• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cross winds help please

deadbody

Eagle Member
So I live in minneapolis and don't usually have to deal with crazy winds, played on Saturday for a league (won my flight happy me) but realized that I am comfortable throwing into a headwind (toss my Destroyer most overstable thing in my bag and let it fight through the wind even though I don't really have enough arm to use it normally) and ok with a tailwind (toss my Valkeryie) But have no idea what to do in a cross wind.

I throw RHFH, if the wind is blowing left to right do I want to push into the wind a bit so that when the wind pushes the fade it gets me back to center?

When the wind is right to left do I just want to make a normal throw and expect a bit of distance before the fade since the wind will be holding it up?

I have a match today as part of the league and think I am going to have to fight this again today. Previously I just wouldn't play in crazy winds, or I wasn't serious enough to worry about it.

I do know that if you keep your disc closer to the ground, it will be less affected by the wind no matter which direction it's blowing. Also, this article might help (figure 1 is particularly helpful, in my opinion).

Great link, I was going to mention some of the things in the article, but can't put it better than they did.

Be aware that the more angle (hyzer/anhyzer) you throw with, the more of the disc that will be exposed to the crosswind, and the larger affect it will have on it.

Be aware that the more angle (hyzer/anhyzer) you throw with, the more of the disc that will be exposed to the crosswind, and the larger affect it will have on it.

This is the most I usually worry about. I pay attention to which face of the disc I'm exposing to the wind. If you've got a right to left wind and throw a hyzer (assuming FH), the disc will naturally fight the wind, but it will also be pushed down more. If it was left to right, it will lift and push a hyzer. Just being conscious of how much and which side of the flight plate is catching the wind helps a ton.

EDIT: Ace post!

Latest posts