• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my righty and lefty backhands

Both are the same throw.

1. Your left arm is behind your posterior/back instead of in front of your body anterior.

2. Drive is too late. Your front leg kicks out early.

See Hershyzer drills about front foot kicking wall early.

Your rear knee/hip is locked out extended. Fall/sit/squat into transition.

Looking better.

1. Stagger your stance walking rear foot back diagonally to give yourself more space to swing in closer to CoG/power pocket and back out away.

2. Hinge more at the hips and get your chest more over top the swing letting your right shoulder hang down while left shoulder goes up.

3. Looks like your arm swing is clockwise, instead of counter clockwise.

4. When you stride you rear knee is fully extended pushing you too far and slow. Need a more sudden and compact shift between the feet like Barry Sanders making a cut back. You move like you are over-committing yourself targetward and would be very slow trying change direction suddenly or reverse back away from target after plant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

Figure 8 without the weight, whip the arm.

You are getting too backwards on rear foot and losing balance/leverage on rear leg and kicking the wall in Hershyzer instead of butt cheek first. You want your feet/knees to separate more together instead of your feet separating way ahead of your knees. Note how much more balanced and stacked and leveraged and lateral Simon is on the rear leg.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 2.14.10 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 2.14.10 PM copy.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 43
Having reviewed that, the throw did not even deserve posting. Working on my drive leg now, will post again when I see some results. Just surprised about the difference in my form while drilling and actually throwing.

Lol, all throws tell you something. I see progress. However, the drive leg and how it relates to the swing that follows is more difficult than I appreciated and even harder when moving.

You might spend a little time with the Buttwipe drill. Pay very close attention to how SW22 talks about the foot pressures on the inside of the foot in transition. Notice how that relates to the leverage you get in the rear leg, and that there is exactly one way to drop or transition into the crush off that rear foot that is much faster than others. It's the same move in baseball and golf and so on but I find it especially challenging. You can try wider or narrower stances to help identify it. I haven't mastered it but this is helping.

Maybe a little better. But notice how your rear toe is kinda "sticky" on the ground and you're not fully everting off the rear toe. It's because you do not have a complete buttwipe. Keep working the drills.

IMO this is one of the hardest things to master in the X-step transition. It will likely take some time. Lots of the people throwing in the 400s here have some version of this problem.

Notice how Williams is sitting on the rear leg deeper longer into the buttwipe in transition. Do not try to copy his rear foot or perceive that it is backward facing. That is not the problem. Focus on the move itself.

eIurC6j.jpg

Last edited:
The change I made was straightening out the drive leg in the x-step and trying to push off it more. But as also SW has also told me multiple times, I don't get my hip forward enough ahead of the rest of my body. I manage to do it when I move slowly without a disc. Anyway, will be drilling.
Thanks to both of you.

The change I made was straightening out the drive leg in the x-step and trying to push off it more. But as also SW has also told me multiple times, I don't get my hip forward enough ahead of the rest of my body. I manage to do it when I move slowly without a disc. Anyway, will be drilling.
Thanks to both of you.

Yep, I know where you're coming from. For me, thinking of "pushing" was the wrong swing thought. Perhaps it is also helpful to think of it as helping you maintain leverage and go down into the plant. It's more like your weight is swooping into the plant underneath you than it is falling down from over top of the can or shoving directly forward off the rear leg.

I have a couple of questions that I wish to understand better, if you don't mind.
To be clear, the point of these drills in my case is to get the hip more forward from the rest of my body? And it should be caused by my drive leg? Is a part of it also that I don't go down enough into the plant?

Latest posts