• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Replace my Rhyno

mojorooks

Birdie Member
About a year or so I switched to an R-pro Rhyno. It seems to fit my putting style pretty well and I definitely had an uptick in confidence while using them. But then last fall, I lost one and the only other putter I had 2 of were Z metallic Ringer GTs so I switched to those. I enjoyed the switch as it was a learning experience but after 30 rounds or so I'm ready to move on.

I know I could just buy more Rhynos and probably will but wouldn't mind putter ho-ing around for a bit, and this sight loves putter requests!!! I'm looking for something similar but different. Maybe something that has the FLOP like a Rhyno but maybe less stable? Also what plastics are similar to R-pro?

Thanks!

Last edited:
K3 soft Berg maybe? It doesn't have an actual thumbtrack but it kinda feels like it does. Probably has the flight you're looking for

Lat 64 Sinus sounds like a possibility but I think they're OOP

DGA Breaker would maybe work too but they may be tricky to find in R-Pro like plastic

I'd say try out some soft ringer GTs. They'll be way more like an rpro rhyno than the metallic z versions.

DGA breaker is another potential disc, but I don't believe DGA offers it in any soft/floppy plastics, only regular D line.

The current Tar Pit Reptilian Serpent is great. Not quite as soft new as some R Pro but close. It has similar glide and less bite than a rhyno. If you like the bite at the end the Scale is also in a similar class.

Soft ringers and berg are also winners for low glide putting putters. K3 isn't nearly as soft as it sounds you would want.

The current Tar Pit Reptilian Serpent is great. Not quite as soft new as some R Pro but close. It has similar glide and less bite than a rhyno. If you like the bite at the end the Scale is also in a similar class.

Soft ringers and berg are also winners for low glide putting putters. K3 isn't nearly as soft as it sounds you would want.

Tar pit Serpent is an excellent recommendation. Low glide, good turn resistance & low fade.

Came here to say that. Well said sir!

Aww see, I remember the Serpent from an earlier thread but forgot about it!

I just sank an 80fter last night in league using a Ringer. The nice thing about the flop putt is it allows me to go for it without risking the comeback. But the Ringer doesn't flop, it skips on by :(

Aww see, I remember the Serpent from an earlier thread but forgot about it!

I just sank an 80fter last night in league using a Ringer. The nice thing about the flop putt is it allows me to go for it without risking the comeback. But the Ringer doesn't flop, it skips on by :(

I promise you the tarpit serpent wont skip on by... it has minimal ground play almost to a fault.

Played a hole recently that had OB creek in front of the basket, and ob sidewalk behind the basket. Beyond the sidewalk was safe. 260' I thought I could just stick the serpent on the green with about 40' of space between the two OBs. I actually almost aced it, but the serpent landed on the sidewalk, and barely slid a foot, remaining on the OB sidewalk... I threw my armor (not grippy) on the next lap just in case I land on the sidewalk it would at least slide safe again...

I don't have any experience with normal putters in TarPit plastic, but I will say that it is absolutely the best feeling base plastic I've fondled. I only have a Stego in it. Great disc, but probably not for normal putting duties. If I was ever to ho around with some putters myself, I'd be looking at the scale or serpent or something RDG in TarPit. Also, they are just fantastic people over there. That helps, too.

It sounds like you like over stable putters!? I recently bought a Champion & star Toro. They feel great in the hand & have a good grip...Plus they don't skip/roll far from the basket. I also bought K1 soft Berg ( the opaque grippy one) that sticks like Velcro when it lands! Hope this helps.

It sounds like you like over stable putters!? I recently bought a Champion & star Toro. They feel great in the hand & have a good grip...Plus they don't skip/roll far from the basket. I also bought K1 soft Berg ( the opaque grippy one) that sticks like Velcro when it lands! Hope this helps.

