• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave242, OUT OF HIS MIND!

I have no issue with Dave's ratings of these two courses, he's made it very clear that design and challenge (along with wooded, natural beauty) are the things that are important to him. Just in terms of design, challenge, and variety, Leviathan is a better course. If you include atmosphere and maintenance as many (including me) do, Flip can get a higher rating, but if those things aren't important to you it's not that hard to see giving Leviathan a higher rating. He goes out of his way to justify why he rated those courses the way he did, the whining about Flip getting a 'low' rating is a bit petty imo.

Being a righty myself, his overwhelming left-handed bias just confuses me.

And this comment I just don't get. Dave never puts in a lefty bias in his reviews, in fact he makes it very clear that he likes a variety of holes that will test different skills and shots.

Last edited:
I have no issue with Dave's ratings of these two courses, he's made it very clear that design and challenge (along with wooded, natural beauty) are the things that are important to him. Just in terms of design, challenge, and variety, Leviathan is a better course. If you include atmosphere and maintenance as many (including me) do, Flip can get a higher rating, but if those things aren't important to you it's not that hard to see giving Leviathan a higher rating. He goes out of his way to justify why he rated those courses the way he did, the whining about Flip getting a 'low' rating is a bit petty imo.

And this comment I just don't get. Dave never puts in a lefty bias in his reviews, in fact he makes it very clear that he likes a variety of holes that will test different skills and shots.

:thmbup:
exactly what i wanted to say

I am going to Turner, Fritz and W.O Harrington in Texas tomorrow.

I feel cheap saying this, trying to get my course total up, almost to 50. Plus Fritz doesn't suck, does it? I guess I will find out. I plan on playing Lake Lewisville, The vet, Alex and Towne, Z boaz, North Park, Lester Beaver and any other upper rated 18 holers around DFW. Then make my way to East Metro, Cameron East and other highly rated courses that do not require driving all the way across Texas to play. I have already played Lester Coyote, H Meyers and Lindsey Gold. Those are the only highly rated Texas courses that I have played, although I loved the back 9 at U.T. Tyler. Tight and wooded.

there is absolutely no reason in the world for an out-of-towner to go to W.O. Harrington. go to practically any other course in DFW for a better time. go to saddle hills in FW for an awesome 9 hole. better than fritz too.

..with Dave's recent reviews of Flip, and Leviathan:

Leviathan:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1476&mode=rev#23320

Flip City:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=468&mode=rev#23321

I am finally able to solidly state that he is out of his friggin' mind when it comes to ratings and probably not helping out the "other" 80% of disc golfers coming to this site for solid advice and course ratings.

Both these courses are my "home" courses, with Leviathan TRULY being my home course as I grew up across the street before it was a disc golf course. Flip a four and Leviathan a five? Please....

let's discuss shall we? :)
(we knew this was coming)

Is this what you were looking for?

Becker_Violin.jpg

Flip is a better maintained course with a better flow and better "nuances"...Leviathin is more challenging.

Four is not a low rating.

Okay, I tried to defend Dave a little, but I see he gave Rogers Lakewood in Valpo a 5 and Flip a 4...he is out of his mind! He gave Idlewild a 3 1/2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited:
The fact it plays as all Par 3s makes it almost impossible to reach #1 if you ask me!

This is correct. It is nearly impossible for a course to rate a 5 without any multi-shot holes. It would need a bunch of the best-designed 1-shot holes in the world, and then be perfect in every other way.

And even ignoring that, there's nothing crazy about Dave's reviews.

Folks used to complain that his reviews had no detail, just letter grades using his own personal system. Now he reviews Flip City with a lot of details few people have mentioned, and explanations of his rating. Not the brief, worshipful review a lot of Flip fans provide. Folks don't like that, either.

Or is it really just the "4.0"?

A course needs multi-throw holes to attain a 5 in my book (I haven't given any yet). After all, that is the essence of golf. All par-3 is like playing lawn darts.

These threads should just be locked or compiled into one big thread. People have different views, get over it. Dave isn't trying to slam one course or another, and he's probably contributed more to the reviews than over 95% of the people on this site. He's always explained his position on his reviews, so quit complaining that he likes something different than you.

The fact it plays as all Par 3s makes it almost impossible to reach #1 if you ask me!

This ^

If a course plays as a 54 then its going to have a very hard time getting a 5 from me. If Flip does than I expect it would be working very hard to get better than a 4.5 from me when I get around to playing it. Step up to the challenge people! Is everybody so used to having things easy these days that they don't enjoy a good challenge to test their skills? In a "perfect" course I'd expect to see four or five par 4s and one or two par 5s.

Both these courses are my "home" courses, with Leviathan TRULY being my home course as I grew up across the street before it was a disc golf course. Flip a four and Leviathan a five? Please....

At least you're honest about the HBB.

Let's take a quick, objective look at it.

Dave's played 265 courses and has no dog in the fight (no HBB to Flip, Idlewild, etc.) vs someone who's been a FC cheerleader since day 1.

Who do you think will give a more accurate and honest review?

Dave!!! There goin for the THROAT!!! I personally appreciate Dave's input on this site. I think with the amount of courses he's played, he's very knowledgeable.. He explains himself and his ratings. This whole site is all about personal opinions. What it comes down too, is a lot of fruit cups on this site don't fair well with disagreement. So on that note disagree'ers..... Go back to your communist ways...

Leviathan:

Flip City:

I am finally able to solidly state that he is out of his friggin' mind when it comes to ratings and probably not helping out the "other" 80% of disc golfers coming to this site for solid advice and course ratings.

Tom,

I played Oshtemo with Dave on Saturday. Based on what I learned in 90 minutes of playing with him I'd bet he knows more about course design than the vast majority of folks on this site. He's left handed and has a very specific set of criteria he's looking for on a course that might not happen to mirror what other folks are looking for. You might choose to dislike his reviews based on his criteria and his review format, but I can assure you he isn't out of his mind.

Last edited:

Leviathan:

Flip City:

dawson-crying.jpg

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion. And, while Dave gives explanations for his ratings...the 4 for Flip is actually pretty accurate...but to give FC a 4, Valpo a 5 and Idlewild a 3.5 makes his opinions pretty invaluable to me.

Leviathan:

Flip City:

He is exactly inline with everyone elses rating. Whats the big deal. Never played the courses, but its not like he gave a 2.5star rated course a 5 he rated a 5* course a 5 and a 4* course a 4. Stop being so dramatic.

I don't mind Dave's review style...or his criteria. I played Flip City and Leviathon both within the last month. (haven't reviewed them yet, been pretty busy) I don't mind that he rated them the way that he did. My only problem is with some of his details for Flip. I would have given him a thumbs-up except for his comments about the "up-and-over holes" (5,10,17). The 3 holes do not require the same shot at all. Hole 5 plays with the pin to the left (RHBH hyzer). Hole 10 is straight and a midrange-S curve seems to be the play. Hole 17 has the pin right of the tee pad line (RHBH anhyzer). These are all very different flight paths especially when you account for the elevation changes. I found this information to be very misleading.

Latest posts