• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cross ties as sign posts?

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
On a new course that I have been working on forever, I have to make a decision about what to use as sign posts. My initial thought was to use treated 4x4s and concrete for the bases. However, I can get some free, used railroad cross ties (7"x9"x8') and like the idea of using those with the obvious initial drawback of handling prior to installation (they are heavy). However, they are much more durable, free, might look better and won't require concrete for installation (I can install them with 36" in the ground).

Has anyone used them for this purpose?

Free is good, durable is good. Are they treated with a preservative that you wouldn't want directly contacting soil or hands (say, someone leans on the post or hangs their bag)?

Handling is annoying but manageable if you have time and commitment. How do you plan to attach signs? May need a burly drill.

They are treated with creosote but well used, so neither contact nor rot are an issue for me or the park owner. Signs will be attached with 1/2" lag screws. I plan to pre-drill the holes and drive the screws with a 3/8" drive ratchet.

A burly drill is a good recommendation. I don't know how deep you're going but creosoted beech and sycamore and other "junk" wood that ties are made from often turns into a fascinating gummy plastic that seizes and demolishes bits. I've burned up several drills building with ties.

If you have a good chainsaw eye/hand, it might conserve material to cut the ties in half at a steep angle before setting. Then bury the square end and you'll have a nice sloped surface on top to bolt signs to. The sign would then serve to protect the cut end of the post.