• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] DD Warden vs Lat 64 Dagger

vindog321

Hello all.
I've been putting with challengers ever since I've started playing DG in 2013. I definately love them and they've done good for me. My game has progressed quite a bit in the last year, but the one part of my game that is holding me back is putting. I feel most comfortable with a push putt, but I mostly miss low or high, mostly due to my need to practice, but I also feel it has to do with the challengers. If I don't put a bit of spin on them and get them high enough, they tend to drop a bit instead of floating in the chains. I was putting a bit with my friends zero hard dagger and loved that I could spin it very little and watch it glide right in the chains. I've decided I'm going to switch putters this year, and I like the idea of the dagger or Warden, both nice and glidy from what I hear. What are the similarities and differences between the two for those of you who have played with both? Also, are there any other floaty putters you would recommend? I will still keep the challengers around for windy days.
Thanks!!

I havent used a dagger so I cant compare, but I do love the warden. In terms of feel they seem pretty close to the McPro Aviars which I use. They're beadless so they're a bit less stable, whereas the dagger IS beaded so will be more stable than the Warden. I push putt as well, although I think most "push" putters are true push putters. If youve seen Feldbergs video on push, spin and spush putting, not many players truely push putt. The Warden would definitely my putter of choice between the two. I say that because I would choose it over the Judge which I think would more closely compared to the Dagger. As a throwing putter though, I would say the opposite.

I have used both and i am a spush putter. They both have a very similar flight both inside and outside of the circle. The dagger is a little slower and glidey. The biggest difference between the two is the feel in the hand. The dagger is beaded and a full handful, the warden is headless and I personally get a cleaner release. I personally prefer the feel and performance in the wind of the warden.

Ya I'm definitely a fan of the headless putters feel in the hand. Im going to make a drive to a disc golf store to feel them, but I'm thinking if the Warden feels nice I'll pick up a couple.

I have not used the Dagger, but the Warden is my in-the-circle putter of choice. I was using Classic Blend but have graduated to Classic (hard). The Warden has beaten out every other putter that I have tried, including the Judge, which also beat out everything else.

The Warden is more shallow than putters like the Aviar and Anode. It feels really good in my hand, not too deep. But it's not as shallow as the Colt, Stud, Proxy, or Envy; the Warden is just the ideal putter for me. JMHO, of course.

Having said that, I understand that the Dagger is a bit more overstable than the Warden. The Warden is a very straight/neutral flyer on my spin putts. I think some of the pros (Wysocki?) use the Dagger. All I can suggest is that you try both. The winner goes into your bag, the loser gets paid forward or can be sold...

The Warden is more shallow than putters like the Aviar and Anode. It feels really good in my hand, not too deep. But it's not as shallow as the Colt, Stud, Proxy, or Envy; the Warden is just the ideal putter for me. JMHO, of course.

According to inbounds, Warden, Proxy, and Aviar all have the same depth, 1.5.

Yea I was going to say, I dont notice a different in depth (judging by feel) between the Warden and the Aviar. McPro Aviar that is, which I believe is basically a firmer beadless (classic?) Aviar?

They sure feel different, though. And part of it is how the top comes to meet the rim. For example: the Anode feels like it has an arch that I have trouble getting a grip on. It's not the rim but the top.

They sure feel different, though. And part of it is how the top comes to meet the rim. For example: the Anode feels like it has an arch that I have trouble getting a grip on. It's not the rim but the top.
Totally agree. I don't like the feel of the inside of the rim on the anode. Warden feels great in the hand.

If your heart is set on sticking with DD, go with a Judge for push putting. That's what I use for the push putt, and it is pretty easy to control. The lack of overstabilitiness on it is probably its best feature for push putting; it's so neutral that it's easy to carve any line you need, and it has pretty good glide without being too floaty.

Whatever you do go with though, I'd recommend using the Blend/Medium plastic. When I switched to Judges I started with Classic Hards and had issues with them bouncing back off the pole on short putts; switching to Blend cured that. Plus they've got phenomenal grip without being too floppy.

I would definitely add Macana to the discussion as it is basically more comfortable Dagger.

If you want something similar in feel to the Challenger, then maybe try the Gauntlet.

Hello all.
I've been putting with challengers ever since I've started playing DG in 2013. I definately love them and they've done good for me. My game has progressed quite a bit in the last year, but the one part of my game that is holding me back is putting. I feel most comfortable with a push putt, but I mostly miss low or high, mostly due to my need to practice, but I also feel it has to do with the challengers. If I don't put a bit of spin on them and get them high enough, they tend to drop a bit instead of floating in the chains. I was putting a bit with my friends zero hard dagger and loved that I could spin it very little and watch it glide right in the chains. I've decided I'm going to switch putters this year, and I like the idea of the dagger or Warden, both nice and glidy from what I hear. What are the similarities and differences between the two for those of you who have played with both? Also, are there any other floaty putters you would recommend? I will still keep the challengers around for windy days.
Thanks!!

I putted with challengers for years, and when I switched to Judges it was for the reason you're looking too. My push putting was good but never great no matter how much I practiced because I found myself missing low so often. The challenger was never really comfortable in my hand either. Enter the judge - a decently stable putter with good glide. Started throwing them and couldn't imagine myself not using them. I've hit more longer putts with the judge than any other putter. It's very good off the tee and approaching as well, once you get used to ranging the glide it has. I should also note that my putt has changed slightly, less of a pure pitch putt and more of a hybrid spush putt since moving to judges. YMMV of course.

I've not thrown the dagger, because I know it's a deep putter similar to an aviar. The warden is a beadless judge - basically a pure. Never thrown those either but I hear they are more about speed and less about glide.

Latest posts