• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my field work

newguy

im pretty new to DG, maybe 1 1/2 yrs. i come from a lifting background and have come up with a program that seems to help me. each day takes less than a hour, more like 45min. i never go more than 3 days in row and i try not to take more than 1 day off. im over 40 and im sure some of the younger guys could handle more volume but for now this works for me. any comments would be welcomed. im always trying to find ways to improve my game.

Day 1
Putt - tape measure drill - until complete
BH - putter up shots - less than 50yd - 2 x 6 = straight flight in putting circle
FH - putter up shots - less than 50yd - 2 x 6 = straight flight in putting circle
BH - Rocs/putters - 2 x 15 = straight flight 70+ yds
FH - Rocs/putters - 2 x 15 = straight flight 70+ yds
Total reps = 84

Day 2
Putt - fence drill - 10 min
tommy pancake - 2 x 5= land flat in putting circle
thumber pancake - 2 x 5= land flat in putting circle
flick roller - 2 x 10 = Distance/Accuracy
FH - Hyzer - 2 x 10 = accuracy
BH - Hyzer - 2 x 10 = accuracy
Total reps = 80

Day 3
Putt - lay out drill
BH - Roc up shots - less than 70yds - 2 x 10 = hyzer in putting circle
FH - Roc up shots - less than 70yds - 2 x 10 = hyzer in putting circle
BH - Drivers - Distance - 2 x 10 = Max Effort
FH - Drivers - Distance - 2 x 10 = Max Effort
Total reps = 80

Day 4
Putt 5@ 5-7-10 yd
Tomahawk - 2 x 5 = Distance
Thumber - 2 x 5 = Distance
BH - Rollers - 2 x 10 = Distance/straight
FH - Annies - 2 x 10 = control
BH - Annies - 2 x 10 = control

anyway, this is what i try to do in the mornings before work and in the evenings i just play.

Putt - tape measure drill - until complete
BH - putter up shots - less than 50yd - 2 x 6 = straight flight in putting circle
FH - putter up shots - less than 50yd - 2 x 6 = straight flight in putting circle
BH - Roc up shots - less than 70yds - 2 x 10 = hyzer in putting circle
FH - Roc up shots - less than 70yds - 2 x 10 = hyzer in putting circle
Are the 50 and 70 yard numbers improving? I just want to make sure those numbers are there because of ability, not because you're limiting what you think a mid or putter should be able to do.

I also don't see 'S' shots on there at all. Learning to "work" discs so you control when they turn, how much they turn and when (or if) they come back at the end is a really good thing to do.

How happy with you with how far you're currently throwing?

That does sound like a lot of work... Props to you for your dedication. U make me feel like the fat girl in class sitting next to the cheerleader.

no, id like my drives to be farther. i might can get 340ish backhand and 300' forehand. sometimes i can get the S curve, sometimes not. its a fine line for me flipping the disc and it coming back. wind really effects that for me. i cant S curve a roc or putter but i can flip them.

no, id like my drives to be farther. i might can get 340ish backhand and 300' forehand. sometimes i can get the S curve, sometimes not. its a fine line for me flipping the disc and it coming back. wind really effects that for me. i cant S curve a roc or putter but i can flip them.
You'll probably need to throw a new putter or Roc on a slight anhyzer to get an 'S' out of them. They aren't horribly easy to get 'S' flights out of as they tend to "stick" to the second direction they go during the flight. In other words, if you flip one up from a hyzer then get it to turn over it will tend to stay that way rather than coming back. It's a lot easier to get a workable fairway driver to do that full 'S.'

If you're looking to improve distance I'd recommend more work on that and less with the specific line shaping. Spending that much time on hyzers and anhyzers when your base technique isn't set will just enforce muscle memory you don't want. FWIW, Dan Beto learned to throw really far by working only on snap and distance for a couple hours a day for a couple months. "Working on distance" might not even be the right term. It's more like he was working on his driving technique. With better driving technique will come distance and control. I consider those Roc/putter reps to be working on technique.

The upshot work is a great idea but it may get less important as you get better at it. By nature, those shorter shots are easier to make so might not require as much work. Landing next to the basket from 150' away will start to become automatic and won't require a lot of work to keep that way.

In short, this looks like a good way to slowly improve most parts of your game but it will be difficult to make distance improvements considering the plateau you're at. If you're OK with how far you're throwing it looks like a great way to work on all parts of your game. It is probably worth monitoring some of those drills to see if there are some you're getting really good at and reevaluating what you need to really work on from time to time.

This looks awesome. I might print it out and use it myself.
You'll have to come back after some time and let us know how much you feel you've improved.

i took out FH annies. i just can not see where id throw this instead of a BH hyzer. i really feel like my putting and mid game have gotten better. there is no wind in the mornings and always seem to be some when i play in the evenings. this has been a minor problem in disc selection. i can now FH or BH off the tee box, it doesnt really matter to me anymore. i still get more D from the BH but im closing the gap. i havent thrown a roller off the box in league or a tourny yet. big difference in doing it in the field and when it counts. im still practicing and am looking for ways to make this better. thanks