• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I've been playing for a little over a year now and stupidly tried to throw a destroyer early on when I didn't know any better.

Recently I've been doing some trading and switching my bag to mostly Innova from MVP. I traded for a G* destroyer with the intent that I could maybe use it for some flick skip shots here and there and otherwise it would probably just rot in my bag until I got my form sorted out. (I have a good forehand, RHBH needs a lot of work though).

Messing around the other day and I decided to see how I would do with a forehand drive. First throw was easily my longest throw ever, ~400', mostly dead straight with a tiny fade at the end. This coming from someone who previously maxed out at ~360' with a Felon. Holy **** its like the easiest distance I've ever had too. I used it for a few more throws and all were 350+. Its probably not going to be busted out too much still, as I'm still working on my backhand more than anything, but that was cool as hell to know that I"m able to do that every once in a while anyway.

Would the g* or the echo* be more stable?

From my rather small experience of 2 G* and 1 E*, the 2 G* flew out of the box a lot like a really beat-in Star, good amount of turn with some late fade back to center, probably something like -2, 2 or -2, 3. The E* on the other hand was an ultra flippy turd that would only be good for someone throwing about 325 or less. Probably not all E* are that flippy, but the one I got was. :\

It must be a plh thing cuz I have one g* and five e* and the gstar is the flippiest of them all out of the box.

From my rather small experience of 2 G* and 1 E*, the 2 G* flew out of the box a lot like a really beat-in Star, good amount of turn with some late fade back to center, probably something like -2, 2 or -2, 3. The E* on the other hand was an ultra flippy turd that would only be good for someone throwing about 325 or less. Probably not all E* are that flippy, but the one I got was. :\

I've got an E* that is stable as a table. Its funny. Its a destroyer, who the heck knows until you throw it.

Yeah I did say my experience was limited to those 3 discs. Destroyers are all over the place so YMMV. I think checking the PLH is probably a really good idea. I have not yet heard of anyone getting a G* that was very OS though, so I think those mold up consistently less stable than Star.

The recent Echo* runs are on the flippier side. I haven't seen a stable/overstable Echo* since 2013 back when they still had the old stamps.

G* go far out of the box and are less stable than star (like -1/2.5 out of the box compared to lots of star that seem like 0/3)...but what I find is that they are more sensitive to torque and wind as well. If thrown unclean even at 350' they can have enough turn to just end straight ahead after the fade. But I've also thrown mine super clean 425' and it's barely turned, just a nice ride right. Great long distance disc but if you are torquey at all it will be more sensitive than star. I don't have any experience with the newer E*....but just wanted to say that G* Destroyers are awesome for a distance disc that is pretty reliable/won't flip to oblivion like some of the fast/understable discs.

Just wanted to see what people's thoughts are on the newest runs of star destroyers. Do these feel and throw like the good ol' boys?

Just wanted to see what people's thoughts are on the newest runs of star destroyers. Do these feel and throw like the good ol' boys?

If you know what you are looking for when you look at the destroyer then you can find one to suit your every need. The newest run of star plastic is a bit softer then the older run but it is still as good. I currently bag one of the newest runs along with the old ones and its just as good as the old stuff. I know what im looking for when trying to find a good overstable destroyer and was easily able to find it in the newest run.

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but can someone explain or post a picture of the difference between 2 line and 3 line? I'm sure it's obvious but I'm missing it haha.

Note the change in his signature and the way they changed the "2009 World Champion" line.

3 line
Destroyer_Star_Avery_Jenkins_2009_PDGA_World_Champion.jpg

2 line
innova_avery_jenkins_star_destroyer_dark_yellow_stock_1.jpg

actually ... there's two versions of the three-line AJ as well. Older, stiffer and pop-top runs have a large AJ signature that has a line extending out to the second "N" in Jenkins. The one in the picture above is the newer, small-signature run. These are typically either vulcan-topped are super domey, and run in the newer, softer star plastic.

Worst of all, I definitely have a small-sig 3-line AJ that is 100% the older star plastic.

The inconsistency between destroyer runs is a bigger joke than trying to find a "good" wizard.

Subtle differences, but they exist.

the thing is you really have to handle destroyers yourself. i've found stiff pearly star destroyers at sports authority, random dick's sporting goods, and the innova factory store factory seconds (i asked for stiff pearly ones).

you can find stiff domey very overstable high PLH 3 lines, or across any of the newer batches of modern star destroyers.

but I've also seen the semi-gummy-flexy almost G-star destroyers too in the same batch at department stores.

also you may not know it until you try them, but sometimes the flexy semi-G-Star star destroyers may actually be better suited for some players. I know now that I can't handle the beef/overstability of those stiff pearly star destroyers, and prefer the slightly gummier ones because they are bombers out of the box. they may have less HSS, but still can handle big winds great and you don't have to spend months seasoning them (I don't mind seasoning them, but the potential to lose them in the fall/winter/woods is a huge gamble in my experience here in the North East USA).

Its been covered in this thread...search around a bit.

Yeah I'll admit I didn't have the patience to look through 122 pages of comments to find a simple answer to a simple question. Sorry you had to reread a question that's been asked before.

OK thanks. Subtle difference but it sounds like not so subtle in flight.
Well... there is definitely a difference in flight but the stamp really has nothing to do with that. It is just one of the many 'clues' destroyer lovers use to find exactly what they are looking for.

At the end of the day there is no way to know unless you have the disc in your hand and know what you want.

Latest posts