• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I find Destroyers to be great utility discs and not just for somebody's distance driver. For example, if I need something to skip laterally a county over, I'll grab a Destroyer and let it do its thing. However, I must confess of being part of the crowd that thinks the majority of people don't benefit from tossing anything over speed 9 or an understable speed 10.

But to each their own, if somebody wants to bag a Destroyer, then more power to them.

I find Destroyers to be great utility discs and not just for somebody's distance driver. For example, if I need something to skip laterally a county over, I'll grab a Destroyer and let it do its thing. However, I must confess of being part of the crowd that thinks the majority of people don't benefit from tossing anything over speed 9 or an understable speed 10.

But to each their own, if somebody wants to bag a Destroyer, then more power to them.

Once you get near 400' you start seeing the benefits of Destroyers vs. stuff like Orcs. Anything less than 350' and you probably won't even flatten a Destroyer out at all.

Destroyers definitely aren't for everyone. In fact, they're probably not for most people. That doesn't stop them from being the #1 selling disc on the market though.

Once you get near 400' you start seeing the benefits of Destroyers vs. stuff like Orcs. Anything less than 350' and you probably won't even flatten a Destroyer out at all.

Destroyers definitely aren't for everyone. In fact, they're probably not for most people. That doesn't stop them from being the #1 selling disc on the market though.
People also ignore how destroyers in different plastics can be much more workable. I love my Gstar one, it gets good turn and fades back at the very end of the flight.

People also ignore how destroyers in different plastics can be much more workable. I love my Gstar one, it gets good turn and fades back at the very end of the flight.

I agree. You get guys buying star Destroyers who can't throw over 300'. At 300' you probably shouldn't throw ANY Destroyer, but stars are way beefier than G*, pro, or DX.

Makes you wonder how many guys bought star Destroyers merely because Paul McBeth threw them. Its like guys get tunnel vision and don't even realize that Destroyers come in every plastic available.

Completely agree, with the issue being most people can't get to 400'. Other than myself, I personally only know one or two other people who can grab a driver speed 10 or above and get it to 400'+. I do, however, live in an area where disc golf is barely making it to.

The way marketing/consumer sales typically works is- if it something that people really don't need it will sell:

-fast food, chips, pepsi makes corporations billions. fruit and vegetables certainly less..

-fast stable drivers sell ie destroyer, firebird. stable midranges certainly less..

Anybody try out the new echo destroyers yet?

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132285

Yes. They go real far. Domey with low PLH based on the ones I have from Disc Golf Values.

I love the new echo star destroyers. I have one i've been throwing for a couple of months and it was very straight right out of the box but still had that magical straight stable destroyer extra distance.

The new echo star destroyers have kicked out max weight champ shrykes from my bag for now (I love the champ shryke though so I'll keep my stash for future use).

They are typical newer echo star destroyers though and I know that one won't last a whole season. I've already put in a fresh echo star from disc golf values and begun a cycle.

I really hope these aren't super limited run (which they kind of appear to be), they are actually releasing them in small batches (just this morning there was around 10-15 available but now they are sold out). either way I'm happy echo star destroyers aren't totally extinct and are actually back albeit in limited release.

case in point the new disc golf value echo star release are great workable destroyers. I've had some great success in getting old school beat in hyzerflip to s curve flights even in moderate wind with these guys. when its calm you can get those old school *D/first run/proto flights where it almost acts like an overstable tern of mega distance hyzerflip to S-curve flights.

I love G-Star destroyers but for some reason also avoid buying them even though I've had really good experiences with them especially for those max distance S curve flights but more importantly the hyzerflip to flat straight flights in tighter fairways.

Sounds like some folks have no business throwing a Destroyer no matter the run.

that might be a bit unfair. for those who can't handle a beefy star destroyer you can use it for utility shots like a firebird.

look at the PD2 mold that eagle and simon throw... thats a ridiculously overstable disc that would normally be stupid for mortals to throw, but can be a great utility disc for a lot of golf lines.

I agree. You get guys buying star Destroyers who can't throw over 300'. At 300' you probably shouldn't throw ANY Destroyer, but stars are way beefier than G*, pro, or DX.

Makes you wonder how many guys bought star Destroyers merely because Paul McBeth threw them. Its like guys get tunnel vision and don't even realize that Destroyers come in every plastic available.

i remember a group of older (not really older but now reaching 40's) sponsored players (The Frizzaks) back where I learned how to play in Connecticut who actually built up their distance throwing overstable champ firebirds for field work.

i know there's a lot of issues that could be had from doing that but thats the way they learned and built up their arms for it and its weird because you end up seeing that by learning how to throw distance with such overstable discs in practice they also learned how to throw distance with flippy stuff like beat in rocs/comets/teebirds too. so depending on the conditions they learned the disc angles and throwing planes to throw far wether it be with a flippy leopard or a meathook PD2.

it is kind of impressive to see them just ask what the disc does "what is this? a PD2? overstable? a speed 12 firebird?" and then proceed to throw 400ft with it then quickly throw something flippy like a super beat in 12x teebird just as far.

