• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Moines Courses

mndiscg

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm going to be in the area soon and I've noticed that there's a lot of courses. Anybody played them? Which are worth my time?

How much time do you have and what types of courses are your favorites?

If I'm not mistaken, Walnut Ridge is closed for the season. Pickard, Ewing, Big Creek and Grandview are the rest of the top courses in the area.

Let us know if you have any sort of time or location preferences or limitations.

I completely agree with Garublador on that list of top courses. Ewing is the most beautiful (in my opinion), and Pickard is the longest/most intense. Those are must-see courses; after that, I would rank them as:

3) Walnut Ridge (if it's open)
4) Big Creek (some awkwardly narrow hallways, but good overall)
5) Grandview (a busy city park, but still fun)

It's no wonder why they held the 2004 Worlds on these courses -- they're quite deserving of that status. There are also several cute little 9s in the greater Des Moines area, but if your time is limited, those five are the ones to hit.

As a local, my favorites to hit are (in subjective order):

1. Walnut Ridge
2. Ewing
3. Pickard
4. Grandview
5. Big Creek

Not to say that Big Creek is a bad course, it's just that the other ones are that good. Also, try to hit the Ames courses (25 miles north) on your way here or back. Each are roughly 3 miles west of I-35.