• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Day in the life of a pro..

domromer

* Ace Member *
Been playing a lot of golf lately, and it's got me thinking about how much golf a pro actually plays on a day to day basis. Are there many guys that they earn enough that golf is there one and only job? Are they playing six rounds per day? Are they in the gym pumping iron and running on a treadmill? Any thoughts on this?

I think most practice sessions by pros occur off the course. Field practice in open fields is the best. This all comes from an am who can't even dream of going pro.

Dave Feldberg has said he doesn't ever play rounds outside of tourneys. That may have changed recently, but these guys are playing upwards of 100-150 tourney rounds per year. They need to hone their skills doing field work and putting thousands of times at the basket, not playing casually.

There's less field work than you'd think, but more putting and course time. Because the touring pros are regularly playing a new tournament every week, a lot of the weekdays go into learning new courses--a round or two to really learn those courses can take several hours, because throwing multiple shots to really master distances, angles, or wind is essential. Travel time on Mondays/Tuesdays is a significant chunk of time depending on scheduling.

Can't be much different than the routine of a ball golfer?

Mullet seems to have the most accurate picture from what I have seen posted here.

JohnE McCray makes sure he gets 1,000 putts per day. Sometimes that happens on the course during what might look like a round to someone else minus the fact he is throwing nearly 100 putts at every basket.

When you are traveling, there are a lot of rounds to learn courses. I can't begin to tell you the names of all the pros I have played practice rounds with, so I won't. They really like to figure things out so there is no surprise when the real round comes. Even some of the local guys take extra days off of work before a tournament on a layout they haven't seen yet.

We all know that Avery has made a video about his off season lifting routine. I am guessing move of that stays in the off season in order to keep the muscles as fresh as they can be. The body needs time to recover. They probably aren't lifting the day before a tournament.

Speaking of which, there are almost always rest days, even from throwing a disc. I still imagine they do some sort of exercise but nothing too strenuous.

I am by no means a pro, but when I first started playing I didn't have a job, and was basically living all costs covered.

I progressed so quickly because I'd start my day in the field pretty early - before 9. Throw every disc in my bag back and forth practicing different shots for 2 or more hours. Then I'd break out my skill shot basket and putt at that for another hour or two, then head to my local course and play for the rest of the day.

I did this every day for two years, and my game was getting really good.

After I went back to working life and didn't have time for the field work and putting sessions, my game dropped off tremendously, distance suffered, putts stopped going in as often, etc.

I'd imagine this is the life of a pro. Disc golf from morning to night.

Latest posts