• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Hey Destroyer guys,

Help me choose a Destroyer.

I haven't thrown a destroyer since the first run. At the time, it was too overstable for me - a Nuke or new Wraith is plenty for me to handle (I get decent distance but don't have a huge arm).

But I'm looking for something that is reliable and long in the wind - good distance, not flippy. I usually pull out a Firebird in heavy winds. But in some cases I'm finding I need something longer than a FB.

I've read that S/DS, *D, E*DS, *DS all vary in stability - I want something stable, but I'm not sure the nuances in the molds matters for my arm. Any opinions?

Try a Star Destroyer...they tend to be maybe a hair less over stable than the Champs. I carry both, and I like both, but the Star may be what you're looking for. Pro Destroyer could be good too, but I don't throw one of those. I hear once they get beat in they're much less over stable than the premium plastics.

Try a Star Destroyer...they tend to be maybe a hair less over stable than the Champs. I carry both, and I like both, but the Star may be what you're looking for. Pro Destroyer could be good too, but I don't throw one of those. I hear once they get beat in they're much less over stable than the premium plastics.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a star. Any thoughts about regular star vs. echo star?

So on a whim last week I decided to put a couple Destroyers back in my bag. I had been throwing all Wraiths for drivers but, after working a lot on my form, have been seeing a little turn out of them. So glad I did. Second round with them and I stepped up to a 315' slightly uphill hole into a headwind. 171 champ destroyer = first ace of 2013!! Must have been riding the adrenaline because the next hole is 390' slight downhill and I pulled out my 170 S/DS Destroyer and went 20' past the hole to hit the bird. I never get that hole. I think the Destroyer is staying put for a while now. I will pair it with my beat Wraiths.

The flatter the disc the more OS it will be in general but PLH has a lot to do with it also. What weight to choose is really a person preference. Also how far your throwing can determine if you should even get a certain mold b/c you may not be able to get it up to speed.

I haven't found this to be true with a lot of distance drivers, including Destroyers. The most OS ones I've thrown have been pop-top S/DS, the least OS being flat topped *DS. I also find the same to be true with Orcs, domey ones tend to be more OS while the older, flatter ones can be downright flippy. JME, YYMV...PLH is king.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a star. Any thoughts about regular star vs. echo star?

I used to flick an echo star Destroyer. It was really overstable. Even more so than the champ glo I have. I couldn't throw it for any distance backhand, it was really like a fast firebird for me. It was pretty domey too. But, it went forever with my forehand tosses. FWIW I throw up to 375' backhand and 440' forehand. It really liked the extra power that my forehand generated.

I love E* Destroyers and all I throw for distance shots. I have 4 of them and they range from understable to overstable. If you find a domey one they will be meat hooks. My blue domey one is xcal stable. The flat ones are more like Pro Destroyers then Star or Champ destroyers. They have a little more turn than the other destroyers. If you want a understable E* Destroyer get a tournament stamped one as for some reason they seem to be flatter than the production run and the flatter the less stable they are. When they beat in they are the best long range drivers out there in my opinion.

Grab a pro destroyer, and then get a star when you need a little more stability.

So if I'm coming from a dx destroyer what premium plastic should I go get to to get the same flight pattern

None, a Destroyer in primo plastic will not fly the same as one in DX until it seasons(breaks in) over time. The closest you would get from the get-go is pro plastic, but that is far from premium...

One week into throwing Destroyers. I am convinced it's the only hi speed driver I'll ever need. Great distance and just feels right. 400' is pretty easy to come by and it's controllable. Got my pro D out to 450' today. I'll never need more than that for the courses around here.

I want the Boss gone now too. Way to unpredictable. Give me more Destroyers!

I agree, IMO there is no need for any discs faster than a Destroyer. I've tried the Boss but I just prefer my Destroyers. I can get the Boss 5-10ft farther than my Destroyer but Destroyers are just way more accurate than the Boss for me.