• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deterents for skipping PDGA tournaments due to ______...

Oh wait, there was the guy who played with his sugar mama. He was twenty something, and she was sixty something. I kid you not. That was weird. Convinced me to never play intermediate again.

There have been some instances of people in tournaments that I can't stand but I've found that having a rules junkie on my card makes my round go much smoother. The people I hate are those that smoke weed durimg the round. I'm ok with drinking but not smoking. Drinking doesn't mess with my senses but smoking, especially weed messes with me. In league there have been some guys but they have been told not to come back. One was a guy who thought that it was his way or the highway and the other was an arrogant MPO player that was a rules junkie and would get you on anything and everything.

Is this much different than any other social activity? Jobs, parties, volunteer organizations, casual-play sports, competitions---with limited personal time, and freedom to choose, we go where we will enjoy the company, tolerate some people if the overall activity and rest of the company are worthwhile, or avoid them when they aren't.

Much different and I am one of the most tolerate people around. Only about 10% of my close friends play dg which is not typical for many golfers I know so I am not around the sport constantly like others. Having friends, a social life and professional career outside dg exposes me to lots of different people with different interests (Not to say I do not deal with challenging people as well but much less in life outside of golf) who have more to talk about than the latest release from Innova or what tag # they have (aka, disc golf guy). From my past life many moons ago, I only remember one guy from surfing similar to "disc golf guy" that used to drive me crazy in my late teens and early twenties. No matter where we were, he seemed to seek me and a several others out when we were socializing with others in public (not discussing anything to do with surfing and mainly when we were talking with girls) to discuss his latest surfing adventure and why he was never invited to hang out or travel with others. He was "that guy" before the term was coined.

My biggest peeve are those that think they know the rules and don't. Ill informed rules Nazis. I run a number of the tournaments around here so get to shut down a lot of these early but god I hate that about sanctioned play there is always the guy that is looking for things in the rules to take strokes off someone, normally with a bizarre or flatout incorrect take on a straightforward issue. Grrr. I have had a number of people really upset in tournaments recently by someone calling incorrect rules on them during rounds that I've had to deal with after the event.

If you don't know the rule, check.
If you think you know the rule, still check.
If you know the rule 100% and are absolutely convinced you are right, still check, you're probably wrong.

And if something is called on you and it sounds like crap, play a provisional, don't be bullied!

i want the rules to be followed correctly, and I want infringements to be called, but before you call one be damned sure you know the rule you're calling!!

There have been some instances of people in tournaments that I can't stand but I've found that having a rules junkie on my card makes my round go much smoother. The people I hate are those that smoke weed durimg the round. I'm ok with drinking but not smoking. Drinking doesn't mess with my senses but smoking, especially weed messes with me. In league there have been some guys but they have been told not to come back. One was a guy who thought that it was his way or the highway and the other was an arrogant MPO player that was a rules junkie and would get you on anything and everything.
Hypocrite... You know what messes with my senses? Seeing hundreds of bud light cans in the weeds...

Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I'm with MTL in being surprised that the bad elements ("mooches", newbs who don't know the rules, obnoxious folks, etc) are at the sanctioned but not present at the non-sanctioned tournaments. I feel the opposite is the case in my experience...stuff like that seems to be more prevalent at non-sanctioned tourneys than at sanctioned. Not to say it's completely lacking with sanctioning, it's just far less.

Then again, it could be just be a matter of taste. If what you desire in a tournament experience is at the non-sanctioned tournaments, then that's probably where you want to be. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this. Though playing non sanctioned events should carry the expectation of these differences. Agree again, it is a matter of taste.

I don't get this line of thought. If it is OK with me, it is OK for all? If neither drinking, nor smoking is allowed, you should be tolerant of both or neither.

My biggest peeve are those that think they know the rules and don't. Ill informed rules Nazis. I run a number of the tournaments around here so get to shut down a lot of these early but god I hate that about sanctioned play there is always the guy that is looking for things in the rules to take strokes off someone, normally with a bizarre or flatout incorrect take on a straightforward issue. Grrr. I have had a number of people really upset in tournaments recently by someone calling incorrect rules on them during rounds that I've had to deal with after the event.

If you know the rule 100% and are absolutely convinced you are right, still check, you're probably wrong.

