• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

The 23 Philo appears to have a flat wing. I was surprised at how "easily" I could throw it. I've used it for maybe a week now and I want to say that it is giving me more distance than the Raider. Likely just a hair easier to flip up. Definitely longer on an anhyzer throw.

How do prior versions of Philo Destroyers compare?
Is there a more understable version?

Those sound similar to the 2017 Philo Destroyers that I have: flat wing, easier to throw. I tried a couple other years' versions and none were quite like the 2017s, so these 2023 editions sound interesting.

Those sound similar to the 2017 Philo Destroyers that I have: flat wing, easier to throw. I tried a couple other years' versions and none were quite like the 2017s, so these 2023 editions sound interesting.

could you post a pic of the '17?

so I know what they look like and could possibly try to search one out

could you post a pic of the '17?

so I know what they look like and could possibly try to search one out

They look like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621-195714.jpg
    Screenshot_20230621-195714.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 251
Anybody else grab some $4 F2 destroyers? I got a small stack of <155g. I've always been curious about them and figured $4 wasn't a bad entry point.

Anybody else grab some $4 F2 destroyers? I got a small stack of <155g. I've always been curious about them and figured $4 wasn't a bad entry point.

Yeah I grabbed one and an F2 Teebird, hoping they are stable colors I'm trying to learn.

150-155g destroyers are my secret weapons. i use my 150 as a fairway driver, you can power it straight and theyre more forgiving than most fairways but more stable than most of the longer fairways. i usually have a 155-160g destroyer and go between the 2, lately the 150 has been working well.

150-155g destroyers are my secret weapons. i use my 150 as a fairway driver, you can power it straight and theyre more forgiving than most fairways but more stable than most of the longer fairways. i usually have a 155-160g destroyer and go between the 2, lately the 150 has been working well.

150ish star Destroyers aren't as flippy as anyone thinks. That said, when you actually get them turned with some height they'll bomb as far as anything out there.

I figure they're good for 40' extra compared to their heavier counterparts.

its funny too when you out drive everyone, you tell your friends, hey these light ones go further, but either they dont know or they do and just refuse to throw them because they think theyre for beginners and/or maybe they think women use lighter weights.

Ive converted a few but i feel like if you are playing on longer courses, if your generally at +-300 feet, i feel like you need all the distance you can get, and with the right light weight run you can def get 40-50' extra feet. Which is def good for a stroke or 2, if i can just nail 2-4 long drives out of say 8-10 +400 ft holes

its funny too when you out drive everyone, you tell your friends, hey these light ones go further, but either they dont know or they do and just refuse to throw them because they think theyre for beginners and/or maybe they think women use lighter weights.

Ive converted a few but i feel like if you are playing on longer courses, if your generally at +-300 feet, i feel like you need all the distance you can get, and with the right light weight run you can def get 40-50' extra feet. Which is def good for a stroke or 2, if i can just nail 2-4 long drives out of say 8-10 +400 ft holes

As long as the stability is there lighter discs offer effortless free distance. I have seen a few 130ish gram destroyers and I'm tempted to try them just for tailwind shenanigans. To that same point, if you throw 450s with max weight, lighter discs in tailwind can add 100 easily.

As long as the stability is there lighter discs offer effortless free distance. I have seen a few 130ish gram destroyers and I'm tempted to try them just for tailwind shenanigans. To that same point, if you throw 450s with max weight, lighter discs in tailwind can add 100 easily.

I grabbed from 130-155, one in each range. I'll definitely report back.

Last week I received four Destroyers under 155g. The weights are 150g, 147g (penned *DS and .com tooling the rest are embossed), 140g, and 137g.

I'm sold on lightweight Destroyers. Playing the wind right and these hit 450' with what would be a full pull with a putter. I was reaching baskets I hadn't gotten near in years. (Work has me playing less these past few years). However, with them being lighter any error in form or nose angle is exacerbated to new extremes. Slight nose angle up, the disc is going straight up into the sky. A little too much anyhyzer and you've got yourself a roller. Hyzer flipping is loads of fun you can get a -3/3 flight that bombs.

Of the four, the 140g is my favorite as it retains some stability relative to the others. The bubbles on the wing aren't as bad as I was expecting. However, the inside rim all have molding issues.

looking to get into destroyers after falling in love with emperors and wanting just a hair more stability.

