• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

What is the most OS Destroyer I could get right now. I guess the easy answer is a Champion but are the new McBeth Star D's the most OS?

Luster champ on a blind disc, shimmer star if you can pick your disc.

Blind disc? Shimmer star? :confused:
If your buying the disc online or without holding it in your hands first, go with a Luster Champion Destroyer. If you can hold the disc in your hands before you buy it (compare dome, PLH etc) go with a Shimmer Star Destroyer. If you don't know what Shimmer Star is search for it on here (DGCR). Its a "newish" various of Star plastic that's only CFR. I have a Shimmer Destroyer & it looks cool. Issue is they usually come in "earthy" colors.

The easy answer is a 175 Champion. Though it's a toss up between the Star McBeths & the newest run Champs. Both will work for a beefy Destroyer. I guess it just really depends on the individual discs. Either way you won't be disappointed. I wil say the most overstable Destroyers I've gotten in the last six months are two 175 yellow Luster Champions. I may have gotten two weird ones. Definitely more beefy than my McBeths & Champs. I don't have a lot of experience with Luster besides my two Destroyers though.

Those things must be absolute hogs. I've thrown some pretty nasty overstable champions and McBeth stars.

Those things must be absolute hogs. I've thrown some pretty nasty overstable champions and McBeth stars.
I'm not trying to brag but I throw decently far (450'+ with Star Destroyers). My short game needs a lot of work though. I've never found any Destroyers as beefy as my Lusters. I won't even bag one they're so overstable. Definitely more beefy than the overstable McBeths, any bottom stamped Star I've owned, any Champion I've owned & any S/DS I've owned. Some people may like them but I've never found a need for something that beefy. I rarely (if ever) encounter a shot that requires that much speed/overstability.

I'm not trying to brag but I throw decently far (450'+ with Star Destroyers). My short game needs a lot of work though. I've never found any Destroyers as beefy as my Lusters. I won't even bag one they're so overstable. Definitely more beefy than the overstable McBeths, any bottom stamped Star I've owned, any Champion I've owned & any S/DS I've owned. Some people may like them but I've never found a need for something that beefy. I rarely (if ever) encounter a shot that requires that much speed/overstability.

I can get a Destroyer 400' on a good rip. Not those overstable ones though. I generally use a Flick and an XCal for overstable shots. Some of the Destroyers I've thrown are easily more overstable than an XCal. To the point they're almost useless.

Every Champ Destroyer I've ever thrown was beefy. I don't know if those discs come out super beefy or if you just have to break them in. I don't so much mind an overstable disc, but it has to at least glide somewhat and be able to gain decent distance.

Out of curiosity, if you throw a more normal flying Destroyer (that shows some turn) 450+, how far do the really beefy ones like the McBeths go for you? Like 400' or less? Is it still like a "long Firebird" disc for you until they beat in, or do they really wake up when you throw that hard?

Out of curiosity, if you throw a more normal flying Destroyer (that shows some turn) 450+, how far do the really beefy ones like the McBeths go for you? Like 400' or less? Is it still like a "long Firebird" disc for you until they beat in, or do they really wake up when you throw that hard?
I find this to be an intriguing question as well. I had a Nitro that was pure beef, then I handed it to a buddy of mine who throws ~440 FH on an average day and he hyzer-flipped it from a shallow hyzer, an absolute bomb too. Once that extra ~30-40 feet was added it was an entirely different disc. So I think it could be entirely possible that a 4x destroyer could smash with the right arm

If I had to guess I'd say thrown flat I'd still get 400' out of a beefy McBeth. If I throw a flex shot with it I can clear 450'+ though pretty easily. Honestly consistently being able to hit 450 - 475' is a weird distance range. I can put a Teebird around 400' but my Destroyers only go 50' farther. Guys who hit 500'+ consistently is where I bet beefy Destroyers "wake up" as you put it (I'd guess they might even show some turn for them). Though in a decent headwind my beefy McBeths fly like a "normal Destroyer" with some turn before they fade. It's weird when I see guys only throwing 350-400' with Destroyers. They only gain around 25' of distance over their fairway/control drivers. Though I can't knock them for carrying Destroyers at all, on long open holes you should use the disc that gets you the most distance.

If I had to guess I'd say thrown flat I'd still get 400' out of a beefy McBeth. If I throw a flex shot with it I can clear 450'+ though pretty easily. Honestly consistently being able to hit 450 - 475' is a weird distance range. I can put a Teebird around 400' but my Destroyers only go 50' farther. Guys who hit 500'+ consistently is where I bet beefy Destroyers "wake up" as you put it (I'd guess they might even show some turn for them). Though in a decent headwind my beefy McBeths fly like a "normal Destroyer" with some turn before they fade. It's weird when I see guys only throwing 350-400' with Destroyers. They only gain around 25' of distance over their fairway/control drivers. Though I can't knock them for carrying Destroyers at all, on long open holes you should use the disc that gets you the most distance.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm in that 400 range with Destroyers. But they hit low lines and tolerate wind better than Teebirds, but they do only gain me 30-50' typically...but that is pretty significant in disc golf still. As I kind of thought, the farther you throw the fairway/distance driver gap grows, but the beefy Destroyers start getting closer to the more normal ones. For me if I throw a normal Destroyer around 400' then a beefy one will only go ~330' flat, but 360-375' on a flex line. The overstable ones (but not crazy brick OS) are definitely used for hyzers/skips or to ignore the wind, but they only go fairway distances for me. It's good to know with more power they will gain more comparative distance to other discs.

