• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my righty and lefty backhands

Diskimees

Hey

I am looking for advice on my form. I am a righty but since last summer have been learning lefty as well.

This is my right handed throw: https://youtube.com/shorts/8WGmvi3WBeg?feature=share I feel like something is off when i put power into my throw. Perhaps the footwork? Still rounding slightly? Not sure if i am properly incorporating my hips.

And this is my left: https://youtu.be/b-7eNW-kgH0 Just learning this one.

Appreciate any advice

LH - way too much stagger into plant.

Both lack sudden shift - Ride the Bull:

Thank you for the feedback, will fix those things.
I notice that i am not fully planted with my lead foot on my righty throw, pull starts a little later on my lefty. Do you think this is something I should be looking to fix?
My lefty distance is already catching up with my righty. It feels like something is really off with power generation on my righty. Any ideas?

Your swing is early because your shift is late or slow.

I have trouble understanding the weight shift. Are my hips not supposed to move from left to right at all after the plant foot has hit the ground?
Also I have head different theories regarding stepping into the plant. One is that I should step into the plant as if I was going with my hip first; the other is that I should put my plant foot to the ground purposefully ahead of my hips and then shift my weight into it. Any chance you could explain this?

You need to send your hips forward underneath the upper body before the plant to catch yourself. If you try to send them after the plant you will get jammed up or spin out.
D6TzX2A.png

Note how your shoulder is ahead of your hips and your rear knee is behind your ankle.
Note how Paul's shoulder is loaded back behind the hips and leveraged knee forward of the rear foot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 12.01.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 12.01.18 PM.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 71
To me it looks like I drop into the plant better. But my back leg is the same, like it is passive. What should be the role of the back leg? If I pushed off it, the knee would probably be the correct side of the ankle.

You are never really balanced on either foot, your center is stuck somewhere between them. Should be gliding more through the x-step. Run 100 yards/meters doing x-steps, should be a little gallop to perpetuate the motion efficiently.

First of all, I appreciate your help immensely.
I tried the figure 8, I did feel a better weight shift with it. I suppose it is an exaggerated version of what actually happens in the throw?
Would you recommend to integrate it into my run up or continue with something else? I have not yet gotten to fixing the hugging issue.
Video: https://youtu.be/W6gGbZB0Rrw

Drill - Turn front foot slightly open and keep your feet more in the ground in the drill to move the rest of your body. You should feel the pressure moving around the feet in the ground.

Your front foot is turned back too far and feet are moving sloppy.

Swing should be moving counter clockwise, following the body motion. Your swing appears to be going clockwise and fighting your body motion.

Drive leg - shift from behind in the figure 8.

Latest posts