There are some with a very mild dome (not flat, just a mild dome) and some with a bit of a pop top. For a moment if you assume the same overall stability, how do they compare as far as overall glide/distance potential and relative turn/fade? Are the pop tops more likely to take up more left and right movement while ending up in the same spot, or are they a bit straighter overall/straighter both ways?

Thanks so much!

looking to get into destroyers after falling in love with emperors and wanting just a hair more stability.

There are some with a very mild dome (not flat, just a mild dome) and some with a bit of a pop top. For a moment if you assume the same overall stability, how do they compare as far as overall glide/distance potential and relative turn/fade? Are the pop tops more likely to take up more left and right movement while ending up in the same spot, or are they a bit straighter overall/straighter both ways?

Thanks so much!

IMO Destroyers with dome are what you want. They aren't necessarily less stable than their flat counterparts, but they glide better and tend to be longer overall. Flat Destroyers are more like XCalibers. Beefy to the max.

Take a look at DD3/Cloudbreakers as well. Very similar to Destroyers, and just as good.

IMO Destroyers with dome are what you want. They aren't necessarily less stable than their flat counterparts, but they glide better and tend to be longer overall. Flat Destroyers are more like XCalibers. Beefy to the max.

Take a look at DD3/Cloudbreakers as well. Very similar to Destroyers, and just as good.
Gotcha! Are the pop top ones better in your experience than the subtle dome ones? Looking at these two types on infinite. I have one of the more domey ones but I think the slightly less domey one might feel better for my forehand grip.

Attachments

• IMG_4892.jpeg
    IMG_4892.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 0
Innova $5 flash sale going on right now - $5 F2 discs. The Destroyers only have 165-169g or heavier, but there are still Champion Bosses in a bunch of lighter weights. Boss a little faster and more stable than Destroyer, and probably especially in Champion plastic, but if that is something of interest, the price is pretty hard to beat! They did a $4 flash sale a little while back, and if it is anything like that was, they will run out of all discs fast. From last night to this morning, it seems like there are about 5 different discs that are already gone.

Gotcha! Are the pop top ones better in your experience than the subtle dome ones? Looking at these two types on infinite. I have one of the more domey ones but I think the slightly less domey one might feel better for my forehand grip.

Well, if you can afford to buy both a domey and somewhat flat one, do so. You probably will notice slight differences in flight. Who knows, for forehand the flatter one might actually be better. I mainly throw backhand, so I don't like flat discs as much.

I've never really found a flat Destroyer I like. It's to the point where I can pick a disc up, get a feel for it and know immediately whether I even want to throw it or not.

Some of the McBeth Destroyers were really flat. Ruthlessly overstable. I figure unless you have a top 1% arm those aren't going to turn even a smidge.

Some of the McBeth Destroyers were really flat. Ruthlessly overstable. I figure unless you have a top 1% arm those aren't going to turn even a smidge.

I have one of these. It is max weight, stiff and extremely flat. It is by far the most stable high speed driver I own. I don't regularly bag it because I don't want it to wear in much - I keep it in the trunk and pull it out on days when the wind is up over 15 mph + especially on open windy courses. It goes left no matter what. I can crank over on it as hard as I can, in a stiff headwind, and it will fight right out and hyzer out. Great utility disc too for forehand roller shots. Really wish I had a couple more, I'd bag the current one and keep an extra for this one's place.

Truly a disc meant for the 4 time champ at the time, as 2015 era McBeth had quite the cannon on him.

I'm sold on lightweight Destroyers. Playing the wind right and these hit 450' with what would be a full pull with a putter. I was reaching baskets I hadn't gotten near in years. (Work has me playing less these past few years). However, with them being lighter any error in form or nose angle is exacerbated to new extremes. Slight nose angle up, the disc is going straight up into the sky. A little too much anyhyzer and you've got yourself a roller. Hyzer flipping is loads of fun you can get a -3/3 flight that bombs.

Me too. I have 2 Blizzard Destroyers, both around 158ish, and man do they bomb. The domey one is the one I use, it's softer/gummier and a pretty straight flier with a light finish, I'd call it a 12/5/-2/2. The other one is really flat and very stiff. As you can imagine, it's very overstable, and flies like a new heavier champ Destroyer.

Last edited:
Sorry for being lazy and not reading.

I presume the couple Gstars I purchased will be a good bit less overstable than a "normal Destroyer" correct? I bag Xcals and Terns, figured it would be a good centerpiece.

Never fully clicked with a Destroyer in the past but it has been some time...

Latest posts