• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I see both sides of the argument. Destroyers are great drivers and would (theoretically) sell well no matter how hard Innova pushed them or whose signature was on the disc. However, DG'ers are an often fickle group. They seem to want to buy discs based on marketing hype and certain pros throwing them. Plus, many star Destroyers seem to be bought for collector reasons, hence all the sniping about the new stamp.

What I think is interesting is the recent (and rampant) hype around Discraft. Suddenly Forces and Buzzzes are super hot commodities. Paul really is a big name in DG. Wherever he goes, success in disc marketing/sales will follow.

What will be interesting to see in the future is how many people threw Destroyers simply because Paul McBeth did, vs. how many people throw them because they really like the mold and get good use out of it.

I'm no expert on market trends, but I'd assume that star Destroyer sales will remain fairly steady in the future. The mold is well established and thrown by many, many good players. I can't see tons of guys abandoning the Destroyer simply because Paul switched brands. That said, there will be an immediate uptick in interest in Discraft molds. Especially the new molds they've just come out with per Mcbeth's desires.

I agree with all that you said. The destroyer was huge before it had Paul's name on it, and will stay huge now. It's one of the best discs to come out in the last 15 years. When you combine Paul's name with a legendary disc, it will definitely sell. The buzzz fits that same category, in my opinion. People argued buzzz vs roc for years before Paul's name was on the roc(3), and now his name is on the other end of that argument. We'll see how that goes. Even though I think he might end up with the wasp in the end. With Paul now throwing the force(which for all intense and porpoises is a destroyer copy) it will definitely gain popularity, but I don't think it will unseat the destroyer. We'll see.

IMO the destroyer is the best distance driver in the game and the sales will remain high no matter what. All I'm saying is Innova should be pushing the Ricky signing more and if this is all there is then it's a complete missed opportunity.

I agree with all that you said. The destroyer was huge before it had Paul's name on it, and will stay huge now. It's one of the best discs to come out in the last 15 years. When you combine Paul's name with a legendary disc, it will definitely sell. The buzzz fits that same category, in my opinion. People argued buzzz vs roc for years before Paul's name was on the roc(3), and now his name is on the other end of that argument. We'll see how that goes. Even though I think he might end up with the wasp in the end. With Paul now throwing the force(which for all intense and porpoises is a destroyer copy) it will definitely gain popularity, but I don't think it will unseat the destroyer. We'll see.

The Force flies different enough from the Destroyer that I doubt the two will take away from each other's market share. There is evidence that Discraft is going to release another high speed driver that will likely resemble the Destroyer more, and that'st he one we'll have to watch.

I agree with all that you said. The destroyer was huge before it had Paul's name on it, and will stay huge now. It's one of the best discs to come out in the last 15 years. When you combine Paul's name with a legendary disc, it will definitely sell. The buzzz fits that same category, in my opinion. People argued buzzz vs roc for years before Paul's name was on the roc(3), and now his name is on the other end of that argument. We'll see how that goes. Even though I think he might end up with the wasp in the end. With Paul now throwing the force(which for all intents and purposes is a destroyer copy) it will definitely gain popularity, but I don't think it will unseat the destroyer. We'll see.

On this point I somewhat disagree. Forces aren't really like Destroyers. They're slightly slower and have a deeper rim. They also tend to be more overstable. I personally can't throw a Force like I can a Destroyer. I'd use the Force more like I'd use an XCal. Overstable wind fighter, but not for sheer distance.

Discraft is coming out with the Kong, which is supposed to be something closer to a Destroyer. Paul will find use for the Force, but probably not strictly as a Destroyer replacement.

On this point I somewhat disagree. Forces aren't really like Destroyers. They're slightly slower and have a deeper rim. They also tend to be more overstable. I personally can't throw a Force like I can a Destroyer. I'd use the Force more like I'd use an XCal. Overstable wind fighter, but not for sheer distance.

Discraft is coming out with the Kong, which is supposed to be something closer to a Destroyer. Paul will find use for the Force, but probably not strictly as a Destroyer replacement.

Correct my comparison, fine, but how dare you correct my spelling.

(I have actually never thrown a force, I thought it was discrafts answer to the destroyer back in the day.)

Last edited:

(I have actually never thrown a force, I thought it was discrafts answer to the destroyer back in the day.)

I definitely feel like Discraft made the Force as an answer to the Destroyer. The timing for its release was hardly coincidental. However, even a decade or so ago I felt like they were distinctly different drivers, to be used for different purposes. I won't say I dislike the Force, but I've never found it as useful on the course. Who knows, maybe I've just thrown the wrong Forces. I always find them beefy and noticeably shorter than a Destroyer. I can't really get a Force to bomb flat for any distance. I'd almost bet money that even Paul McBeth won't use Forces as his go-to distance driver. They simply won't go as far as a Destroyer.

IMO the destroyer is the best distance driver in the game and the sales will remain high no matter what. All I'm saying is Innova should be pushing the Ricky signing more and if this is all there is then it's a complete missed opportunity.

What will be interesting to see in the future is how many people threw Destroyers simply because Paul McBeth did, vs. how many people throw them because they really like the mold and get good use out of it.

I'm no expert on market trends, but I'd assume that star Destroyer sales will remain fairly steady in the future. The mold is well established and thrown by many, many good players. I can't see tons of guys abandoning the Destroyer simply because Paul switched brands.

