo said:

yup.

Frank Delicious said:
Jeronimo said:

It was ludicrous. Easily the dumbest thing i've ever done on the course considering just how CLOSE the lightning was. It was random dubz for cash though, I wasn't going to be the one who pussed out...

Yeah, I've played ball golf in light rain. It occurred to me at the time that we were each carrying around a bag full of lightning rods but nothing happened.

I have played golf (as opposed to disc golf) many many many times in heavy rain. My fondest memory is of a round where it rained so much on the last 3 holes that every bunker turned into a water hazard and there was a 10' wide stream going through the green and over the last hole. You had to be pretty determined when putting to get it to go anywhere.

Of course there was a massive lightning storm included, but finishing the round is more important.

Jeronimo said:

Update: National Weather Service declared there were two legit Tornado's in the area. One of which we could see. Awesome.

Everyone I play league with goes running to their cars at the first sign of lightning. You've got some balls my friend.

I played golf back in high school on one of the nicer courses in town and it started snowing big, fluffy flakes on hole 17. The marshal was nowhere to be seen, so we decided to finish up. We used orange mini-golf balls (I don't remember why we had them) for 18 and only managed to find our drives because the snow was already deep enough to leave tracks. Our putts on 18 just rolled up into baseball sized snowballs after about 15'. We finished with 4 putts and called it a day.

I also knocked out a goose on a fairway at a course in SoCal that I played at. All his buddies were circled around him as we came over the crest and saw them, he laid there perfectly still for about 20 seconds as we approached and I thought he was dead. When we got close enough his buddies all ditched him and he hopped up and took off. Faker.

Never seen anything interesting on the disc golf course, save for the event that started this thread.

Saw a gator in the water, threw my disc in the water, and then had to go in the murky water up to my chest to get it (it was my 2FR Buzzz).

I was at my home course one day, and it had been raining, so there were ponds of water everywhere, and the temp was in the high 40's. These two dogs come out of no where, and one of the dogs heads straight for one of the ponds of water, and jumps in and starts rolling around and gets soaking wet, then runs off into the woods.

I could understand if it was a hot day, but it was in the 40's , so I know this dog must be cold. It was crazy.

Definitely had squirrels humping while a friend was teeing off last month, golfing with a few guys in town from Oklahoma for Am Worlds.