• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I guess I'll give this a shot..
First off, Anthon's are a very expensive collectors item now.. not something you're going to use as a thrower.. but maybe you have expensive taste.. Philo's are nice, IMO.. They are all a little lighter weight, 167-169g i believe, They are less stable than the new stock runs and are a little more gummy and grippy. The new stock runs are beef cakes, and stiff. The Brinster's are Very beefy.. They seem like the stiffest of the plastic molds I've tried.. Hope this helps some.

^ This seems mostly right to me. I would add that some of the current run of Star (with the embossed word "Destroyer" on the underside rather than pen) are actually a little less overstable than the previous McBeth run. The max weights are still pretty beefy, but a little lighter and they can be much more workable. I have a 163g that was actually quite flippy out of the box. Anyway, stock-stamped Star Destroyers of all weights can be all over the place in stability, so you want to buy them in person if possible. For less overstability, you want to look for lower PLH, flatter, and a straighter wing (as opposed to more concave).

Personally I really like buying max weight GStar Destroyers. They are straight to fade with good glide out of the box (at least for my ~400 feet of power), and they can handle wind pretty well without being meat hooks like the max weight Stars. As they beat in, they develop a little turn and then stay in the sweet spot for quite a while before getting understable enough to be more max distance type discs.

Pro's are also pretty nice. They seem to start out a little more overstable than the GStars, but beat in faster.

I have very little experience with Champion. Not too many people seem to love them from what I've seen. The one Champ that I threw very much wasn't really all that great. It had some turn out of the box like a seasoned Star or GStar, but it didn't have nearly as much glide. It would have a nice looking flight, but still not get as much distance as my other Destroyers.

Destroyer throwers...got a question

I'm new to the Destroyer game, but quickly loving them. Currently bag 3: G* (it seems flippy), Color Glow Champ (nice and stable), New Star with the mini stamp (very OS)

Can a few of you give a breakdown of the typical flight paths (OS, US, Neutral, etc) for the various runs/plastics for the Destroyer? I would like to explore more types like Philos, Brinsters, Anthons, etc...just need a little insight into what most people see with their destroyers.

Thanks!

I also am a fan of the Philo run. Love the plastic and the flight is great. Just in the middle as for as destroyers go. A true "just right" IMO. In fact I've heard the new stock embossed run is like that. Only tossed my buddies a couple times, but felt and flew well.

Anthon and AJ runs are just collectors honestly. If you don't have one your already throwing it's not really worth going out of your way. Managed to find a good deal on an 3 line AJ for a good price, but after throwing it I feel the flight isn't unique enough to spend $$ on.

That being said check used bins often. Never know what will pop up in them. I got a couple goodies this year, my friend pulled 7 AJs for $10 each a couple months back. As long as it's not flat topped it should be ok. Big dome on a destroyer means mega OS, and vice versa, so if you keep that in mind you can typically judge relative stability when browsing. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a mini stamp star Destroyer that is a little strange. The rest of the stack had a pretty straight wing like many of the imbossed Destroyers do. This one is really concave with a moderate dome. Looks like it will overstable.

Attachments

• 20171103_081854.jpg
    20171103_081854.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 77
I picked up a mini stamp star Destroyer that is a little strange. The rest of the stack had a pretty straight wing like many of the imbossed Destroyers do. This one is really concave with a moderate dome. Looks like it will overstable.

That's a very strange indentation in the wing. Probably from the way the plastic cooled.

Looks like the PFN's I have. All of them are not that OS. Definately more neutral in destroyer terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard for me to tell from that angle, but all the Destroyers I've owned with very concave wings were also very overstable. It does also depend on PLH though.

Adding to what was said above about different runs:

I have a flat color glow champ Destroyer. There are a few available out there with various stamps; they're all part of the fundraiser programs. Mine has seen some use but not fully beat yet. It is very beefy and has little glide. Great for placing headwind and downhill shots, but really not close to getting regular Destroyer distances because it's so overstable.

Adding to what was said above about different runs:

I have a flat color glow champ Destroyer. There are a few available out there with various stamps; they're all part of the fundraiser programs. Mine has seen some use but not fully beat yet. It is very beefy and has little glide. Great for placing headwind and downhill shots, but really not close to getting regular Destroyer distances because it's so overstable.

For what it's worth, I have a color glow that's not really beady at all. It flies that -2/2 pattern.

Anyone know how many of the champion "pinwheel" stamps were made?
lOJUOy9.jpg

Looking at the 10 years I got, they're almost all the beautiful pop top, classic destro profile. Really excited to cycle one in this next season. Anyone actually thrown one yet?

No, I've got a few 168s and saw at least one store with every weight from 167-175

The newest run of destroyers feel great. Lots of dome and a nice stiff star plastic

Looking at the 10 years I got, they're almost all the beautiful pop top, classic destro profile. Really excited to cycle one in this next season. Anyone actually thrown one yet?

I bought a 10 year a few weeks ago at my local shop, it was my first star destroyer. After a few throws I was noticing much more glide and subsequently more distance than I was getting out of my world's. (Keep in mind that I don't have a big arm at all.) But I'm hooked on these. I got a pop top mini-bot stamp I'm hoping will be a hair more stable, and a 158g Paul stamp I'm hoping will turn a bit then come back.

I bought a 10 year a few weeks ago at my local shop, it was my first star destroyer. After a few throws I was noticing much more glide and subsequently more distance than I was getting out of my world's. (Keep in mind that I don't have a big arm at all.) But I'm hooked on these. I got a pop top mini-bot stamp I'm hoping will be a hair more stable, and a 158g Paul stamp I'm hoping will turn a bit then come back.

A World is WAYYY more overstable than almost any Destroyer I've ever thrown. The World is faster and quite a bit more overstable than a Destroyer.

A World is WAYYY more overstable than almost any Destroyer I've ever thrown. The World is faster and quite a bit more overstable than a Destroyer.

Weird, I find they have a heavier finish for the most part but they are not anywhere near as HSS as a lot of Destroyers. They will definitely turn easier than even a generally overstable Destroyer. Just they are still going super fast as they are fading because they are so wide and shallow. I think that a worked in Destroyer is a longer and more neutral disc, at least for my arm speed.

If you add moderate wind to even a pretty stable seeming World they will drift I find, whereas a stable Destroyer will just push straight.

Latest posts