• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

If I remember right, Innova began embossing around the beginning of 2018. So more than likely your F2 *ds is a pre-2018 McBeth.

I picked up a embossed star Destroyer that is from an August 2017 tournament.

I have a tournament stamped Star Destroyer from 2016, and I'm wondering if it's an AJ era or McBeth. I don't remember when it switched. I'm also curious if, for example, left over unstamped AJ's received a McBeth stamp. My understanding of the evolution of the Star Destroyer stamp is as follows:
Proto
PFN
AJ 2 line
AJ 3 line
McBeth 4x
Ricky Raptor
Ricky Sockibot
Ricky 2x

Arent there also multiple versions of the AJ 3 line

Arent there also multiple versions of the AJ 3 line

There are at least two variations that I've seen. The domey ones that are pretty OS and the flatter topped kind of flippy ones.

Sorry, I meant stamp variations of the three line

Haha, yeah. Probably that too.

This is off topic but I'm playing in a Winter Wizards event Saturday and the TD is allowing all Wizards to be thrown and I wanted to let you know I'm bringing my ring of Pandas to putt with.

Can anyone list all star destroyers from most flippy to most beefy when new?
I'm talking philos, Anthon, Wiggins, everything

Short answer, no.

It isn't something that you can definitively place in a hierarchy like that. Someone else's experience will be different.

I'll list what I've thrown in order of stability. As mentioned, this will NOT be gospel. Destroyers are known for being inconsistent.

In order from least to most stable....

1: Wysocki Raptor. I've thrown about 5 of them. All were at least somewhat flippy.
2: Proto Star. Flies pretty true to the numbers. Not a ton of late fade. Great glide.
3: PFN. Next model after proto star. A hair beefier. Still very nice. Good dome.
4: Avery Jenkins. Again, not the beefiest star Destroyers I've seen.
5: Wysocki Robot. Starting to get beefy. These are nice.
6: Calvin Heimberg tour series. Good dome, good glide, and fairly beefy. Nice.
7: McBeth star. These tend to be flat and really overstable. Not the greatest glide either.
8: Brinster splatter star. Beefiest star Destroyer I've thrown. Glide was also lacking.

There are a few limited edition star Destroyers I haven't seen or thrown. I think I covered all the main ones though. I also haven't seen any of the Wysocki 2X stamp ones.

AGAIN, people may disagree here. I'm simply posting what I've experienced over the years. I'd say these models rank from 12, 5, -2, 2 to 12, 4, 0, 3. You'll definitely see some variance in Destroyers.

Last edited:
Biggest bricks in Star plastic are the first run ESDS, and Dave's test run of lighter weight stabilized discs in 2011 ish.
These were not marked any different than the regular runs, but you knew as soon as you threw it. Most in the mid 160's weight range.

Biggest bricks in Star plastic are the first run ESDS, and Dave's test run of lighter weight stabilized discs in 2011 ish.
These were not marked any different than the regular runs, but you knew as soon as you threw it. Most in the mid 160's weight range.

I've thrown 2 echo star Destroyers, and found both of them slightly on the flippy side. Granted, these were newer ones. They even had the standard echo star stamp.

E* seems to be flippy plastic in any mold.

I'll list what I've thrown in order of stability. As mentioned, this will NOT be gospel. Destroyers are known for being inconsistent.

In order from least to most stable....

1: Wysocki Raptor. I've thrown about 5 of them. All were at least somewhat flippy.
2: Proto Star. Flies pretty true to the numbers. Not a ton of late fade. Great glide.
3: PFN. Next model after proto star. A hair beefier. Still very nice. Good dome.
4: Avery Jenkins. Again, not the beefiest star Destroyers I've seen.
5: Wysocki Robot. Starting to get beefy. These are nice.
6: Calvin Heimberg tour series. Good dome, good glide, and fairly beefy. Nice.
7: McBeth star. These tend to be flat and really overstable. Not the greatest glide either.
8: Brinster splatter star. Beefiest star Destroyer I've thrown. Glide was also lacking.

