• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dear Innova, the thing that will make you rich is:

Really interesting post. Seems to offer a couple explanations. The old 2002 Innova interview was confusing. Innova had two plastics, Pro and CE. As they ran out of the plastic for Pro, they started supplementing it by adding some CE. Over time, the two plastics became "indistinguishable", so they dropped the name CE and just started calling everything Pro, rebranding some other blend as fundraiser candy. But that would mean that there was MORE CE available to them.

The post about them having issues with the molding process with the CE blend makes the most sense of all the explanations I've heard. It seems logical though that:
A) CE blend was or is likely used by other companies/industries. So someone else is able to get a consistent injection molded product from that blend. That might be because they have superior molds or equipment that would increase pressure inside the mold, avoid bubbles/impurities, etc. I'm not in plastics, but I'm sure someone who does could offer some good reasons.
B) Innova likely doesn't have the margins I would have assumed they did. I would assume that only maybe $2 of the cost of every disc is connected to its actual production. Scrapping even 2/3 of all your produced product would still be well under $10, which would still leave a heavy margin of they sold them at even 1/2 of the current open market value.

And it still doesn't explain why the quality of their old DX, Ching, 10-11x plastic can't be continued.

Start using a plastic similar to Gold Line, but better, and with lots of pretty swirls!

Based on your response im assuming you have a masters degree in business. It's called social responsibility. Look at the companies that contribute to those that don't

I don't think it takes going to school that long to hear about social responsibility in many business courses. They could however write those expenses off, and pay a considerably lower tax rate than they would otherwise. They could also recycle a lot more plastic and earn some "green" energy tax credits and pay nearly nothing in taxes:|

I don't think it takes going to school that long to hear about social responsibility in many business courses. They could however write those expenses off, and pay a considerably lower tax rate than they would otherwise. They could also recycle a lot more plastic and earn some "green" energy tax credits and pay nearly nothing in taxes:|

I agree with you. That's a great idea. My reply you quoted was sarcastic in response to someone's childish response to my initial posting earlier in this thread.

yeah, all of the innova hate is just dumb.

they mold millenium plastic - which gets highly praised on here
the mold discmania plastic - which gets highly praised on here

it's funny that people bitch about the discs with innova on there but not about those. they just produced two of the best new drivers on the market: PD and FD.

You guys aren't getting it. People are not bitching about innova for the most part.
They are upset because a great disc like the pd comes out and is fantastic, then its time for the second run and it has a plus mold, made of crappy plastic, some are too ridgid others are too gummy, too flat, too domey... Just wait, the jackal will be messed up too. They get bored fast over there.

Innova and Discraft both do quite a bit for charity. The DG club I helped with got a lot of free kids discs for Elementary kids and such. The constraint isn't their willingness to donate, it's the general lack of organization in DG clubs who fail to get registered as non-profits.

There's always going to be a segment of the population that hates the top dog, no matter what. For example, Nickelback and Budweiser are both massive, and I can't stand either (for good reason, but that's for another thread).
Hey fella im allways down to hate on a band full of douches but dont bring the king of beers into it

Yeah i think innova's mold plan is very simple.

get the pros/advanced players throwing a mold....wait a while till market is flooded with discs and then make that disc less stable so new starter players can use it.
basically they do it to every single mold and the discs always become less stable. never are they meathooks they error on the side of flippy.

destroyer---omg now everyone sells them way over value
beast
teebird
firebird
dx roc
the list goes on and on but are the other better? not really just smaller with fewer favorite molds to ruin. i throw molds from 5 companies but with destroyers gone i'm slowly moving to discraft

Innova should sell a line that is QC stamped! but that admits that they mess up discs all the time.

Bring back CE plastic.

That won't make them rich, but is a dayum good idea! :thmbup:

People readily pay $30 and up, sight unseen for used CE discs in various stages of wear.
I know they would easily pay $30 a disc for new CE. And more people will throw CE then because they know it can be replaced. I have stopped throwing mine for the fear of loosing them and not be able to resaonably (time and money) replace them.
Thanks for the thumb.

Hey fella im allways down to hate on a band full of douches but dont bring the king of beers into it

That's not beer - It's fizzy yellow water. So many guys think it's manly to drink beer, but can only handle tasteless hop juice. I used to work for the railroad and there were tracks behind the NH Bud plant. That place smelled worse than the dump every time we had to work there... :gross:

People readily pay $30 and up, sight unseen for used CE discs in various stages of wear.
I know they would easily pay $30 a disc for new CE. And more people will throw CE then because they know it can be replaced. I have stopped throwing mine for the fear of loosing them and not be able to resaonably (time and money) replace them.
Thanks for the thumb.

CE plastic last forever. IMO, if they made more CE plastic their sales would go down because people would not have to replace them unless they get lost.

CE plastic last forever. IMO, if they made more CE plastic their sales would go down because people would not have to replace them unless they get lost.

I have heard that theory before, but...
Have you wore out more discs than you have lost?
I play 6-8 rounds a week and I can honestly say that in almost six years I have worn out three discs. Not including Rocs that beat into a different disc that I dont like.
I have lost waaay more than three in the time I have been playin.

I play 6-8 rounds a week and I can honestly say that in almost six years I have worn out three discs. Not including Rocs that beat into a different disc that I dont like.

I'm different. I don't lose very many discs. So it depends on your/mine/their experiences.

I've had a CE Spider in my bag for 4 years. I use it every round and it flies today the same it flew when it was new. My 8X Roc has been in my bag for 14 years.

That's not beer - It's fizzy yellow water. So many guys think it's manly to drink beer, but can only handle tasteless hop juice. I used to work for the railroad and there were tracks behind the NH Bud plant. That place smelled worse than the dump every time we had to work there... :gross:

:thmbup:

I just moved to the San Diego Brewery Belt, and there are some top notch courses here, too. Life is good.

Indeed. And intentionally selling an inferior product just to ensure customers need to buy more quantity is a pretty horrible business model. I could see it working for dominant companies with patents that protect them from competition. Innova doesn't have that luxury.
That would also require some forethought on their part, which I don't believe either.

Actually caring about your customers and not treating them like a dollar sign. INNOVA IS THE WALMART OF DISC GOLF

just to see it from the other side i heard that innova gives away a shopping spree at the warehouse for the person that brings in the most money for the icebowl...that money goes to foodbanks 100% so basically they are giving tons away for raising money for the poor.

which is nice.