I guess so??? Originally the Rhyno was utility disc for baskets on hills to prevent roll aways. But I bought a second one and used them full time. They seemed to click with me. I think the OS forced me to develop a form. If you don't put a big anny on it, its going to fade out quick. I tend to be a minimalist and rarely go out and buy discs. I got the pair of Ringers from league and didn't mind giving them a shot. But I'm over it. I'm going to switch to my old Eraser wizard/CT challenger combo until I can get my RDG ordered.

Dry hopped wizard???

Trigger pulled! I also just remembered the Stego. I wanted one years ago but they weren't available. As soon as I saw it, I got a stiffy... they call it Amber:D

Ordered: 2 TP serpents, 2 TP scales, 1 Armor Stego. I was hemming and hawing at checkout, then saw 20% off for Memorial day. PERFECT!!!

Trigger pulled! I also just remembered the Stego. I wanted one years ago but they weren't available. As soon as I saw it, I got a stiffy... they call it Amber:D

Ordered: 2 TP serpents, 2 TP scales, 1 Armor Stego. I was hemming and hawing at checkout, then saw 20% off for Memorial day. PERFECT!!!

Good job taking advantage of the sale, I considered stocking up some more but never pulled the trigger.

Amber stego are such ridiculous beef. So much fun even if it doesn't really have a spot in the bag.

Keep us posted on how you like the Serp/Scale!

Good job taking advantage of the sale, I considered stocking up some more but never pulled the trigger.

Amber stego are such ridiculous beef. So much fun even if it doesn't really have a spot in the bag.

Keep us posted on how you like the Serp/Scale!

Will do! I will use the Serpent for a month or so, then switch to the scale for a month or so.

The Stego - will probably hang out in the bag for practice rounds so I can figure it out. What do you use it for? Tomahawks? FH rollers?

Awww man... Now I'm thinking about FH rollers with the Stego. I'll probably have to plop it down right in front of me otherwise its going to pull out, LOL!! But that is still an interesting shot... hmmm

Awww man... Now I'm thinking about FH rollers with the Stego. I'll probably have to plop it down right in front of me otherwise its going to pull out, LOL!! But that is still an interesting shot... hmmm

FH Rollers with a stego are a unique skillset. You have to throw it vertical or **** close to it and not too far in front of you. I am not terribly good at em.

I use the Stego for FH and BH get out of jail and insane wind stuff. Least thrown disc in my bag, but I am really happy its there when I need it. I could probably throw it for a lot of my lower speed devil hawk stuff, but especially at 5000'+ the DH is plenty OS for me.

First day using the Serpent.

Loved the feel. Nice and rubbery. Got some good flops - it gives me faith that it will land and stay put. It was rainy but the sand wasnt really sticking to it which is a gripe I have about R-pro. I didn't test it on slopes, though maybe I should have.

I made a 60fter during practice but not during the league round :\

First day using the Serpent.

Loved the feel. Nice and rubbery. Got some good flops - it gives me faith that it will land and stay put. It was rainy but the sand wasnt really sticking to it which is a gripe I have about R-pro. I didn't test it on slopes, though maybe I should have.

I made a 60fter during practice but not during the league round :\

Glad you liked it! The Serp was a mold that we never asked for but once we threw it...we knew it was magic. (pun intended)

The story goes, I tooled the top with DaveMac. I was so excited to run Scales that I drove to the shop the instant the loaded the mold in.

Dave (being Dave) decided he wanted to test the venting of the mold and the Magic bottom has better venting apparently so he ran them first.

Disappointed, but I took the protos out to the parking lot and tossed them. That's when I realized we had an amazing putter on our hands.

Dead straight, little glide and just super easy to crank flat.

The Serpent was never in our plans... But it definitely has a place in our bags.

I threw out my shoulder a couple weeks ago so I haven't played much but finally played yesterday. I'm still liking my serpents. Definitely a great putter. Does it fully replace the Rhyno? No, but I guess I really don't expect anything to and with one Rhyno left, I don't need it to. I still use the Rhyno for sloped putts.

The Rhyno is also a great forehander but with my FH out of commision for a while, thats no longer an advantage. FH rollers, shitty backhanders and jump putts are my game for now :/

Give me a few more months and I'll give the scales a try.