I find this to be an intriguing question as well. I had a Nitro that was pure beef, then I handed it to a buddy of mine who throws ~440 FH on an average day and he hyzer-flipped it from a shallow hyzer, an absolute bomb too. Once that extra ~30-40 feet was added it was an entirely different disc. So I think it could be entirely possible that a 4x destroyer could smash with the right arm
I might just be torque monkey (your friend might be as well) but sidearm seems different to me. I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am) but sidearm throws have less spin than backhand throws. Sidearm seems to need a slightly more overstable disc to perform the same shot backhand. A Destroyer thrown sidearm for me can go a 350'. I've got a friend who throws over 425' sidearm (his backhand is terrible). He can throw a Destroyer sidearm & if I throw the same Destroyer backhand (around the same distance), the disc shows noticeably less turn backhand. Though top pros like Sexton/Big Jerm may have cleaner form so it this becomes a none issue for them. It just seems like a common occurrence with ams.

I might just be torque monkey (your friend might be as well) but sidearm seems different to me. I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am) but sidearm throws have less spin than backhand throws. Sidearm seems to need a slightly more overstable disc to perform the same shot backhand. A Destroyer thrown sidearm for me can go a 350'. I've got a friend who throws over 425' sidearm (his backhand is terrible). He can throw a Destroyer sidearm & if I throw the same Destroyer backhand (around the same distance), the disc shows noticeably less turn backhand. Though top pros like Sexton/Big Jerm may have cleaner form so it this becomes a none issue for them. It just seems like a common occurrence with ams.

I agree, discs are slightly less stable FH. For me a 400' BH throw has the same stability as a 350' FH throw with the same disc, so all my discs have very similar flights both ways. But for top pro's it seems like they throw so much farther backhand than forehand that they actually have to use their less stable BH discs as their FH drivers. It seems like McBeth, Lizotte, Eagle all FH their less stable Destroyers/PD2's.

That may very well be true. This is one of the guys who I hate, he looks so dang effortless when he FH's discs and it goes boom. He doesn't wobble the discs but that would make sense that they act less OS because he beams a Lucid Defender darn near straight for over 400 before it even thinks about fading, and the same disc with my BH is beef stew. He's a baseball player so he picked up FH with ease. His backhand isn't that great though. I will say he can throw understable stuff as well, he loves hyzer-flipping a katana, so I guess they do just act less stable even if they aren't being torqued bad.

I think the longest throw I ever had with a Destroyer was a proto Star that went 450'ish. Very gentle L-R tailwind that kept the disc from fading out. I don't generally equate Destroyers with massive distance. They're capable of it, but I can throw other discs further consistently.

I love the mold though. Not so much the super beefy ones, but there are plenty of good Destroyer variants out there.

If you've ever had a really OS Star Destroyer in your bag for many years (without losing it), then you know they become magical discs.

If you've ever had a really OS Star Destroyer in your bag for many years (without losing it), then you know they become magical discs.

Yeah, mine went from being a joke/utility disc, to the disc that I threw sticks at for 25 minutes when it was stuck in a tree. Then drove to find rocks. Then threw rocks at it for 25 minutes. Got it back but my shoulder was sore for 3 days from throwing rocks straight up in the sky.

I wish it didn't take it 6-12 months to get workable, but it's held it for a year so far. I've only seen it turn once when I forehanded it straight into I'd guess 30MPH wind at full power (maybe more wind...enough my Firebird even drifted). Maybe one day it will turn like that in calm.

What?

What kinds and why?

I appreciate an awesome collection, but it leaves less for me :(

Not sure why, they are one of my favorite discs and I was never able to actually be a collector until about a year and a half ago and just ran with it. Kills me when I see these guys with like 30 Proto star Destroyers in every color though. just when you think your collection is cool, blammo!! But I have a few neat ones ;)

here they are though

Not sure why, they are one of my favorite discs and I was never able to actually be a collector until about a year and a half ago and just ran with it. Kills me when I see these guys with like 30 Proto star Destroyers in every color though. just when you think your collection is cool, blammo!! But I have a few neat ones ;)

here they are though

Good stuff

I hate seeing anyone collect discs that could be flying, but it's not my money and everyone should do what they enjoy.

I'm always paranoid that I'll run out of "good" destroyers some day.