Disclaimer: they all threw 95% backhand as what most pros did back in the mid-late 90's would do.

that might be a bit unfair. for those who can't handle a beefy star destroyer you can use it for utility shots like a firebird.

look at the PD2 mold that eagle and simon throw... thats a ridiculously overstable disc that would normally be stupid for mortals to throw, but can be a great utility disc for a lot of golf lines.

i remember a group of older (not really older but now reaching 40's) sponsored players (The Frizzaks) back where I learned how to play in Connecticut who actually built up their distance throwing overstable champ firebirds for field work.

i know there's a lot of issues that could be had from doing that but thats the way they learned and built up their arms for it and its weird because you end up seeing that by learning how to throw distance with such overstable discs in practice they also learned how to throw distance with flippy stuff like beat in rocs/comets/teebirds too. so depending on the conditions they learned the disc angles and throwing planes to throw far wether it be with a flippy leopard or a meathook PD2.

it is kind of impressive to see them just ask what the disc does "what is this? a PD2? overstable? a speed 12 firebird?" and then proceed to throw 400ft with it then quickly throw something flippy like a super beat in 12x teebird just as far.

Disclaimer: they all threw 95% backhand as what most pros did back in the mid-late 90's would do.

I find this theory interesting. I'm almost tempted to try it sometime. Go out to the field with 10 various overstable discs (probably Firebirds to Apes or XCals) and just throw those. I reckon I'd be frustrated at first, but after a while would probably learn the right release angles to start gaining distance with overstable stuff.

Usually with field work I tend to throw flippier stuff.

I find this theory interesting. I'm almost tempted to try it sometime. Go out to the field with 10 various overstable discs (probably Firebirds to Apes or XCals) and just throw those. I reckon I'd be frustrated at first, but after a while would probably learn the right release angles to start gaining distance with overstable stuff.

look at Anthon. he's got great power but not otherwordly eagle/simon/mcbeth power but often throws super overstable stuff like excals for distance lines just as well as them but will also throw super flippy stuff for distance because he knows the angles.

More likely, instead of learning the right angles to throw power hyzers, you'll roll your wrist to force anny angle to get more distance. Just like we see most modern amateur discers as they emulate pros disc choices.

look at Anthon. he's got great power but not otherwordly eagle/simon/mcbeth power but often throws super overstable stuff like excals for distance lines just as well as them but will also throw super flippy stuff for distance because he knows the angles.

More likely, instead of learning the right angles to throw power hyzers, you'll roll your wrist to force anny angle to get more distance. Just like we see most modern amateur discers as they emulate pros disc choices.

A few years ago at Worlds (2016?) when Nikko Locastro was in the hunt, he was throwing some nice flex shots with overstable discs for distance. So it's a viable thing to do. It can also be a bad habit by amateurs that have to un-learn those bad habits that can be developed from doing that.

TL;DR: anyone can find use for a Destroyer (even for putting :p ), but that doesn't mean everyone should do so.

A few years ago at Worlds (2016?) when Nikko Locastro was in the hunt, he was throwing some nice flex shots with overstable discs for distance. So it's a viable thing to do. It can also be a bad habit by amateurs that have to un-learn those bad habits that can be developed from doing that.

TL;DR: anyone can find use for a Destroyer (even for putting :p ), but that doesn't mean everyone should do so.

I agree. I'd like to mess around with Firebirds and such in the field, but I also don't want to develop bad habits trying to torque over something really overstable to make it fly on an S curve.

I throw some really overstable stuff on the course, but almost never practice with those discs in the field.

It isn't like I'm going to forget how to throw hyzerflips or something.:D

I agree. I'd like to mess around with Firebirds and such in the field, but I also don't want to develop bad habits trying to torque over something really overstable to make it fly on an S curve.

I throw some really overstable stuff on the course, but almost never practice with those discs in the field.

It isn't like I'm going to forget how to throw hyzerflips or something.:D

I recently took out a bunch of my most overstable discs, the Zone, AvX3, Cro, Rat, Hornet Jennifer Allen Teebird, Exodus, 150g Champ Banshee, 165g Champ Banshee, and Sexton Firebird. I was trying to determine which if any would be best for shorter range shots around obstacles. Should I power down on a Banshee? Or throw a Cro or Hornet a bit harder on a hyzer line? etc. etc.

Unfortunately rain interrupted my testing, but early throws indicated that the harder I threw one of the mids, the straighter it went with less fade. I'm going to do more testing of that (probably sans any Destroyers), and see what maximizes efficiency of my bag.

Anyone throw a heimburg?

For whatever reason I bought a couple. Probably in my head, but the rim feels a tick wider on these than the Rickys I have been throwing. They seem faster too. On the overstable side of the Destroyer spectrum, but they do have some dome and seem to go pretty far despite being overstable. I like the flight and put one in my bag, but it won't be my main destroyer for my arm speed.

For whatever reason I bought a couple. Probably in my head, but the rim feels a tick wider on these than the Rickys I have been throwing. They seem faster too. On the overstable side of the Destroyer spectrum, but they do have some dome and seem to go pretty far despite being overstable. I like the flight and put one in my bag, but it won't be my main destroyer for my arm speed.

I think the discs Innova makes specifically for pros are a tad bit different than stock models. I know I have a few "player's model" discs that don't fly anything like their regular counterparts.

I know if I were an Innova sponsored player I'd want Destroyers that were domier and less overstable than the McBeth ones. Those things are bricks.

Latest posts