• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Daytona, FL?

Sethster

Any courses around Daytona worth playing? I'll be about 30 minutes outside of the city.

I'll be throwing my discs in the car just in case. :)

There are 2 courses with in 5 miles of each other in Daytona, both offer a enjoyable game. Tuscawilla is a fun course with a lot of water hazards. most are canals that you can easily get a disc back from. Holes 7 and 10 require throwing over water from the long tees.

Reed Canal is short technical course that is almost impossible to lose a disc at. It plays short (320 max) but the front 9 is through a fairly wood area which requires specific lines or hit a wayword tree.

When are you going to be in town?

If you are the right 30 miles you will be close to River City Nature Park in Debary, it is a nice little 9 holer.

There is also a 9 holer in Holly Hill now, but we didn't get to play it.

The one in Holly Hill is a poor course, I added here, and if you are on a limited time frame I wouldn't suggest it. River City on the other hand is a very nice 9 holer with both red and white tees which easily plays as a 18 (9 reds and 9 whites) since the lines are different on most of the holes.

The three courses mentioned are pretty much your options. Debary is probably my favorite out of the three. It has two teeing areas for each hole and some challenging lines (Hosfeld design) while still being relatively short. You likely won't see any other golfers out there.

Reed Canal is pretty fun and is where I would point you next (or first if you're limited to just Daytona). Flat piece of property with lots of palms and other trees to distract you. Has a ton of legitimate ace runs.

Tuscawilla is my least favorite as it in my opinion requires a spotter on too many holes or sometimes a good bit of time looking for discs in the palmettos (nasty prickly thick underbrush)

If you're between Daytona and Orlando try Barnett Park or Turkey Lake for a good time.

I'll be staying in New Symrna from this Saturday to next Thursday? Going with my wife's family for spring break.

I've never been there, but was told it was close to Daytona?

Sundays at Tuscawilla is the Handicaps follows by Doubles. There are also Monday Doubles at River city (this course is getting more popular and will have up to 25 people on it at anyone time.

Tuscawilla can be really freakin nasty. Just don't go there when it has rained a lot. Sewer systems in the area back up and flood the course when there is a large down fall. In the summer the pond become nasty with that and the evaporation and standing water. People often get really nasty infection from that place and getting in the water. I have heard of a couple of people losing toes to infections. I got bit by some fire ant and it got infected and I never even got in the water or put my hand in the water, and I almost lost my finger because of the infection. I'm not sayin I'm just sayin be careful there.

I would second the motion to avoid Tuscawilla. We were in town on a mini vacation so I had never played there before. Now, having been there, I can't understand why it's so highly rated. It looks pretty but that's all. I lost a favorite Wraith in some of the nastiest, scummy water I've ever seen. And there was a homeless camp just off the #6 fairway. Never again.

I would second the motion to avoid Tuscawilla. We were in town on a mini vacation so I had never played there before. Now, having been there, I can't understand why it's so highly rated. It looks pretty but that's all. I lost a favorite Wraith in some of the nastiest, scummy water I've ever seen. And there was a homeless camp just off the #6 fairway. Never again.

OP hasn't been active since April 2011. Just sayin'.

River City was "just a fun little nine holer". 36 holes there now lol.

River City Nature Park is the place to play. About 20 to 30 minutes from Daytona.

I've Played Tuscawilla. I enjoyed it. It has issues during the summer when it rains everyday. I played it in the spring and got a very dry course.

HOLY NECROBUMP BATMAN

Nothing to see here... move along.

Latest posts