• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

There are currently over 3,300 -named- chess openings and variations. From what I'm seeing, I believe there are more variations of Destroyers than chess openings...

Just sayin', is all...

I picked up a couple blue color glow cfr Destroyers recently. They are pretty soft and grippy. I'm a 400'-420' thrower with Destroyers and these are the longest off the shelf Destroyers I've thrown. They might break in quick but for now they are really nice.

Darn it, you're making me want to pick up one of these off eBay and I SERIOUSLY don't need any more Destroyers. :)

There are currently over 3,300 -named- chess openings and variations. From what I'm seeing, I believe there are more variations of Destroyers than chess openings...

Just sayin', is all...

I've owned and thrown them all. I agree. I still think that proto star Destroyers are the best ever released in that mold.

I've owned and thrown them all. I agree. I still think that proto star Destroyers are the best ever released in that mold.

I own a grand total of three Destroyers: a F2 Star, a Blizzard, and a DX. May one day bag the DX as a wind disc...

I own a grand total of three Destroyers: a F2 Star, a Blizzard, and a DX. May one day bag the DX as a wind disc...

I haven't thrown a DX Destroyer in probably 7 years. Good when brand new, but they beat very fast and get wildly flippy. I used to throw a DX Destroyer as far as anything out right now. Great glide. Blizzard Destroyers are hit or miss. A few are good, but they're all over the place on stability. Frankly I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

Star Destroyers are really where its at. I agree these also have stability inconsistency from disc to disc, but they're the bread and butter of Innova's long range driver lineup. They're by far the most popular driver Innova makes.

Champion Destroyers are beef. Every one of them I've thrown has been pretty damn overstable. They don't glide great either. I'd almost liken them to longer Starfires.

I'm starting to amass a nice little stash of pro destroyers. Was at a local shop yesterday and felt up a couple of nice ones...smooth moderate dome and the plastic felt fairly durable. I'm sure they're made in smaller runs than star or gstars but from what I've seen the pros seem to mold up about the most consistent.

I haven't thrown a DX Destroyer in probably 7 years. Good when brand new, but they beat very fast and get wildly flippy. I used to throw a DX Destroyer as far as anything out right now. Great glide.

Found my DX Destroyer at PIAS for $3... was brand new, though, not a mark of damage or use. I got it thinking that it might beat in more quickly and I could use it once the fade diminished some. My form is only now getting to where I could use the DX Destroyer as my overstable counterpart to my Terns/Destiny. At the same time, a Shryke might end up filling that role.

One thing is for sure... one gets to have a LOT of fun throwing all these different discs! :)

I buy and try lots of drivers. I enjoy doing it. I'm pretty sure I'd be better off carrying nothing but Destroyers in different weights/plastics/wear etc. For all my distance throws.

I buy and try lots of drivers. I enjoy doing it. I'm pretty sure I'd be better off carrying nothing but Destroyers in different weights/plastics/wear etc. For all my distance throws.

I could totally carry nothing but Destroyers for distance drivers. However, I enjoy throwing other drivers too. Plus, some of them are slightly longer than Destroyers.

Make no mistake though, the Destroyer can cover pretty much any driver slot in the bag. Very versatile.

My Sheriff got stolen today, so I figured I may as well pick up two destroyers at the local pro shop... one of them is a really soft and uber grippy star and one of them is just typical star. The grippy one is a 4x *DS and 171 grams and the regular star is the bottom tooled 4x max weight destroyer. Took them out expecting the lighter to be less stable out of the gate because it had a much lower PLH and it was an absolute beefcake, and then I realized there was crazy flashing on it... took the flashing off and holy freakin cow this thing bombs... like glide for days (pop top) and silky smooth out of the hand. Has that awesome late turn that the pros always have in their throws haha. Maxed out a little over 450 with this one. The max weight bottom tooled was overstable, as expected. Didn't get over 400 but it had good glide, just faded out hard. Probably a solid -.5/3 for turn/fade. The other one is probably -1/2. I think I've now made my third distance driver switch in the past two months...

I had a heart attack when I found this at PIAS for $7. Best steal I've ever gotten.

Attachments

• DESTROYER.jpg
    DESTROYER.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 144
What's the deal with Champ Destroyers?

I cannot think of one ITB video I have seen or player I have ran into on the course with one.

Are they glidless turds? Too OS?

Thoughts?

They vary just like star Destroyers. I've thrown some champs that beat into beautiful bombers.

I personally prefer star plastic over champ so that's what I throw. Champ is a bit too slick for me.

I cannot think of one ITB video I have seen or player I have ran into on the course with one.

Thoughts?

I've owned a couple Champ Destroyers. One was flat with high PLH and patent numbers, and it was a meat hook. The other was a JL pop top I got from the factory store. It had actually had a really nice flight with a little wiggle of turn and a solid fade. However, when I threw it next to Star/GStar/Pro Destroyers of similar stability, it would be shorter than the others. I guess it must have lacked the glide the other plastics had even though it was a similar stability. I would hazard a guess that if I had kept throwing it and beat it in a bit it would have developed more glide. It just would have probably taken forever to do so. :)

Thoughts?
I know in an old ITB video on SpinTV with Jared Roan he has a beat up Champion Destroyer in his bag along with a few Stars. I bag two Champs & five Star Destroyers. I only throw the Champs sidearm & only throw the Stars backhand. I play enough that if I sidearm & backhand my Star Destroyers they beat up quicker than I'd like. I have one overstable Champ & an understable Champ. The understable one is great for hyzer flips & high hyzer shots. The Champs vary in stability like Stars. Though the last couple years Champs have been consistently overstable when new. They do have less glide than Stars but they seem to get more glide with age.

They vary just like star Destroyers. I've thrown some champs that beat into beautiful bombers.

I personally prefer star plastic over champ so that's what I throw. Champ is a bit too slick for me.

I've thrown a couple champ Destroyers. Not really my cup of tea. They're just glideless pigs. Almost like longer, faster Starfires.

I much prefer star Destroyers.

Someone throws champs though. I find them in lakes fairly regularly. They aren't rare.

For max distance I need nothing else! Star destroyers for more finish and a Pro destroyer for big bombers!

Thanks for all the responses.

I throw a couple Pros for max D and a couple Stars for stuff I want a reliable finish. My last bookend S/DS has beat in to the point that it isn't quite holding down my max OS distance driver spot. Spitballing...

Just never really have noticed anything about Champ Destroyers. People go crazy for CLine PD2s, but seemingly no love for the Champ Destro.