And if something is called on you and it sounds like crap, play a provisional, don't be bullied!

i want the rules to be followed correctly, and I want infringements to be called, but before you call one be damned sure you know the rule you're calling!!

Good post.

Agreed, there is a guy I have been paired with over the years that occasionally gets so irritated when the card does not agree with rules he thinks are applicable which has frustrated me. Honestly, I have only gone off on one player ever in a tournament round (it was funny to see my cardmates reactions because I am pretty low key on the course) and I would never go off on the guy I referenced as I feel he may snap.

I've considered stopping intermediate play because I can't handle the guys who think we're playing Open. I'm a competitive guy, but I can't take playing intermediate THAT seriously. I understand it at the Advanced level (sort of) and definitely at the Open level, but we're out there getting beat by 14 year olds sometimes lol, I mean how seriously can you take that?

Not to mention the second you start winning tournaments in intermediate you hear the whispers of "sandbagging" even though you're an 860 player that still griplocks like a mother and are lucky to be better than 50/50 15-30' out.

I'm looking for friendly competition with a general understanding and respect for the rules but I don't care if guys flip discs if they forgot a mini or step a little over their disc line on a mid-range run up. Blatant cheating to gain an advantage isn't cool, but quibbling over minute details in intermediate is way less cool to me.

Is this much different than any other social activity? Jobs, parties, volunteer organizations, casual-play sports, competitions---with limited personal time, and freedom to choose, we go where we will enjoy the company, tolerate some people if the overall activity and rest of the company are worthwhile, or avoid them when they aren't.

Much different and I am one of the most tolerate people around. Only about 10% of my close friends play dg which is not typical for many golfers I know so I am not around the sport constantly like others. Having friends, a social life and professional career outside dg exposes me to lots of different people with different interests (Not to say I do not deal with challenging people as well but much less in life outside of golf) who have more to talk about than the latest release from Innova or what tag # they have (aka, disc golf guy). From my past life many moons ago, I only remember one guy from surfing similar to "disc golf guy" that used to drive me crazy in my late teens and early twenties. No matter where we were, he seemed to seek me and a several others out when we were socializing with others in public (not discussing anything to do with surfing and mainly when we were talking with girls) to discuss his latest surfing adventure and why he was never invited to hang out or travel with others. He was "that guy" before the term was coined.

But don't you run into people like that---or, at least, people that really annoy you in other ways---in other activities?

Certainly, we've worked with people we couldn't stand.

I coached youth sports for decades. With and against friends, and a few people I detested. All of these people probably had wonderful, varied lives, but around the ballfield, all of the talk was about baseball, almost all of that about the league we were coaching.

If I joined the neighborhood garden club---if I had joined it, when I lived in a neighborhood---I suspect it would be much the same. Plants, plants, plants, some know-it-alls, some obnoxious people, along with plenty of friends.

The one real difference in disc golf is that we're often spending really long stretches of time with them, particularly 2-day tournaments. Things you can live with for 2 hours, get really old after 14.

I tend bar for a living so I can certainly handle people up to a point. After that, I'm pretty good at handling them too. :|

I stopped playing tournaments awhile back because for like two straight years I kept getting stuck with some of the worst people ever on my cards. I'd rather play at my own leisure with people I actually want to play with then to get stuck with douchebags, buzzkills and fun suckers at every tournament.

Geez, I really have not run across any, over the top sorts. Granted I do play GrandMaster.....maybe that helps. Honestly, I see fun as a decision I make, not what others do. Nobody is responsible for my happiness and the decision to not enjoy myself is all on me. I guess some extreme douche canoe could make the quest a challenge, but I would be more likely to push him over the edge, than vice versa. If I am in a tournament, I am laser focused on having a good time and playing well, I guess I am lucky that I have not had anyone sway me from my goal......well, the fun part, playing well can be a little more of a crapshoot. But, that is on me as well.

I've considered stopping intermediate play because I can't handle the guys who think we're playing Open. I'm a competitive guy, but I can't take playing intermediate THAT seriously. I understand it at the Advanced level (sort of) and definitely at the Open level, but we're out there getting beat by 14 year olds sometimes lol, I mean how seriously can you take that?

