• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

a few times so far. nice feeling plastic & stable. i like it a lot.
had to post a pic, it's a beut
attachment.php

Attachments

• destroyer_20221013-091534.jpg
    destroyer_20221013-091534.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 309
had to post a pic, it's a beut

I picked up 3: a red, a pink (looks just like yours), and a blue. Comparing them side by side, the pink has the highest, most concave wing so I expect that's the most overstable. The blue is in the middle, and the red looks like a bomber. I might throw the red. I'm partial to red drivers and since I'm old now the pink would probably be a meat hook for me for quite a long time lol.

I threw both for a little while.

Threw Wraiths for straighter, control distance that I didn't want a big finish or turnover distance lines.

Destroyers for max D, FH, skips, flexs, etc.

Dropped the Wraith because I could do similar things with beat PDs and keep the mold count lower

Do any of you throw Destroyers and Wraiths in the bag? If so, hope do you use them differently?

Wraith is my main go to driver for getting as much distance as I can WITH as much control as I can.
Rather OS Destroyer is bagged for when I need to throw a disc very hard and fast and get left a lot or skip left a lot. When I catch this OS Des right I can get maybe 200' of flat flight before It fades hard. IF I throw if with any hyzer, its fading from the start it seems. Twas a test run...its like a speed 12 firebird lol

Do any of you throw Destroyers and Wraiths in the bag? If so, hope do you use them differently?

Yes and I think they complement each other very well, actually. I would say I'm forehand dominant (or at least I get more distance forehand) so they do different things for me.

Wraiths for most backhand shots and some controlled forehands that I need to have very little fade. Most shots in the 300-350' range.

Destroyers for some backhands (need to finish left, jump in stability over my Wraiths) and basically every forehand shot that I need a disc longer than a Firebird. Power hyzers, pure distance, long turnovers--all various stability Destroyers for me. 325' to max (about 425').

So at what weight do Star Destroyers loose the blizzard rims?

I used to throw 167-172g Stars and it seems like all the ones in that range have blizzard rims now.

I have seen it on all weights. I remember someone that knows a lot more about injection molding describe it as "shearing". Basically it is a flaw in their production. They fly great for me though.

So at what weight do Star Destroyers loose the blizzard rims?

I used to throw 167-172g Stars and it seems like all the ones in that range have blizzard rims now.

It seems to depend more on the run than the weight. Wysocki Raptor Destroyers were the first ones I saw that consistently had blizzard rims. Some of the newer Sockibot ones do too.

I saw some brand new Destroyers at Dick's a couple weeks ago (no signature), and they looked fine. No blizzard rims.

Blizzard rim Destroyers don't necessarily fly badly, but I don't like them. They have a cheap look/feel to them.

It seems to depend more on the run than the weight. Wysocki Raptor Destroyers were the first ones I saw that consistently had blizzard rims. Some of the newer Sockibot ones do too.

I saw some brand new Destroyers at Dick's a couple weeks ago (no signature), and they looked fine. No blizzard rims.

Blizzard rim Destroyers don't necessarily fly badly, but I don't like them. They have a cheap look/feel to them.

I second this, and will add that it's been happening since forever. I had some old S/DS marked F2's back in the day with Blizzard rims (before Blizzard even existed). And those were super beefy, so it doesn't necessarily mean they will be flippy either.

I started notice them on Star Shryke rims a few years ago and have shied away from buying them sight unseen. Even got a Leopard3 earlier this year that had the sheening. Looks like it would be low durability.

I second this, and will add that it's been happening since forever. I had some old S/DS marked F2's back in the day with Blizzard rims (before Blizzard even existed). And those were super beefy, so it doesn't necessarily mean they will be flippy either.

Most of the blizzardy rim Destroyers I've thrown have been on the flippy side.

I did try a good McBeth 150g Destroyer once that had a blizzard rim. The disc surprised me with how overstable it was. Despite being really light it withstood full power rips easily.

I've never been a fan of blizzard plastic. Blizzard Bosses and Katanas just aren't worth the trouble.

I started notice them on Star Shryke rims a few years ago and have shied away from buying them sight unseen. Even got a Leopard3 earlier this year that had the sheening. Looks like it would be low durability.

IDK what Innova's doing with Shrykes lately, but I've been seeing a lot of lousy ones. G* and regular star. They seem super flat, cheap, and blizzardy. They're also really understable.

When the Shryke first came out I didn't see any that looked blizzardy.

Innova needs to keep the blizzard stuff out of their normal discs.

Certainly there have been some Destroyer runs the past couple years that were pretty cheap feeling but the Halo and Swirly star ones seem to be pretty good overall (at/near max weight). I wonder if it has anything to do with Innova's Halo process requiring changes to the molds or injection molding machine configuration.

Could also see some of the supply chain issues/increased costs forcing Innova to cheapen the Star plastic blends or be more tolerant of whatever plastic pellets they could source the last couple years.

Mostly I think the blizzard-like silver streaks/plastic splay is coming from the plastic pellets being rushed through and not properly de-humidified or the machines not being calibrated to meet the crazy demand. Maybe with demand being met they will slow down production a bit to increase quality and attempt to correct the molding issues. Probably some back stock/blanks remaining for the current batches so it may be a bit before we see any improvement.

I don't see Destroyers flying off the shelves as much as in the past (McBeth signature era) now that there are a lot of similar or more AM friendly molds from other manufacturers with greater consistency.

Innova did just release a new stock art for the Star Destroyer https://discgolfunited.com/2023-star-destroyer.html

Attachments

• 2023Destroyer.jpg
    2023Destroyer.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts