• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave Feldberg's Left Arm

Anselm

Has anybody else noticed how Dave Feldberg swings his left arm back during the reachback on his drives, so that it is parallel to his throwing arm? He then drives his left arm through the swing for the cleanest follow-through I have ever seen. From what I've seen, most players - including top pros like Avery Jenkins - just let their left arm jiggle around by their side as they pull through the drive.

What do you all do with your left arm? Do you think about it all? Do you think it's worth working on?

My jiggling is much better now that I'm wearing briefs.

A serious answer:

Feldy uses a modified Swedish throwing style. The Swedish style uses the left side (rhbh) of the body as a counterweight to the throwing side. The left arm is swing around to generate torque and arm speed by loading up the core. The right arm is generally left in a deep reach back until being violently swung through as a result of the torque built up in the core.

^Thank you! Very interesting. Do you know of any instructional videos explaining this technique?

Ha, I was telling someone about the Euro style just the other day.

My left arm stays straight down by my side until I rip the disc across my chest. When I do that I swing it around in frron of my midsection.

well i throw with my left arm...way to racist against us lefties. But as far as my right arm goes i usually let it hang by my side, it doesn't move much if at all during my throw, but at times could probably knock someone out in my follow through :p

My left arm follows the disc through the swing.

I was taught by Mules to practice clean follow through.

Last edited:
Start by trying to throw with your left arm in your pocket........Your right shoulder will turn much faster. When you get used to that take your left arm out of your pocket.

yep mncyclone speaks true. i believe feldy has a degree in kinesiology, or body mechanics. basically trying to get the most out of his body's torque during a drive. think about it, you're swinging extra weight/velocity through your hit.

It's like a ice skater when they do their twisting thingy. Bringing in the arm will give you extra momentum. It's not just feldi that does that, most of the pros have a nice swing with their left arm.

I am working on using my left arm more conciously, but when I do, I always throw into the ground. More practice field time needed.