• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave242, OUT OF HIS MIND!

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
..with Dave's recent reviews of Flip, and Leviathan:

Leviathan:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1476&mode=rev#23320

Flip City:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=468&mode=rev#23321

I am finally able to solidly state that he is out of his friggin' mind when it comes to ratings and probably not helping out the "other" 80% of disc golfers coming to this site for solid advice and course ratings.

Both these courses are my "home" courses, with Leviathan TRULY being my home course as I grew up across the street before it was a disc golf course. Flip a four and Leviathan a five? Please....

let's discuss shall we? :)
(we knew this was coming)

I've heard other people mention that they thought Leviathan was better than Flip, after playing both in the same weekend. I think it totally depends on what rubric you use to review. As long as he provides solid reasoning for his rating, I don't see any problem with it.

He knew going into it that he was not going to give Flip a 5.
I don't think either reviews can be called bogus, but still the reviews are filled with his explanation of his rubric more than info on the course.
I don't think I would thumbdown either, but I can't thumb them up because I won't read through it all, I have it memorized: I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.

I don't think either reviews can be called bogus, but still the reviews are filled with his explanation of his rubric more than info on the course.
I don't think I would thumbdown either, but I can't thumb them up because I won't read through it all, I have it memorized: I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.

ha! yeah right.."blah blah blah, look at me, I'm different.";)

I totally get the Leviathan design accolades, it deserves it. To me it still stands as one of my favorite and most challenging courses. It single handedly did me in at last years state championships. Hell, I know and love the guys that built it. BUT it is missing so many of the nuances of Flip, the overall package when it comes to disc golf. So for an overall rating to be higher than Flips, two courses I know intimately on many levels....Dave is nuts...and that's ok.

Well at least he's not some Highbridge or Idlewild fanatic who's looking to bring Flip down...

If he would have rated just Flip it wouldn't have been a big deal!

I figured a 4 was coming from Dave out there and the only issue is him rating Leviathan a 5! With that said my MI buddies say Flip is a really "COOL" course but it isn't the one they mention when I ask for the best courses.

I haven't played either but I have heard Leviathan is a sweet course from a few guys and had never even heard of it.

I am glad to say that Flip City is only about an hour and twenty minutes from my hosue(without stops). I actually played it again on Saturday and although I did very poor, it's still one of the best places to play.

I've heard other people mention that they thought Leviathan was better than Flip, after playing both in the same weekend. I think it totally depends on what rubric you use to review. As long as he provides solid reasoning for his rating, I don't see any problem with it.

I am not surprised because Dave, it has always seemed to me, prefers heavily wooded courses. Flip being lightly wooded, really had to make up extra ground to be a 5. I don't throw as far as Dave, so Flip would not be easy at all to me. If it has decent elevation, it would prob overcome my Heavily wooded bias because I have played less courses than Dave and prob flatter terrain. So what you guys call moderate elevation might seem extreme to me and make a course have not far to go to reach that vaunted 5 disc status. Plus all of the art and that almost magical feeling that some of us get when playing a private course. Especially we golfers that have not played that many private courses. Got to hand it to Tom, he called this one.

As if a 4 is a bad rating. His review seems consistent with most reviews to me saying it's more easy than challenging and thus not very rewarding. I've heard this complaint multiple times before about flip. I'm still curious to play it but my expectations have been lowered. I like a difficult wooded challenge in my top rated courses

I am glad to say that Flip City is only about an hour and twenty minutes from my hosue(without stops). I actually played it again on Saturday and although I did very poor, it's still one of the best places to play.

I live 15 minutes from Flip City and have never made it out there:doh:. I'm not sure I wanna go that far for only a 4-disc rated course...

If I were to die right now I'm sure I would go to disc golf hell.

ROFL!!!!!! The only thing you didn't do was sneak in a little App beauty(Daves signature word). I might start rating App beauty on a scale of 1-10 in my reviews. I am going to Turner, Fritz and W.O Harrington in Texas tomorrow. I bet they won't have a lot App beauty, but you have to consider where you are playing as far as topography goes. It says the heat index will be 110, I hope Turner isn't very open.

Ive played Flip and Leviathan. I gave Flip a 5, not because its perfect but because its damn close to perfect in every way and by far the best course Ive ever played. You do feel like your in a magical place at Flip with all its glory around every winding corner. Leviathan I gave a 4 because its an awesome course but a bit rough feeling. Not as smooth and broken in as flip. Not all the teepads are good quality and has some minor issues with signage and rough not being trimmed up very well. Overall both are great courses but to say Leviathan is better than Flip is just wrong in everyway. To each his own I suppose. Possibly he has a grudge against Flip or the fact that Flip plays as a par 3 and Dave dosent like an all par 3 course?:popcorn::confused:

Dave seems like a nice guy and I enjoy some of his posts, but I don't put any stock in his reviews. Being a righty myself, his overwhelming left-handed bias just confuses me.
Case in point; he gave Yadkin County Park a 5 when the next highest rating is a 4 and the avg is a 3 1/2. Go figure.

ROFL!!!!!! The only thing you didn't do was sneak in a little App beauty(Daves signature word). I might start rating App beauty on a scale of 1-10 in my reviews. I am going to Turner, Fritz and W.O Harrington in Texas tomorrow. I bet they won't have a lot App beauty, but you have to consider where you are playing as far as topography goes. It says the heat index will be 110, I hope Turner isn't very open.

Why are you playing those courses? They aren't the best is DFW.......not even close although Turner was pretty cool.

To each his own I suppose. Possibly he has a grudge against Flip or the fact that Flip plays as a par 3 and Dave dosent like an all par 3 course?:popcorn::confused:

The fact it plays as all Par 3s makes it almost impossible to reach #1 if you ask me!

I would say the #1 course needs to be an SSA of 58 (maybe 56)......although Blueberry plays a little easier than this.

Why are you playing those courses? They aren't the best is DFW.......not even close although Turner was pretty cool.

I feel cheap saying this, trying to get my course total up, almost to 50. Plus Fritz doesn't suck, does it? I guess I will find out. I plan on playing Lake Lewisville, The vet, Alex and Towne, Z boaz, North Park, Lester Beaver and any other upper rated 18 holers around DFW. Then make my way to East Metro, Cameron East and other highly rated courses that do not require driving all the way across Texas to play. I have already played Lester Coyote, H Meyers and Lindsey Gold. Those are the only highly rated Texas courses that I have played, although I loved the back 9 at U.T. Tyler. Tight and wooded.

Last edited:

Latest posts