• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

If Dave D Still made Pro Shark Even in Newer Pro or stiffer R-Pro I would Cycle the plastic as modern DX beats in now with a single tree hit in most runs, have to look for discs that are okay as they do not run super waxy but are good in stiffness. Innova doesn't make the Pro Shark or even an R-Pro so I use the Star mold, hoping that 60% of the Discs I order are good and not ones that Should be F2 or melted back down into swirl Star touring plastic at worst. I have gotten one disc that should have been F2 Due to flashing originally and one that is Almost G-Star just missing the tacky feel that G-Star has, with That Almost G-Star Shark having a dent in the wing lucky it does not affect flight much that should have been melted back down for the Swirl Star touring plastic.

I do wish there was a pro shark. I like the millennium Aurora MS, and have liked the idea or carrying the shark as a slightly more OS counterpart, but alas, in a round the dx shark seasons into a MS.

Ish. Not so much. Even when the stability overlaps, Scales lack glide and dump out. Wizards glide and push forward.

Totally agree. I've bagged a scale/wizard/chief lineup before, so essentially the three wizard bottoms. Scale for in the circle putts, wizards for longer runs, and a chief for approach. Never felt like there was overlap.

Totally agree. I've bagged a scale/wizard/chief lineup before, so essentially the three wizard bottoms. Scale for in the circle putts, wizards for longer runs, and a chief for approach. Never felt like there was overlap.
I notice a dump truck load of overlap between Scales and Wizards. I never carried a disc like the Scale before; all of the shots I'm taking with the Scale now I used to take with the Wizard. The Scale is just easier to pinpoint and holds a line better into the wind. I say "better" because the Wizard wasn't bad into the wind. It wasn't bad at any of the shots I now take with the Scale. The Scale just makes those shots easier for me, and I need all the help I can get. If I HAD to carry one, it would be the Wizard since I can execute any Scale shot with the Wizard, but I can't get a drive off the tee with the Scale to match the Wizard. I can carry both, though. So why not?

Which I guess is the overlap of the theory of cycling and the theory of mold minimalism. If I'm cycling AND mold minimizing, I don't carry a Scale. I don't need it, I have the (insert whatever putter you choose). In mold minimalism, you pick that putter based on doing everything with it, and cycling helps you have that mold in various stages of stability to be able to do that.

I'm over mold minimalism, though. It was really helpful when I was younger and learning how to throw, but now I'm just playing for fun so if I have Warlocks for putting and Wizards for driving and Scales for approaches/windy days and XD's for touch turnovers, I can do that. Now I've got four "putters" and I can cycle all of them if I want to. Cycling will just expand the range of shots I can take with any of those discs.

Of course if I cycle four putters, I'm going to have overlap with that. My super-beat Warlock is going to creep into XD territory. A beat in Scale might replace some Wizard throws. Cycling creates those overlaps. If you are not also doing mold minimalism, cycling will create a bag full of overlaps.

It's not that big of a deal, though. You just define roles for the discs, so you just don't drive with a seasoned Scale even though you can. You carry the Wizard for that, and the Wizard is a better disc for that shot.

Last edited:
Is cycling Aurora MS a thing? Cause I'm thinking about it.

I'd imagine (like I do with Buzzzes) you'd either have to toss something in like a Wasp/Buzzz OS on the top end for OS shots or try and luck out with an OS freak. I know some of the recent run QMS have been more OS, especially some of the sparkle Qs.

I'd imagine (like I do with Buzzzes) you'd either have to toss something in like a Wasp/Buzzz OS on the top end for OS shots or try and luck out with an OS freak. I know some of the recent run QMS have been more OS, especially some of the sparkle Qs.

I just pretty much rely on a Kaxe (aka Roc/Teebird) for shots like that, and I have the Berg for shorter stuff. I've got a couple gummy lunar QMS right now and just got a pair of no run Auroras on FB lastmids night, so I'm going to see how this goes for awhile. I really only feel like I need one true mid mold (with the putters I like to carry) and I have too many different swimming around in bins right now that I didn't click with. I always was more of a Shark guy but the QMS feels like it might be in the sweet spot for me.

Does anyone cycle truth's? I just got a classic one, and was curious to see if anyone throws classic Emac truths? The board flat top is interesting feeling. I know a lot of people use biofusion to beat in.

Does anyone cycle truth's? I just got a classic one, and was curious to see if anyone throws classic Emac truths? The board flat top is interesting feeling. I know a lot of people use biofusion to beat in.
I mean you can, it's just not as full a cycle as you get with something that has more fade out of the box.

My example is Rocs and Comets. I can cycle both, no issue there. Rocs start out more overstable with more fade, so as you beat the HSS out of one it gets closer to the flight the Comet has out of the box (without the magical levels of glide.) There is nothing you can do to a Comet to give it the flight the Roc has out of the box. You can't beat a disc into being more overstable, that's just not how it works. So a full Roc cycle is going to cover a wider spectrum of shots than a full Comet cycle. That's just how it is.

Back to mold minimalism, that's why the Roc is the cycling Gold-standard and the mold minimalists dream disc. You can cycle Rocs and just carry Rocs. With Comets you either struggle trying to hyzer Comets into the wind OR you carry another mold for that shot. If you are just cycling and not following mold minimalism, that's no big deal. Just like it would be no big deal to cycle Emac Truths and throw in something beefy to go along with it.

