• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Damn TL

I had a white TL that was the exact same way. I even got it in a trade and was still more stable than my TeeBird that has probably seen less wear. I sent it into the pond on UNC's DG course over compensating for the stability, went too far right and hit some trees, caroming into the pond. Hasta Luego POS. I bought a hot pink TL today in a lighter weight, hopefully it'll be straight out of the box.

I'm surprised so many people find it incredibly stable. Mine is pretty flippy with average wear. I use it as a hzyer flip distance driver and still have to release it with some hyzer when i back off of it for finesse shots. It holds its own with my max distance drivers though due to the fact that it is so controllable.

After I had mine for literally a month it became my primary turnover disc till I lost it :(.

Honestly if your looking for a pure straight fairway driver the best disc to me is the Leopard (thank you Patrick for the tip). It may be a "beginner disc" but I have never thrown a straighter flying fairway driver and I've thrown quite a few (TeeBird, TL, XL, Striker, XS, Cheetah, Viper, Gazelle, Eagle) you name it. Its not as long as some of the ones listed above but it is straighter.

Straight on a line - Leopard.

to a point every other way - Teebird or TL

just my .02, I carry and throw both regularly

My TeeBird is way straighter than the TL. Weird right?

I bought my TL looking for a really straight disc. I bought a Star Valk at the same time (both max weight) and they flew pretty similarly initially, a little overstable with big fade and skip at the end. As they wore in, the Valk got really flippy to the point where I couldn't rely on it. The TL, however, just got straighter and straighter. It's resistance to high speed turn is remarkable as long as you don't treat it like a super high-speed distance driver. You've got to really work to turn a TL into the ground.

It is one of the few discs that I think will always be in my bag. Ranks up there with Rocs and Aviars to me.

I find the leopard to be a slower valkyrie. Not a bad thing, but not what I'm looking for right now.

"Honestly if your looking for a pure straight fairway driver the best disc to me is the Leopard. It may be a "beginner disc" but I have never thrown a straighter flying fairway driver" -end quote

Well Barry Shultz carries a few in his bag so I wouldn't say it's for beginners.

I love the light TL's (150 gm) for shots through the woods. I sure seems straight for me. I am just beginning to get some snap on my throws, so if it was overstable it should appear that way to me.

Leopard, Eclipse and Aero are my mainstay for straight driving. Even the Stratus to some extent. My new pro Leopard still seems a bit overstable and fadey for tight wooded fairways but my old DX disc seemed decent. I think the Eclipse beats them both. The Aero is great as long as you aren't going for real long drives, it maxes out for mortals around 300'.

My TL threw perfectly straight out of the box and I loved it, but as it got wore in it became really understable and it would only fade back about the last 20 feet of the drive. Then I threw it into a creek.

My was a turning over bastard off the shelf, but once i got it beat in, by letting my girlfriend throw it for 3 months, and i slowed down the speed on it a little, it has become my #1 go to money maker disc. The thing i discovered is if you try to throw it like a boss, its gonna turn over, slow your arm down a little and give it a solid snap and it should fly straight as an arrow with only a slight fade at the end. It used to be my favorite hyzer disc until i got my eagle beat it.

My friend had one and he never really threw it that well except for one game he played with it alot and it just worked for him that day. I bought one a week ago and just threw it in my back yard. I thought it would be like a Gazelle but it was short and faded really hard, not like a fairway driver should. But as for it breaking in a straightening out I have no idea.

I have a red star TL @ 172. I've had for quite some time and I've nailed a ton of trees with it so I can only guess it's beat in.
I use mine for turnovers and very gentle 's' curves. I've also recently starting using it for hyzer flips. I like it for short and accurate overhand approaches too. I eat out of my TL. It makes a very pretty hat. When winter comes I'm renting it so a family of voles for sledding.

"Honestly if your looking for a pure straight fairway driver the best disc to me is the Leopard. It may be a "beginner disc" but I have never thrown a straighter flying fairway driver" -end quote

Well Barry Shultz carries a few in his bag so I wouldn't say it's for beginners.

I dont care if Ken Climo and Dave Feldburg throw it on every drive, if it comes in the beginner pack its a beginners disc. But thanks for pointing out my stupidity I bet that makes you feel super intelligent.

How far do you throw it now?
When they rate these discs, they rate the DX plastic. Star plastic will tend to be more stable and will take a LOOONG time to break in to that level.
Also, the ratings are based on the speed. If you are unable to throw the disc with enough speed, those ratings will not apply correctly.

Last edited: