• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DD Marksman vs MVP Blackhole Precision

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
Which catches better or are they consistently similar other than a few $?

Ive only seen the DD in person. Cant comment on performance.
Spec differences I found : $30 less for MVP and 12 chains vs 15 of DD's.
Weight would give a better idea of construction differences but cannot find a weight for DD's.
The MVP precision basket is 26lbs (boxed up for shipping).

Instead of getting a basket that's specifically for accuracy practice why don't you buy a full size basket and zip tie the chains together when you want a smaller target? I'll be purchasing the MVP Black Hole Pro some time this week and that's my plan.

^agreed 100% but people like what they like lol. I would never personally spend $ on half a basket when a normal one can be modified just as easily.

FWIW I haven't sold a precision from MVP but a few pro models with zero complaints and all praise.

Instead of getting a basket that's specifically for accuracy practice why don't you buy a full size basket and zip tie the chains together when you want a smaller target? I'll be purchasing the MVP Black Hole Pro some time this week and that's my plan.

I have two full size baskets already and have donated others to a school in past. Also, I may not be buying just one of these and need reviews.

I have two full size baskets already and have donated others to a school in past. Also, I may not be buying just one of these and need reviews.

I decided on one Marksman and just found out yesterday DD is out of stock so it sounds like the target is solid.

i own the dd marksman. However you should know that targets of this nature aren't meant to catch well if the putt is even slightly off. even when the putt is dead on it isn't a guarantee that the disc will stay in. the point of the marksman is to improve putting accuracy and get you used to seeing that one set of chains and creating that focus point. That way when you get to a full size basket, your putts are more forgiving and your focus is more narrow. that said if that is your goal. the Marksman is a great basket and i highly recommend it

Going an earlier post one better, to one up the Mach shift, use paracord on a SkillShot. Smaller target, cheaper, much more portable.

Maybe :thmbup: I went through this debate earlier this year.

Skillshot 26 lbs vs Shift 30 lbs.

Skillshot ~$110 vs Shift ~$170.

Skillshot 16 chains vs Shift 16 chains.

Skillshot collapses easier and is more portable, but I own a Jeep with plenty of space so not a huge plus for me. Weight difference is negligible.

Shift is all metal and offers the 3rd configuration (Pro).

I dig the Marksman.
At first it destroyed my confidence and I started to throw weak putts because I'd worry about the many many spit outs, which led to more missed putts and more weak spit outs.
But once I got over that mental block, it's helped immensely. I know if I've thrown a good putt. If it's in, it's in, if not, no bother.
Can't say I wouldn't have had the same benefits putting at a normal basket, but I like the look and size of the Marksman in my yard.

I had a Marksman, but sold it when we needed fast cash. Wish I still had it. Just ordered an MVP Black Hole Practice, over the Precision, because my kids wanted a full sized basket, and it was a bit cheaper. Looking forward to trying the MVP basket out.

Anyone try using one of the macro-sized baskets for precision practice, or are they too lightweight?
Personally I found that tying my Skill Shot chains in makes a great precision basket that is ultra portable.

Anyone try using one of the macro-sized baskets for precision practice, or are they too lightweight?
Personally I found that tying my Skill Shot chains in makes a great precision basket that is ultra portable.

I have an MVP macro basket that I've thrown a couple putts with full sized discs at, but have never really done a practice session on it. I think it would be too light and may get knocked over if you jam your putts in there.

Even better is that MVP sells a conversion kit for the Precision. I have a Black Hole Pro HD and was checking with our Club about getting a full Precision basket to mix up practice. Found out I dont need to spend $120+ on the Precision as I can just buy the conversion kit for $35 + shipping (retails at $65.00) and swap out as needed.

Precision Conversion kit comes with the top section only and the chains. Just unscrew the top piece of the Black Hole, remove Pro HD top and replace with Precision top, screw top piece back on. Also the conversion kit comes with a nicely made circular carrying case for the Precision top. Zip it up and carry it along with the full size basket. :thmbup:

Link --> https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/baskets/precision-conversion-kit/

Going an earlier post one better, to one up the Mach shift, use paracord on a SkillShot. Smaller target, cheaper, much more portable.

Dad has had one since the mid 2000's and you can still see on the inside the old Ching tag they left on the Innova logoed basket. He needs a new basket I think with the way the fabric is ripping but he will not get one. The Innova Skill Shot is already a smaller basket to catch discs in then the other baskets.

Last edited: