• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Damn TL

My X XL was lost a few weeks ago and since i don't feel like buying a replacement straight driver - i have a star TL - since i had the exact same sentiments as Midnight regarding the TL's fade - i've started a Beat the EFF out of the TL campaign to get rid of the fade - i will try it out tonight after work on the most wooded course around.

i've also got a DX T bird i may do the same to.

I love all seasonings of TLs.
I carry a beat star that fades right, new star that fades left, and 2 champs in the bag.
A DX Teebird is probably the best disc to use to get a flippy disc quick.
Once you hit 3-4 trees relatively hard with it you will be throwing nice bomber s curves or anny shots that don't come back.

I have been throwing DX Teebirds for a couple years now, and after about 5-6 months of use get too flippy for the shots I'm using it for (straight to slight turnover in the 350-390ft range). I have several Star TL's and CFR TL's that I've never thrown. I think I'm going to drop the DX Teebirds and go with the Star or CFR TL's so I wont have to keep cycling in new DX Tee Birds. Any thoughts, does anyone think this is a good idea?

I have been throwing DX Teebirds for a couple years now, and after about 5-6 months of use get too flippy for the shots I'm using it for (straight to slight turnover in the 350-390ft range). I have several Star TL's and CFR TL's that I've never thrown. I think I'm going to drop the DX Teebirds and go with the Star or CFR TL's so I wont have to keep cycling in new DX Tee Birds. Any thoughts, does anyone think this is a good idea?

Why not get Champion TeeBirds? The TL, from what I understand is like a beat in TeeBird. Sounds like you're stepping into a disc that is where you don't want it to be.

I dont care if Ken Climo and Dave Feldburg throw it on every drive, if it comes in the beginner pack its a beginners disc. But thanks for pointing out my stupidity I bet that makes you feel super intelligent.

Relax, man. I never thought that "beginner" was a negative term. I consider a TeeBird a beginner disc too (and Climo's name is stamped on all of them). After 4 years, I still haven't found a better fairway driver. I would ditch the rest of my bag before it (would be a close call with my Buzzz). If it works, throw it.

I think that the term "straight" is quite ill defined here. Do I think that the TL is the straightest fairway driver on the market? Absolutely....In my opinion, Innova's rating of a 0,1 is completely accurate. This is the only fairway driver that when released flat, will remain on that line for the majority of the flight path. If you release a Leopard flat with speed, it's gonna flip over every time. A disc is not "straight" if you hyzer flip it, you're forcing it to be straight.

I think that the term "straight" is quite ill defined here. Do I think that the TL is the straightest fairway driver on the market? Absolutely....In my opinion, Innova's rating of a 0,1 is completely accurate. This is the only fairway driver that when released flat, will remain on that line for the majority of the flight path. If you release a Leopard flat with speed, it's gonna flip over every time. A disc is not "straight" if you hyzer flip it, you're forcing it to be straight.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

using that logic i can say a TL isn't straight because it completely flips over into oblivion when i throw FH at the speed i typically release a Flick which "will remain on that line for the majority of the flight path"

you have to rate discs based on the speed they were designed to be thrown at.

using that logic i can say a TL isn't straight because it completely flips over into oblivion when i throw FH at the speed i typically release a Flick which "will remain on that line for the majority of the flight path"

you have to rate discs based on the speed they were designed to be thrown at.

The ratings do not apply at all to FH. Any player with a strong flick FH has to use a highly overstable driver to prevent the disc from flipping over.

Let me qualify my "laser straight" post on page 1. My Star TL is extremely straight from 300-350 ft., but I get the best results with a smooth motion that lets the disc do the work. If I put heavy snap on it, it will turn over every time. I used to think I threw with more speed than snap, but the more I read other people's disc experiences, the more I think maybe I throw with more snap than speed. I seem to be turning discs over easier than others but I struggle to compete for max-D with any disc. And no, it's not OAT. I deliver a nice flat, smooth takeoff with no flutter, unless I try to drive with a Buzzz. :p

Why not get Champion TeeBirds? The TL, from what I understand is like a beat in TeeBird. Sounds like you're stepping into a disc that is where you don't want it to be.

I have been carrying 3 different Teebirds. (175gr glow CFR headwind, and something I can keep fairly straight with a nice reliable hyzer at the end) , (166gr 11X Champion in the bag for 3 years nice and straight), and 175gr DX Teebird I have a stack 1 goes in the bag for about 4-6 months and then is so thrashed it turns over hard when thrown on a 30deg angle it will travel about 250-275ft before completely coming out of the hyzer then flip flat and then flip all the way over and not come back. My champion Teebirds do not turnover all that well but the DX just get too flippy too fast. I was wondering if the TL would keep a slight turn that I'm wanting, and not turnover too hard, or should I just keep rotating the DX Teebirds.

Last night I was looking through my boxes and found a 175gr Glo CFR TL unthrown, and a 175 clear opto vision Striker unthrown.

Which one do you guys suggest for the uphill drives in the 350ft range, or the absolutely straight to right turn for a RHBH thrower in the 350-380ft range?

(These are what I had been cycling the DX Teebirds for).

EDIT: I beleive my form is ok. I play in leagues 3-5 days a week and nobody has said anything. I can drive with beadless Aviars (280-325ft), and Comets (280-350ft) no problem.

Last edited:
Relax, man. I never thought that "beginner" was a negative term. I consider a TeeBird a beginner disc too (and Climo's name is stamped on all of them). After 4 years, I still haven't found a better fairway driver. I would ditch the rest of my bag before it (would be a close call with my Buzzz). If it works, throw it.

No I'm cool with all my beginner discs bro (Teebird, Leopard, Shark) and Im completely chilled. I just have a problem with people pointing out things that don't need to be pointed out. I love my Leopards and would challenge anyone to find a straighter flying fairway driver. I also think if you had read what I was responding to you might have got a better idea of what I referring to. I never used beginner in a negative connotation. I just stated that a Leopard is one.

I have been carrying 3 different Teebirds. (175gr glow CFR headwind, and something I can keep fairly straight with a nice reliable hyzer at the end) , (166gr 11X Champion in the bag for 3 years nice and straight), and 175gr DX Teebird I have a stack 1 goes in the bag for about 4-6 months and then is so thrashed it turns over hard when thrown on a 30deg angle it will travel about 250-275ft before completely coming out of the hyzer then flip flat and then flip all the way over and not come back. My champion Teebirds do not turnover all that well but the DX just get too flippy too fast. I was wondering if the TL would keep a slight turn that I'm wanting, and not turnover too hard, or should I just keep rotating the DX Teebirds.

Last night I was looking through my boxes and found a 175gr Glo CFR TL unthrown, and a 175 clear opto vision Striker unthrown.

Which one do you guys suggest for the uphill drives in the 350ft range, or the absolutely straight to right turn for a RHBH thrower in the 350-380ft range?

(These are what I had been cycling the DX Teebirds for).

EDIT: I beleive my form is ok. I play in leagues 3-5 days a week and nobody has said anything. I can drive with beadless Aviars (280-325ft), and Comets (280-350ft) no problem.
I would def work on seasoning a TL. You will not have the drastic flip a beat in DX has as it plummets right and finds the ground
The Glow TL will be one of the most stable TLs out there. I would start with star plastic

The ratings do not apply at all to FH. Any player with a strong flick FH has to use a highly overstable driver to prevent the disc from flipping over.

didnt get my point

FH or BH is irrelevant - ratings are created by seeing how a disc behaves when thrown at certain speeds

Latest posts