• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Custom Carts- is this a thing?

DoWork

Double Eagle Member
I have been a custom fabricator my entire adult life. You name it from automotive/motorcycle accessories to industrial application engineering, tooling, framing and design/building. MIG/TIG/Stick welding, along with a whole host of sheetmetal and bent rod framing techniques are not only possible but used regularly in my job.

Obviously this got me thinking about making custom carts. The designs that are out there now are generally mass-produced stamped aluminum and quite honestly pretty spartan for the amount they cost. Also the wheels are pretty much all BS, the carrying capacity is meh, and the additional consideration shown in design and build is far from inspiring IMO.

Does anybody make handmade one-off carts in low volume? I am on the verge of making one that checks all my personal boxes (6er cooler down bottom, bag storage above, fold out seat and full sized MTB wheels) for my own use, but I'm just wondering what else of that caliber is out there, if anything. Is there a market for that? I'm NOT talking about custom packages you add to existing Zucas etc. I'm talking about a one-off hand built cart. Your thoughts?

My thoughts are it sounds cool but once you tally up all your time and materials I think your price point is going to be way out of most disc golfers comfort zone. There's a market to be sure but not a real big one...

If they are nice enough, I am sure you could sell enough to keep yourself busy making them if you can keep em in the ~$500 range. People already pay almost that for Zucas, when you add in all the other crap they buy for em.

I think this is a great idea. You have the build/design skills, next comes marketing and sales. If you have a plan or can come up with one for marketing and sales, you have a trifecta.

Kickstarter is one idea you might look at. Online stores like ebay...or a social networking strategy...etc

I'd be very interested to see that happen for you.

Check out custom 'gun cart' , 'range cart' and 'shooting' for something comparable.

Competitive and fancy shooters you something really similar to disc golf carts And are really in to customizing.

26" MTB wheels? So, truck carry only ;)

I doubt you can scale it to be affordable (and still make a profit), but it sure sounds cool anyway.

I think the full sized wheels might be too big/bulky/heavy.

Definitely want something better than push mower type junk wheels though.

Something like... This?

Those things are over 10lbs for the pair. No thanks. I think the wheels used in carts today are just fine - not sure how their load rating is not enough. Are you planning on carting people around? If you're going to use bike wheels maybe go with BMX wheels. At 20" they're smaller and can be built just as strong.

Those things are over 10lbs for the pair. No thanks. I think the wheels used in carts today are just fine - not sure how their load rating is not enough. Are you planning on carting people around? If you're going to use bike wheels maybe go with BMX wheels. At 20" they're smaller and can be built just as strong.

Yea, that's the problem. 10" bicycle wheels have a really low load rating (not a big deal for discs, once you add a seat..), you really do need to go to 20" to get something that'll work, or you end up with something really heavy (or, the cart wheels we normally see), or it starts to get really expensive...

Strong, light, cheap.. pick two.

Something like... This?

Nah, way too bulky without added benefit.. Generally larger diameter wheels will roll over obstacles easier, and a 26" wheel set would be a) easily serviceableand very tough, b) have a large variety of tire tread options and c) not be too heavy- but it may be too big. I will have to mess around and see what I can make work. Maybe kids' bike tires would be better, only time will tell.

I also don't really have any intentions of selling them aside from maybe a few here and there but I'm way too busy to even attempt volume. I was more wanting to see what others with similar abilities may have made themselves. I've already got some cool ideas but I like to stand on the shoulders of giants whenever possible haha

Nah, way too bulky without added benefit.. Generally larger diameter wheels will roll over obstacles easier, and a 26" wheel set would be a) easily serviceableand very tough, b) have a large variety of tire tread options and c) not be too heavy- but it may be too big. I will have to mess around and see what I can make work. Maybe kids' bike tires would be better, only time will tell.

I also don't really have any intentions of selling them aside from maybe a few here and there but I'm way too busy to even attempt volume. I was more wanting to see what others with similar abilities may have made themselves. I've already got some cool ideas but I like to stand on the shoulders of giants whenever possible haha

Well whatever you come up with please post here. I am really interested to see the results. :thmbup:

This is my ride, converted from a golf cart.

Attachments

• 20180221_071859.jpg
    20180221_071859.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 94
This is my ride, converted from a golf cart.

For reference to the OP...I used to have a setup similar to this and used it extensively for years. Golf pull cart with the bag mounted on it. Just got a Zuca backpack cart and I have to say that feels like that pulls a lot better. I have an easier time lifting it over obstacles even though it seems to weigh about the same. I would say, the one thing I miss on my Zuca are the wide footprint wheels. With the wide wheels it does not dig in as much in soft ground like sand, mud or even light coatings of snow.

Anyways...more $0.02. Hope it helps in any designs you come up with. :D

I switched to this from Zuca backpack cart. Main benefit of this is no bending to select discs or putters. When you hit grandmasters that is more important than you think. Zuca was more maneuverable in tight spots, but also less stable in some situations.

I agree with a prior comment that designing and selling your own cart may not be cost effective compared to alternatives already available. It really comes down to personal preference.

Here's mine. Instructions on my IG account (@disc.golf.jay) down a ways on an earlier post.
45339996_149159366045317_1597053336103909095_n.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts