• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

D.I.S.C. rules

flowinowen

*I hope this is in the proper forum thread*

I play a lot of DISC with my friends prior to tags. For those that don't know, its HORSE with two discs.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to giving out letters though. For example: Lets say there's three players playing. First player goes and hits one putt. Second hits one as well, but third hits both. Do both first and second players get a letter? Also - are there any other situations where misses/hits give out letterings like this?

Trying to start this up before/after tags matches - thanks!

I am brand new to disc golf but I used to play a lot of H.O.R.S.E as a kid in the public neighborhood basketball courts in city parks at at the public schools during the summer, at the local YMCA during the winter and during recess at school.

The rules of H.O.R.S.E were and are still pretty simple and could easily be adapted and modified for disc golf:
1. Determine an order of play.
2. The first player akes his shot from anywhere on the court. The first player can also call out specific rules pertaining to his shot but must do so before he or she takes the shot.
3. If the first player makes his or her shot the subsequent players must attempt the same shot using the same rules if any.
4. If the first player misses their first shot the next player can attempt their shot from anywhere on the court, including out of bounds andcan place specific rules on their shot but must do so before taking the shot.
5. The game continues like this until the first player reaches H.O.R.S.E.
6. The subsequent players may continue if there are more than three players to see who is comes in second, third and last place, etc.

In the game of D.I.S.C. the object of this game could easily be changed depending on how creative you want to get with the game and how much time you have to play and number of players. For example you could play a full 9 hole course without using PDGA rules round where the player who has reached D.I.S.C. the greatest number of times is the overall winner.

Here are the rules that could be copied and adapted that probably would not need to change for a game of D.I.SC.
1. Determine an order of play and stick with it.
2. The first player must determine and call out a general area they expect their disc to land on their first throw.
2. When the first player takes his or her first throw he or she can call out specific rules but must do so before throwing. For example: They are using a specific type of disc, putter, mid range, driver, etc.
3. If the first player makes his or her throw the subsequent players must attempt the same throw and attemt to land in the same general area using the same rules if any.
4. If the first player misses landing where he or she called out the second player may then determine where their disc is going to land.
5. All subsequent players must follow suit.
6. Play shall continue like this until D.I.S.C. is reached by at least the first player.

Here is where it can get interesting on a disc golf course:
The method of play, meaning where the throws are cast from can vary, especially if players are not following PDGA rules. For example sicne the word D.I.S.C. is four letters and if players play a 9 or even an 18 hole course the group can decide to make each hole a par 4 and the once the first player reaches D.I.S.C. for that hole, provided they make it into the basket the group moves on to the next tee. The player with the greatest number of D.I.S.C. scores is the over all winner.

Another example is the group can decide th start the first throw from any where on the course. Meaning from any teel or even at a basket or half way down a fairway and change it up as you go. With the first player reaching D.I.S.C. is the declared winner.

When I played H.O.R.S.E. as a younger lad we used either "shool yard" or "playground" rules. Depending on the other kids we played the game with determined which school yard or playground rules we followed, especially when we played against other kids at the YMCA.

I would say do not be afraid to change it up and be creative with it.

If you check out the YouTube channel "Ball Golf TV", it's a DG channel I promise, they play the putting game "BOGEY" with each guest which is essentially HORSE but with two putters. There is a couple interesting rules they put into it, if you watch a few of the episodes you'll get the gist of it. I like how you expanded it out to any sort of DG shot though. That would be a great way to make field practice with a homie more enjoyable.