I mean you can, it's just not as full a cycle as you get with something that has more fade out of the box.

My example is Rocs and Comets. I can cycle both, no issue there. Rocs start out more overstable with more fade, so as you beat the HSS out of one it gets closer to the flight the Comet has out of the box (without the magical levels of glide.) There is nothing you can do to a Comet to give it the flight the Roc has out of the box. You can't beat a disc into being more overstable, that's just not how it works. So a full Roc cycle is going to cover a wider spectrum of shots than a full Comet cycle. That's just how it is.

Back to mold minimalism, that's why the Roc is the cycling Gold-standard and the mold minimalists dream disc. You can cycle Rocs and just carry Rocs. With Comets you either struggle trying to hyzer Comets into the wind OR you carry another mold for that shot. If you are just cycling and not following mold minimalism, that's no big deal. Just like it would be no big deal to cycle Emac Truths and throw in something beefy to go along with it.

I'd say that Rocs beat in "well" also. Some discs just don't wear well. When I was going through a Trilogy phase I threw a Classic Truth and Lucid Truth and the classic beat in quickly and lost lots of HSS, so it had "angry, quick turn." Rocs beat in and get this buttery slow turn.

I'd say that Rocs beat in "well" also. Some discs just don't wear well. When I was going through a Trilogy phase I threw a Classic Truth and Lucid Truth and the classic beat in quickly and lost lots of HSS, so it had "angry, quick turn." Rocs beat in and get this buttery slow turn.
True. Some discs beat in squirrelly. Flat top Rocs I thought were like that; they had this abrupt, kinda unpredictable turn that was unlike the smooth turnover a regular Roc gave me. So it is valid that some discs just do not cycle as well as others. I mean, unless you like abrupt, unpredictable turn. :|

True. Some discs beat in squirrelly. Flat top Rocs I thought were like that; they had this abrupt, kinda unpredictable turn that was unlike the smooth turnover a regular Roc gave me. So it is valid that some discs just do not cycle as well as others. I mean, unless you like abrupt, unpredictable turn. :|

I have this really nice Flat Top KC Pro Team Stamped Roc I've wanted to bust out and start throwing along some good mild dome Dx Rocs. I just need a truly flippy Roc and I could start a new cycle lol. This thread makes me want to throw Rocs again.

This thread makes me want to throw Rocs again.

I played for years before I learned the magic of the Roc.

It didn't take long after to learn the magic of cycling them. I only keep the full cycle going during the warmer months because of the age (20-30 years old)of most of
my Rocs. Yes, there a couple of newer ones on the more over-stable side, and the Gila for the most over-stable (even Champion Rocs can't match the Gila) duties.

One thing when you have a kid and essentially take a two year break from playing, you forget how everything flies. I have a pair of flat top Rocs and an X out from I think the first run of Champ Roc 3s that I don't ever remember throwing or what the flight is like, lol. But, as I understand it, regular DX/KC is the way to go, right?

I think regular old off the shelf DX an KC Rocs are the best to cycle.
No Roc3, flat top yada-yada special blend this or that.

Plain old Rocs!

Get a DX and play a few Roc rounds to start the beat in and then add a fresh one.

A beat DX Roc is a magical thing:D

I think regular old off the shelf DX an KC Rocs are the best to cycle.
No Roc3, flat top yada-yada special blend this or that.

As I think about it, I've thrown a number of "other" versions of the Roc (Flat top, Roc3, VRoc, etc) but I can't remember if I've ever thrown a regular old Dx. IDK how I've played in three decades and that happened, lol.

I'm curious why you're grouping eMac truths in with Comets. I feel like the lucid eMac Truth i throw is pretty similar to my champ roc3 in stability. Especially in moonshine or lucid-x plastic. The classic, I have heard starts as stable as a lucid x/verdict, and for the once or twice I've thrown it that seems right.

I don't know how they beat in because I haven't beat one in yet, so I don't know about it building the "angry turn" that you talked about. That's mostly why I'm asking the question. That said I also throw a verdict and Justice just because honestly I like those discs that I have (my flat top Verdict is $$$$$$$), but I feel as though I could get a full cycle similar to rocs with classic truths. But I also feel like truths in general have much more mold discrepancy and more fluke under-stable discs that come out.

I'm curious why you're grouping eMac truths in with Comets. I feel like the lucid eMac Truth i throw is pretty similar to my champ roc3 in stability. Especially in moonshine or lucid-x plastic. The classic, I have heard starts as stable as a lucid x/verdict, and for the once or twice I've thrown it that seems right.

I don't know how they beat in because I haven't beat one in yet, so I don't know about it building the "angry turn" that you talked about. That's mostly why I'm asking the question. That said I also throw a verdict and Justice just because honestly I like those discs that I have (my flat top Verdict is $$$$$$$), but I feel as though I could get a full cycle similar to rocs with classic truths. But I also feel like truths in general have much more mold discrepancy and more fluke under-stable discs that come out.
I'm not grouping the whatshisname Truth in with the Comet, it was just an example of cycling an overstable disc vs. cycling a stable disc. If the whosits Truth has all the overstability you need in a mid, then there you go.

Latest posts