• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Vs. Goliath

Who will win???

• Goliath - 0 experience but crazy athletic

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • David - 2.5 years of experience and a solid 300 - 350ft. drive

Votes: 113 75.8%
  • Who cares, stop wasting valuable interwebs space

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters
agreed, either play 9 holes or make the competition have three parts, distance, accuracy and putting

I just hope he doesnt throw OH. You might be screwed if he does. Good Luck learn some rollers

Some people just have talent like my friends buddy who threw a drive on his first ever hole that was 350 feet and aced it. Some people just have it

I would say have him play a hole...if he doesnt park watch his putts fail and beat him...driving doesnt let you dominate the sport entirely.

Dude, just play the disc golf distance hustle. You are going second, easy peasy. If he throws long, roll the crap out of him! If he sucks beat him in the air to minimize whining.

Make sure to pick a roller friendly field to throw in.

If the challenger is over 6', he more than likely has long arms. I would not let him see you drive before you take your set of drives to beat him. If he picks up on the rotation & follow through it could be trouble. I wouldn't want him to notice the disc selection either. Hopefully it will be windy & you can use that to futher your advantage.

Good advice. Keep him in the dark

Athletic

I took my bball buddy out to give disc golf a try. He's an athlete and was 3-ing everything by the end of the round. A little coaching with some disc selection and he was hitting 300'.

If your competition is of the slender type, I wouldn't offer up too many tips and hope he chooses an overstable driver thinking it will go farther.

Watch the first few throws. If he hasn't figured out an overhand, put an Epic in the stack and watch him fail. :D

if hes throwing BH i would pray for stable as all get out. if FH suggest to him something suuuper flippy. i honestly think experience will prevail here though. you have to have some snap to get 300+ft.

Yeah, this analogy doesn't make much sense. It is backwards. You are Goliath, the renowned champion with combat experience and skill. He is David, the inexperienced yet fit and strong teenager who has God on his side.

^ Damn good point!
This "contest" seems akin to seeing if someone can out throw a collegiate quarterback... who cares? There's so much more to either than "how far can you throw?" Just as having a big gun doesn't necessarily make someone Joe Montana, being able to throw 350+ doesn't make someone Ken Climo. Obviously being able to get it out there is a nice place to start from in either case, but there are many other things that factor into being successful in either case. If Neanderthals out there can't appreciate it, big effin' deal.

This is the first step. Goliath has no interest in disc golf because he thinks it will be too easy. I'm hoping that by outdoing him, he'll get interested.

Yeah, this analogy doesn't make much sense. It is backwards. You are Goliath, the renowned champion with combat experience and skill. He is David, the inexperienced yet fit and strong teenager who has God on his side.

Lol - it's mostly a size thing. I'm just as tall as him so it's really a pretty weak analogy, but he's got nearly 100lbs of muscle on me. So to clarify the rules for those who've been asking, this is a straight up distance comp. We will be in a wide open, perfectly flat field and there will be a number of drivers available in a pile. So far we have a Valkyrie, Boss, Archon, Banshee, striker, monarch, groove (heh), xcal, Blizzard Destroyer, and a beast. The muscly newb gets 50 throws and goes first. He COULD have practiced but I can almost guarantee he didn't because he has no money on this and is confident that it will be easy. He can throw however he likes but gets no instruction on how to throw and the types of throw available. I go after him and have 5 throws to beat his best. I typically throw 300 - 350ft. (on flat ground, no wind, in a field). The question is: which yields better distance, power or form? The question is not: Can a strong newb beat an experienced player? as nobody thinks that muscles will make a better putt and approach game.

Also, thanks for all the support guys! I'll make sure to get the results up ASAP. I believe we're going to throw around 230pm EST as long as the rain holds off.

form all day long. i watched a video of david wiggins throwing 485ft when he was 11.

This is undeniably true, but at what level does the form need to be to outperform strength every time? I have 2.5 years of experience and have spent the last year and a half working on form over strength to get to 300 - 350ft, but some on here feel that Goliath has options to get to 300 - 350ft. with only a few minutes practice using strength. So my question is, experience and form being exactly the same, would the stronger player throw further or do the physics of this not work that way? I know this is different from the original question this thread poses but I'm curious.

If 2 people of identical flexibility use identical form the stronger person will throw further