• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dead Straight Fairway Driver with no Fade

Star TL. I love it and throw it on lots of tight tunnel drives through the woods. Stable enough to not flip over but with very little fade...great combination.

A slightly beaten DX/Glow Teebird, beaten Star Teebird, or a TL out of the box.

straightest disc i've ever thrown is a new photon-glo tracker, followed by an ESP XL

I just went and looked at the numbers on a TL and my reaction was -----> :shock:

HSS of 0 and a LSS of 1. Wow, I wish I had seen that sooner. A TL is now on my shopping list.

My least-fading fairway driver is a Discraft Impact. If thrown too hard, it turns over, of course, but for 200-foot shots in the woods, it's as straight as they come.

Midnightbiker said:
I just went and looked at the numbers on a TL and my reaction was -----> :shock:

HSS of 0 and a LSS of 1. Wow, I wish I had seen that sooner. A TL is now on my shopping list.

Not on JFC. A new TL needs a lot of power for no fade and will probably be around 400'. If it has flashing. It's completely different animal without flashing and does fade very little indeed. It takes some time to beat fade out of a Teebird and a good snap but it can go straight on low hard throws. Then it's certainly in fairway driver distances because a TB need height for great D.

For truly straight flight out of the box a Leopard is a great bet. Depends on your form and power which plastics and weights are best for you but all of them are fairly easy for anyone excepts noobs to get to fly with minimal fade. Certainly less than a TL without flashing or a not yet beat to straight TB.

I've thrown 166 DX Leopard from stand still to 200' without fade and to 360' with about 1' of fade this week. Prior to that 175 Champ with 0-2' of fade up to 394' with 2' downhill. A 148 Star Leo I've got is less predictable by being more flippy. CAn't take as much power/requires more initial hyzer. Even the 175 flips easily in mild headwinds. No wind handling capability to speak of. Tl is better in that and TB is superior to TL.

My TL and XL still fade. I have learned though that I don't count, since discs are more overstable for me than just about anyone I play with. I think I'm just gonna rock the Sidewinders from now on.

If I were you I would go with a dx leopard. Its the only driver that I've thrown on a line and not have it fade. Let it wear in just a little and it will flip flat and stay there. The TL was just too unpredictable for me. It would hyzdr flip past flat and then sometimes come back and sometimes it wouldn't.

yeah, for me a star TL still had a lot of fade, and my avg drive is around 325ft maxing out around 350ft. The CFR TL seemed to have a lot less HSS and LSS.

I'll second that a DX Leopard would probably be the closest thing to no fade. The Z XL has 1.5 stability, and is not hard to snap to straight, but my Z XL that I've used for about a year now still has some fade left on it. The D XL would probably be the closest thing in Discraft's line up to a fairway driver with no fade. Discraft also makes their "long range" driver line, which basically consists of mids with driver like qualities/distance. Basically the stratus, the eclipse, meteor, and Impact.

But what are you really want this fairway driver with no fade to do?

If your looking for a magical disc that does nothing but go straight, it's not out there. Even these discs with low LSS or zero and negative stability on discraft and innova's scales, you still have to finesse these disc straight or you'll end up turning them over too much. I prefer to have discs like the Z XL or a beaten up D or DX fairway driver like the Cyclone, Teebird or Gazelle. They'll start out with stability, but it's no problem to aim slightly to the right, snap them straight and have them fade slightly.

Yea, I got a Z-XL, I guess I need to take it out of storage and mess around with it again at the practice field. I might just do that this weekend. That would save me some money as well.

Sabre is the best I have seen for dead straight but the XL works about as well but has a little S in its flight.

scoot_er said:
Sabre is the best I have seen for dead straight but the XL works about as well but has a little S in its flight.

I would say the Sabre as well. It's probably the straightest driver I've ever thrown.

I find that discs like the TL, JLS and XL do have some fade to them. If you're good at controlling discs you can compensate for it with a really late, shallow turn, but there are straigher discs out there.

I find that discs like the EL, Leopard and Tracker have little fade, but are kind of squrrley. You'll sacrifice control for less fade.

I find that a beat DX Teebird, beat S Sabre are the straigtest drivers out there that aren't squirrley. They still resist turn alright and kind of lock into flat and stay flat for a very long time.

garublador said:
I find that discs like the TL, JLS and XL do have some fade to them. If you're good at controlling discs you can compensate for it with a really late, shallow turn, but there are straigher discs out there.

I find that discs like the EL, Leopard and Tracker have little fade, but are kind of squrrley. You'll sacrifice control for less fade.

I find that a beat DX Teebird, beat S Sabre are the straigtest drivers out there that aren't squirrley. They still resist turn alright and kind of lock into flat and stay flat for a very long time.

Tracker isn't straight., at least thed Z and half of the ESP ones I have tried. I use them for controlled hyzers and headwinds.