• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deerfield Park, Irvine CA to Reopen in DAYS!

nexanimal

Bogey Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My buddy and I went to Deerfield Park in Irvine today to check out their progress on reopening the course. To our great surprise and pleasure, we bumped into the Park Manager "Bill" and Irvine DG Club member "Doug" while we were trying to find the first tee.

They told us all about their meetings and success with the City. Here's the scoop: After a DG incident in which a child was struck by a disc on Labor Day weekend, the City initially shut down the course.
Local newspaper article: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disc-golf-park-2320883-course-city
Prior forum thread on the park closure: www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815&highlight=deerfield

The local DG community, partly rallied by this Forum, organized the Irvine DG Club, showed up at City meetings, and convinced the City (with Innova's help) of the attractiveness of DG as an amenity in city parks.

As a result, Irvine has made a commitment to support DG in their parks, and they are redesigning and reinstalling 9-hole courses with formal tees and baskets at both Deerfield and University Parks. Further, there is a new large regional park in Irvine called "the Great Park", being built on the location of a former Marine base, and the IDGC has had some success convincing the appropriate authorities that a DG course at the Great Park would be a big winner, though it's not committed yet.

We got to play the under-construction new course with Doug, shooting from tee boxes defined by staked up caution tape (don't trip!) to poles sunk into the ground this afternoon which will support the baskets. The new layout shoots around the edge of the park in a counterclockwise direction, and mostly avoids shooting across the park's open, grassy middle. The new course, designed by Innova for free, will have a combination of rubber and sidewalk tees and real baskets instead of target poles as before.

It's a short layout, with the longest hole #9 under 300'. The designers, however, have taken good advantage of existing trees and hills to make play here challenging and fun. Doug said the tees will be installed within the next couple of days, and then they will install the baskets a few days after that. The latest date the course will be open is April 4th, but it could be ready sometime late next week.

THE IRVINE DISC GOLF CLUB NEEDS OUR HELP.
They have set up a web site to track the progress of the new courses, and they need to show participation to make the City feel good about continued support for disc golf in Irvine (particularly at the Great Park). The more, the merrier... so if you'd like to help out, create an account at and while you're there, check out course photos and status updates.

WWW.IRVINEDISCGOLFCLUB.COM -- GO HERE, SIGN UP, HELP DG IN IRVINE

I'll be posting a review of the new course (pre-course) sometime over the weekend. In the meantime, here's a funny picture of the new first hole's caution-tape tee. I'm looking forward to playing the course, installed, next week!

- nex :D

Attachments

• Deerfield new 1st tee with arrow.jpg
    Deerfield new 1st tee with arrow.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 8
That's great I live in North County SD and I've been looking forward to some alternative courses that aren't too far away. I was worried that these two would never open back up again.

Shooting for April Fool's Day Opening

We played the new Deerfield Park course today. They've made great progress and believe the course will be finished by April Fool's Day. The rubber teepads are in, and they are really nice: mounted on beds of crushed rock, they should not become mudholes when it rains. A local we chatted with told us that the baskets have arrived, but they are waiting for the signs.

The new course is really fun: I'll write a review soon but they have taken good advantage of existing obstacles, primarily trees. Most of the holes are short so it's friendly to less experienced players and a potential birdie- and ace-fest for the rest. We've already spied out alternate tees to add more challenge, but the course as designed is a fun local 9 holer.

A reminder from my post below to help out the Irvine Disc Golf Club by creating an account on their new web site. Many thanks to anyone who does.

I'm really looking forward to playing the new course when it's finished.

- nex :D

THE IRVINE DISC GOLF CLUB NEEDS OUR HELP.
They have set up a web site to track the progress of the new courses, and they need to show participation to make the City feel good about continued support for disc golf in Irvine (particularly at the Great Park). The more, the merrier... so if you'd like to help out, create an account at and while you're there, check out course photos and status updates.

WWW.IRVINEDISCGOLFCLUB.COM -- GO HERE, SIGN UP, HELP DG IN IRVINE

Latest posts