There are a few limited edition star Destroyers I haven't seen or thrown. I think I covered all the main ones though. I also haven't seen any of the Wysocki 2X stamp ones.

AGAIN, people may disagree here. I'm simply posting what I've experienced over the years. I'd say these models rank from 12, 5, -2, 2 to 12, 4, 0, 3. You'll definitely see some variance in Destroyers.

How do the McBeths beat in? I have a 7/10 used McBeth Star Destroyer en route. I hope it's not the flat, glideless, and overstable as you describe. I should have read this first. I also have a Ricky Robot that was practiced with extensively in a parking lot. It's understable now (and probably illegal from rim rash). I was hoping to get a legal, stable (not overstable) destroyer.

How do the McBeths beat in? I have a 7/10 used McBeth Star Destroyer en route. I hope it's not the flat, glideless, and overstable as you describe. I should have read this first. I also have a Ricky Robot that was practiced with extensively in a parking lot. It's understable now (and probably illegal from rim rash). I was hoping to get a legal, stable (not overstable) destroyer.

IMO, McBeths beat in super slowly. The plastic is very durable, and the disc will not wear out quickly at all.

MOST McBeth Destroyers I've seen tend to be on the flat side. I actually have a 172g McBeth Destroyer in the bag right now. When I'm throwing well, the disc is fine. On days when I'm not hitting things 100% it feels like a glideless, overstable brick.

If you want a mellower Destroyer that isn't trashed, look for a Wysocki Raptor. Those have some nice turn on them even brand new.

Anyone seen the 2021 Philos? From the pictures I've seen they look like they could be mellow and glidey. Nice healthy dome, flat-ish wing that looks lower, weight around 170-171g (up a few grams from the mid-upper 160s of previous versions.)

The 2017 Philos were like a seasoned Destroyer right away. None of the subsequent versions matched them but IME they're all better than the average stock McBeth ones over the same years.

I have a thrashed Paul 4x and it still verging OS. It's been beat in, thrown a lot and the color has changed from light pink to yellowish but it still can hold up to a hard forehand. Try to find a Ricky Raptor, those were on the less stable side.

I have a thrashed Paul 4x and it still verging OS. It's been beat in, thrown a lot and the color has changed from light pink to yellowish but it still can hold up to a hard forehand. Try to find a Ricky Raptor, those were on the less stable side.

Well, fail on my part, but I learned something. Maybe it will be an anomaly, but that's not how things work for me.

2021 Calvin Heimburg Tour Series Destroyers.

st-halo-destroyer-ch-black.jpg

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/halo-star-destroyer-calvin-heimburg-tour-series.html

Last edited:
I have an orange 171 mcbeth thats about 2 yrs old..took about a year to season..it is nice...it tends to sit in my bag because i forget it..but is always reliable decent distance, and the fade is mellowed...very nice fh too. i played a 2 disc round with it and a champ roc3 and did well...you will have to flex it for a turnover(at least i do)there are many longer destroyers though...get a domey sockibot....theyre great

got a new 175 sockibot ....it was def more astable..really not good bh. for me..but a great fh..glides great...good wind disc bh now...funny I got a 169 and it was turny right out of the box...this isnt

I have an orange 171 mcbeth thats about 2 yrs old..took about a year to season..it is nice...it tends to sit in my bag because i forget it..but is always reliable decent distance, and the fade is mellowed...very nice fh too. i played a 2 disc round with it and a champ roc3 and did well...you will have to flex it for a turnover(at least i do)there are many longer destroyers though...get a domey sockibot....theyre great

Finally got to throw again and... any progress I made on form in my first 6 months went out the window with about 3 weeks of no throwing (besides some putts). The 171g 4x McBeth Destroyer I picked up from the marketplace is not an overstable brick, it's plenty useful. If I can get back into the swing of things (pun intended), it looks promising.

Latest posts