• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Moines trip, limited time solo

Looking at the courses suggested from an NC DGer perspective, if you lose a disc there you did something bad wrong. Those courses are wide ass open.

Looking at the courses suggested from an NC DGer perspective, if you lose a disc there you did something bad wrong. Those courses are wide ass open.

pimp.gif

Can anyone tell me why Ewing would be closing? Is this something temporary or seasonal? :confused:

Grandview would have to be part of this mix. I would suggest playing it first because it gets the most rec player traffic. If you are pushed for time, there are some okay 9-12 courses in the area.

they are widening a road to 4 lanes, holes 1,2,3,17,18 are all going to be affected by the project. there's a TON of extra room at the park though, it'll be a good opportunity to fix some flow issues on the back nine and give the park a new feel. sucks it's going to be out of commision for so long though.

From an IA DGer turned SC DGer, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

That's not a horrible pair given your situation. I would highly recommend Tasty Taco near Grandview. Get a soft taco. Or 6.
I think that's an excellent suggestion. Make sure they're steak tacos, though and double make sure to put some hot sauce on them.

Not sure I'm going to be able to find time (or stomach room) for Tasty Taco after looking at the Fongs Pizza menu. My mouth is watering.

Played Ewing and loved it but was having a plinko round so that hurt my enjoyment

Played Grandview and loved it, the course was spot on from the long tees for my skill level.

Played Crivaro because I had 45 minutes left. Didnt get an ace but enjoyed trying.

Skipped Fong's to make the wife happy.

You Des Moines folk sure have some beautiful parks, the big mature trees are awesome.

If you ever make the trip back, I would hit up Walnut Ridge and Big Creek. They are two great courses and only about 10 minutes apart or so. Sorry if someone already suggested these, but I didn't read the whole thread.

I played Ewing for the first time today. Such ****ty navigation but the holes were decent. Not a 4 star course by any means. Probably would've been at least a 4 star if I had a guide or if the maps were accurate.

Skipped Fong's to make the wife happy.
It might not be a super popular opinion, but I don't think you missed much there. Just get a pizza crust from the grocery store and put come Chinese food on it and that's basically what you have. Make some really strong drinks before you have the pizza, too.

Grandview isn't the best course out there, but I think it's one of the most enjoyable to play. It rewards really good shots but doesn't really punish the bad ones. Plus it's a nice park with mature trees that both shield some wind and sun.

I played Ewing for the first time today. Such ****ty navigation but the holes were decent. Not a 4 star course by any means. Probably would've been at least a 4 star if I had a guide or if the maps were accurate.
The navigation isn't perfect, but it's not horrible, either. I've played way worse and I haven't really played that many courses. It's really only an issue once. The quality of the holes and upkeep of the course way more than compensates. IMO, it's definitely a 4 star course.

From an IA DGer turned SC DGer, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I was just speaking from my perspective and pictures on the internet. I also used to live in Greenville SC and the golf there is different from NC. But still you are right I have never played or even set foot in the state of Iowa. no disrespect just my perspective.

now that I think about it I think I've met you before. I think it was at the Ice Bowl in Easely a couple of years ago.

EDIT: @ grodney what is that dancing purple thing all about?

I was just speaking from my perspective and pictures on the internet. I also used to live in Greenville SC and the golf there is different from NC. But still you are right I have never played or even set foot in the state of Iowa. no disrespect just my perspective.

now that I think about it I think I've met you before. I think it was at the Ice Bowl in Easely a couple of years ago.

EDIT: @ grodney what is that dancing purple thing all about?

Did you have a big, burly beard?

Actually there are a lot of wooded courses around Iowa that are a lot tighter than the ones around the Des Moines area (with the exception of Big Creek maybe). So you are partly right. I'd like to try some NC wooded courses someday, I like technical golf.

Hey come on down and check us out! I hope I'm still allowed in Iowa after all this :p

I've played in NC and Iowa and would say Wildcat Bluff in Urbana and Fuller Park in Muscatine are as wooded as any course in NC.

Latest posts