Yes, the Destroyer is possibly and arguably the ultimate high speed distance driver out there, It is the perfect combination of speed, glide, turn and fade, especially for pro players, but also for most casual/amateur pleyers. There are very few Innova pros that don't bag at least one (even Lisa Fajkus in her recent ITB had one). And even noodle-armed me carries a light wt. Pro Destroyer to throw into hurricanes coming my way on the course. :) :thmbup:

So yes, the Destroyer will continue to sell well, and Wysocki worshippers will rush to buy them even as McBeth disciples continue to use Destroyers.

Last edited:

"for all intense and porpoises" might be one of the best auto-corrects I've ever seen. It made me laugh for sure. It shouldn't be corrected because it was perfect. :)

I find it strange that the new Destroyers are being defended so vehemently. Reviews are coming in saying that they're way flippier than the older discs, and the wing shape is *completely* different. It's not even a Destroyer anymore, it's just another Innova disc with a raptor stamp on it.

I used to throw the Destroyer. But this kind of thing is why I don't anymore.

I find it strange that the new Destroyers are being defended so vehemently. Reviews are coming in saying that they're way flippier than the older discs, and the wing shape is *completely* different. It's not even a Destroyer anymore, it's just another Innova disc with a raptor stamp on it.

I used to throw the Destroyer. But this kind of thing is why I don't anymore.

I base most of my Destroyer observations on McBeth ones. I've thrown several of them lately. Other than that I also throw a proto first run star. The proto star is flippier than any McBeth I own.

I'll be curious to see how the Wysocki Destroyers compare.

I didn't see ANY flippy McBeths. Probably thrown 10 or more of them. They're on the beefy side for sure. Even a 150g star McBeth is overstable enough to take full rips without flipping.

When you run Destroyers in the thousands, you're bound to get some variance.

This is just another chapter in Destroyer history.

Nothing wrong with a flippy Destroyer out of the box.

The next run will probably be dumb OS again.

Casey, I get the feeling you need glasses, or another class in comprehension.

No, the Champion is the only run of premium and non DX plastic Destoyer that does not command money, even the DX if Bottom stamped or a specific run can fetch in $20 range. In most other Innova discs, with some exceptions, the Champion version of a mold if they make or made the disc in that plastic is valuable to players in some form even if it was an older run.

Last edited:
Saw a new Star Destroyer with a convex bottom wing. Never seen that before... only concave or straight. How common is a convex bottom wing?

Saw a new Star Destroyer with a convex bottom wing. Never seen that before... only concave or straight. How common is a convex bottom wing?

New oops from Innova as the disc should have a Convex rim. Innova just mass produced the molds that had the last 4X McBeth on them to keep collectors happy but unhappy as those disc came out funny and from what others are saying the New Rick Stamps are the same 4x McBeth run, just were unstamped until Ricky picked out his discs.

New oops from Innova as the disc should have a Convex rim. Innova just mass produced the molds that had the last 4X McBeth on them to keep collectors happy but unhappy as those disc came out funny and from what others are saying the New Rick Stamps are the same 4x McBeth run, just were unstamped until Ricky picked out his discs.

Picked up a 170 Ricky Destroyer this weekend and it is definitely not the same run as the 4x Mcbeth. The plastic has a tackier and firmer feel to it and the -1 turn is actually apparent compared to some of the 166 - 170 4x Destroyers I have thrown.

My new Wysocki Destroyer just came in. The bottom is definitely a new mold piece (not saying it is shaped differently, just a new mold piece). It no longer has the patent numbers scraped off and just says Made in USA where they used to be. None of my McBeths (even embossed) have that.

My new Wysocki Destroyer just came in. The bottom is definitely a new mold piece (not saying it is shaped differently, just a new mold piece). It no longer has the patent numbers scraped off and just says Made in USA where they used to be. None of my McBeths (even embossed) have that.

Thank you. That is informative.
This may explain why the wings on the Wysocki Star Destroyers can look different (some are the new mold, and some not perhaps).

C'mon Innova, it's the biggest release of the year. And you f***ed it up.

Not mine, from reddit:
862s7vykso921.jpg

Just to follow up, my Wysocki Destroyer is 168g and has the same convex wing as the lighter one in these pictures. Can anyone confirm that all of the convex wings are tooled with Made in USA? That seems to be the theory on the facebook forums.

As a side note, this Destroyer bombs but is like throwing a new mold, fits right in between my McBeth Destroyers and Shrykes. Has some turn but the fade is much more mild than any Destroyer I've thrown (other than one with a lot of seasoning). Seems like a Destroyer-L just like SD86 said

Last edited:
I have 9 of the new Wysocki Star Destroyers.

They are :
2 light green 175g old tooling (none of these old tooling discs have MADE IN U.S.A.)
2 dark pink 175g old tooling
1 orange/yellow 170g old tooling
1 light yellow 169g new tooling (all of my new tooling discs have MADE IN U.S.A.)
1 light pink 169g new tooling
2 light green 168g new tooling

Holding them up to the light, I guess that the new tooling discs do seem to have wings that look and feel straighter, rather than a bit concave like the older tooling. The max weight ones seem to have the most concave wing, but they also have a bit of flashing on the bottom, so that might be contributing to that feel.

Latest posts