• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cycling Backups

How do you cycle your discs?

• Disc stays in my bag until flippy or lost

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I cycle, but rotate backups in and out

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I am a unique butterfly and neither of the above options will suffice

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
When I was young and played all the time I had multiples in multiple stages of wear, but it wasn't due to a rotation thing. It varied from disc to disc, but most discs would beat out the LSS first, so the discs faded less and straightened out. Usually I would beat the LSS out of 2-3 more discs before the original one would lose enough HSS to be considered a turnover disc, so there was always a backlog of seasoned discs ready to go. Eventually you would beat enough discs into turnover discs that you would have a stack of those going as well. You just naturally ended up with extras that way, you really didn't have to rotate discs in and out specifically with the intent of creating backups.

That is a really good point. A disc can go from "fresh" to "beat in" pretty quickly for me (I do throw primarily Trilogy, after all) but then it's about 2 years to get it from "beat in" to "turnover disc" or "thrashed." having played less than four years, I only have a couple of discs that have gotten past what I'd consider a normal beat in stage.

That is a really good point. A disc can go from "fresh" to "beat in" pretty quickly for me (I do throw primarily Trilogy, after all) but then it's about 2 years to get it from "beat in" to "turnover disc" or "thrashed." having played less than four years, I only have a couple of discs that have gotten past what I'd consider a normal beat in stage.
Yeah, having discs that started OS beat all the way to a turnover slot is an end-stage sorta thing. It doesn't happen overnight and honestly at my age and the way I play now it wouldn't happen. It takes a lot of throws to beat the HHS out of a golf disc. The thing that I thought of when you originally posted was "That's crazy, if you kept rotating the discs around you would never throw any one disc enough to actually beat it into a turnover disc."

I've had the core of my bag dialed in for several years so I've tried to cycle discs in over time to minimize the molds in my bag. I generally keep 2-3 variations of the same mold in different states of wear in the tournament bag. As much as it pains me to do it when I get a disc seasoned to a sweet spot I'll add it to the shelf as a backup. Of course if I'm playing competitively I'll build a bag that gives me the best chance to win. Casual rounds and league nights are typically dedicated to breaking in newer versions of my favorite molds to keep my backup shelf stoked as best I can.

Latest posts