• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Define 'Rec' player

Ok... lets Use me as the example here (since i'm contemplating entering a tournament)...

Years Played: 4ish
Times Played Per week: 2
Bag size: Fade Bag- Holds ~12 discs - use 6-7 in a round
Average score on an average course (5000-6000ft) : 60
Average score on a "short" course (4000-5000ft): 50-55
Average score on a "long" course (6000+ft) 65+
Total Tournaments entered in lifetime: 1-Ace race 2011 (Poor finish...dang 30MPH wind)

You have two choices on this subject.
1. Use the PDGA rating system and forget the meaning of the division names.
Under 900 is rec

2. Go by the names and skill set implied with those names.
A player who occasionally plays DG, not very competitive or skilled. Drives <300, make putts inside 15' 50-60% and 20'+ 25-35% would be my idea of a REC level player. Def nothing in the 885+ rating range.

Let's try to clarify for those that are confused:

When should a player be allowed to enter the 'Rec' division in a tournament?
When they have a PDGA rating of 899 or below or are tourney inexperienced.

Should a local tournament be considered any different than a PDGA sanctioned tourney with respect to the 'Rec' division (should there be any distinction)?
If its a regular tournament, not really.

What are the parameters?Umm, player rating below 900

When should a player stop entering the 'Rec' division in tournaments?
When they have a rating of 900 or more, or when they find that via the results, that they can compete in Intermediate. Wins don't mean anything because whether you win or not is dependent upon the crowd who showed up that day, and how many were there. Beating a group of 6 is a whole lot easier than beating a group of 30.

Where's the cut-off?
Umm, 899 or below.

Should there be a cut-off?
Yes.

How much experience?
Doesn't matter. Some of us just suck.

How many days/months/years/decades of throwing a disc?
See above.

Does one year count as a whole year if a player only throws once every 2 weeks or so?
Yes, a year is a fixed entity of time. How much experience a player gains in that time may be influenced by how much time they play or practice, but not necessarily.

If a player throws a disc recreationally for 20 years (never enter a tourney), can they enter the 'Rec' division in their first tourney?
Sure, why not.

Should a player be able to enter the 'Rec' division for as long as they play disc golf?
Provided they're rating stays below 900, or whatever number the PDGA changes it to, yes.

If a player gets DFL in the Int division in a tourney, should they be allowed to drop down & play 'Rec'?
If they're rating remains 900 or higher, no. If it drops below, then yes.
:popcorn:

And personally speaking, I think all of the PDGA division names are stupid, as most people in a tournament "recreational" division are still advanced amongst the whole community of disc golfers. Lets use a numerical or color based code instead.

Last edited:
Under 900 is rec

A player who occasionally plays DG, not very competitive or skilled. Drives <300, make putts inside 15' 50-60% and 20'+ 25-35% would be my idea of a REC level player. Def nothing in the 885+ rating range.

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head and have identified the source of confusion. You have 885+ players playing Rec. because according to PDGA that is were they belong. In the same tournament you will have a guy who signed up for Rec. because the word seems to match the way he plays. A good start to fixing the problem would be to get rid of the words Rec and novice.

Under 900 is rec

Yes.

If the question is about what division to play in sanctioned tournaments, #1, absolutely.

If the question is about local play---I think that's up to the locality, and the TD. For example, the TD for our club monthlies has created 3 divisions, Gold-Silver-Bronze, and is sole judge of when players must move up.

Well I am going to go into the REC position for this tourney. I have others from my team playing in advance and have been offered to play with them in advanced. But I know I have no chance.

And personally speaking, I think all of the PDGA division names are stupid, as most people in a tournament "recreational" division are still advanced amongst the whole community of disc golfers. Lets use a numerical or color based code instead.

I agree about "Rec", I guess people forget about "Novice".

I was a rec player when I started doing tournaments 4 years ago, but I thought I was up for int. At least, that level was what I aspired to. Pride prevented me from moving down, even after my scores left me out of cash in int when I could've been top-5 in rec. This year, I'm getting some top-5 finishes in int, so I'm finally catching up.

There's plenty of factors to consider. I started with the goal of improving my play, so I gravitated towards the level I wanted to be at, rather than where i was. I knew I'd be playing multiple tournaments, playing some courses blind the day of, playing with better players than I was used to, etc., so I expected to get my clock cleaned. I also had little to no experience in competitive sports, so I knew that would test my mental toughness, which faltered more often than not early on.

So it depends on what an individual wants out of it. Intermediate usually has a better payout and the players are a little better as far as knowing rules and courtesy on the course. If I was only doing a couple local tournaments a year, I'd probably play rec.

I wish they got rid of all the different divisions. Tournaments should be open, rec and grandmasters. If you cant play with the big boys then get more practice in and if you suck too much then play rec. This is one of the only sports where you can have more than one winner which I think is why it is hard for the general public to support and get behind specially when the ratings get thrown in the mix. I understand the reason for the different levels a player can enter tournaments but the first one we enter will be open. Why not go for it all and get your butt kicked than kick a bunch of sorry saps butts? Too many wannabe pro's in DG but I guess without them there would be zero payouts. Not the best way to do it either I know this but just seems like a waste to have so many different divisions/ tiers... Racing is the only thing I can compare it to and at-least those guys are running different cars.

#1) It would be great if everybody had a PDGA rating, but they dont. Now what do you do?
#2) I forgot about the 'Novice' division. You dont see that division much around here (Novices & Rec are in the same group most times unless it's a huge tourney)
#3) IMHO Too much emphasis on results/pressure of an official tourney & not enough on personal integrity