• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Cycling wizards

I really like this thread. Going to start working on a cycle. Anyone else doing this still?

I putt with two really firm Chalky SS Wizards.

Been approaching and driving with two softer SS Wizards. Problem is one of them is really warped and the other one has like this weird puffiness on the inside rim. Anyone else had this problem with any of their wizards?

Picked up a firm chalky Soft today that feels like my putters and a RFF. Going to be testing them out for drives and approaches. I'm up to six Wizards total now (I'm probably way behind most people still)

Last edited:
I really like this thread. Going to start working on a cycle. Anyone else doing this still?

I putt with two really firm Chalky SS Wizards.

Been approaching and driving with two softer SS Wizards. Problem is one of them is really warped and the other one has like this weird puffiness on the inside rim. Anyone else had this problem with any of their wizards?

Picked up a firm chalky Soft today that feels like my putters and a RFF. Going to be testing them out for drives and approaches. I'm up to six Wizards total now (I'm probably way behind most people still)

If you like driving Wizards, pick up a Scale by RDG. They're the perfect companion for the Wiz as they feel nearly identical in the hand and will fight winds and fade much more reliably than even a fresh Wiz

The puffy one is a special run, they over fill the mold to make them. I've seen them but never thrown one, I do know a guy that swears by them.

Warping will happen with a baseline plastic disc that likes to be thrown hard. Sometimes I fix the warping, which is fairly eaily, but sometimes the warping changes the fight in a good way and I keep it just the way it is :) I've got a FUBAR looking PWP wiz in the bag right now that is an awesome thrower.

I'm glad to see someone bring this thread back. It made me look at where I was last year and provides and opportunity to see what works for other players. My current Wizard stash is getting out of control so PM me if you want to buy or trade! At the moment, I have three Wizards bagged:

1) Super Soft: My favorite all-time plastic blend from Gateway. This is the disc I drive with and straddle putt with. I'll typically use it for jump putts out to 75' as well. It's the utility Wizard for sure!

2) $$$ Wizard: These are hard for me to find but seem to get better with age. I use these almost exclusively for approach shots. For some reason, this seems to be the most neutral blend of Wizards I've found. They are still somewhat stable which means I can throw them laser-straight for 150' or more.

3) RFF Wizard: I live in the Mountain State and sometimes our greens reflect that nickname. I throw these only when faced with a sloping green or some sort of precarious pin placement. I'm not crazy about the grip, but having the Wizard sit down upon impact is nice so it stays in the bag.

I used to cycle wizards, but then for some reason all of mine seemed to settle into a nice sweet spot. They haven't significantly changed stability in a LONG time. So I've been bagging the same 4 wizards (2 for putting, 2 for throwing) for years.

I used to cycle wizards, but then for some reason all of mine seemed to settle into a nice sweet spot. They haven't significantly changed stability in a LONG time. So I've been bagging the same 4 wizards (2 for putting, 2 for throwing) for years.

That's been my experience too. Has anybody worn a wizard down to the point where they'd call it understable?

That's been my experience too. Has anybody worn a wizard down to the point where they'd call it understable?

I have a few. Both of my main putters (old Mediums) are understable on full throws. And I have two old Soft wizards that were my main putters like 10 years ago, and are now understable. I carry one in my bag as my main understable thrower, it's one of my absolute go-to discs in the woods. But it's been the same stability for years.

These are all old small-stamp wizards, without the current tooling on the bottom of the flight plate. It takes that long sometimes.

I've been doing a lot of field work with just Wizards over the past month so I've been throwing a lot of my Wizards that were just sitting in boxes previously. I finally found some Wizards that actually flip up and turn over for me. They're all very flat and beat in, usually with some bead damage. All my "high shoulder" Wizards are stable. I putt with flat ones and prefer the ones with the high shoulder for tee shots. This explains why my putting Wizards always seemed to fly less stable than my driving Wizards despite being in better shape physically.

Funny I started this thread years ago and switched from aviars to wizards. Used them for a while, mostly medium for drives and ss for putts. Now im back to aviars that I originally switched from :) using 10x for turnover, broken in 11x for straight and 2 freshies for drives/approaches. This new blend of kc is swirly and softer than I remember. It seems to have dx mixed in or something but I approve

Disc golf: so many options!

I have a beat soft for drives and approaches and two stiff organics for putting.

For sure. I've found RDG's fossil and fossil fuel wizards to break into turnovers in a reasonable time frame. I just beat a PWP into a turnover machine very quickly, but I'm pretty sure that has something to do with one epic taco tree smash.

Latest posts