Not to mention the second you start winning tournaments in intermediate you hear the whispers of "sandbagging" even though you're an 860 player that still griplocks like a mother and are lucky to be better than 50/50 15-30' out.

I'm looking for friendly competition with a general understanding and respect for the rules but I don't care if guys flip discs if they forgot a mini or step a little over their disc line on a mid-range run up. Blatant cheating to gain an advantage isn't cool, but quibbling over minute details in intermediate is way less cool to me.

The thing about Intermediate is you can have players who play Open or Advanced drop down to Intermediate if their rating is under 935. If it's a PDGA sanctioned event, I don't think it's too much to expect everyone to play by the same rules, and if there are violations they should be called. If someone doesn't have a mini, they should borrow one or buy one --flipping a disc in a PDGA event in just not ok.

I stopped playing tournaments awhile back because for like two straight years I kept getting stuck with some of the worst people ever on my cards. I'd rather play at my own leisure with people I actually want to play with then to get stuck with douchebags, buzzkills and fun suckers at every tournament.

I had this problem two years ago...I played a ton of sanctioned and non-sanctioned events and each time, each round, Id get stuck with at least one total prick and sometimes two. Guess who would want to smoke up or drink during the rounds and then treat me like I'm an ******* when I say its not allowed.

Luckily last year and (so far) this year I havent had any issues, but I have also been playing much fewer events. I try to keep in mind that I cant control other people's actions and attitudes, just my own reactions to such.

I also want to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with no playing tournaments or even league. Disc golf is an individual sport and can be enjoyed uniquely. Im just happy to see people out on the course, so long as they are having fun and not doing anything illegal.

The thing about Intermediate is you can have players who play Open or Advanced drop down to Intermediate if their rating is under 935. If it's a PDGA sanctioned event, I don't think it's too much to expect everyone to play by the same rules, and if there are violations they should be called. If someone doesn't have a mini, they should borrow one or buy one --flipping a disc in a PDGA event in just not ok.

Doesn't even have to be players dropping down, though. I see no reason up and coming Intermediate players can't take things seriously, particularly if they have aspirations of moving up and becoming Advanced and Pro players down the road. If they want to develop good habits and follow the rules properly from the start, and expect the same out of their competitors, no reason they should be maligned for it.

I get that there are folks that are just out to have fun and not take things too seriously and also that there can be dickbags who use rules enforcement just to be dickbags, but they aren't the only two categories that players can fall into. There is plenty of relaxed fun to be had at tournaments (sanctioned or not) while still adhering to and respecting the rules of play.

Doesn't even have to be players dropping down, though. I see no reason up and coming Intermediate players can't take things seriously, particularly if they have aspirations of moving up and becoming Advanced and Pro players down the road. If they want to develop good habits and follow the rules properly from the start, and expect the same out of their competitors, no reason they should be maligned for it.

I get that there are folks that are just out to have fun and not take things too seriously and also that there can be dickbags who use rules enforcement just to be dickbags, but they aren't the only two categories that players can fall into. There is plenty of relaxed fun to be had at tournaments (sanctioned or not) while still adhering to and respecting the rules of play.

Absolutely, having fun doesn't have to mean letting rules violations slide, even in Rec. And it's no fun getting beaten by a stroke or two by someone who steps to the side of their lie for a better angle at the basket (even if they don't know it's a rules violation). A foot left or right can make all the difference on some throws.

Oh wait, there was the guy who played with his sugar mama. He was twenty something, and she was sixty something. I kid you not. That was weird. Convinced me to never play intermediate again.

Was she hot for being 60? A sugarmama would allow more time for disc golf!

I prefer PDGA events over non-sanctioned events because i feel like I have more of a basis in the rules to cite people for behavior that sucks put up with. I have not noticed a difference between the behaviors present at non-sanctioned vs. sanctioned events, just my ability and basis to say something about them.

The substance abuse issue is probably the biggest one for me. It doesn't matter if its beer or pot or whatever else, playing with people that are high or intoxicated is a pain in the ass and at least at PDGA events I can inform them that I do in fact have a problem with them indulging during play. I don't like how often people put their card mates in that situation by asking if its cool if they smoke and leaving it up to them to enforce the rules but that's maybe a different discussion.

I was going to say this exact same thing (plus I can use the money I save to buy discs I actually want rather than getting stuck with players packs that don't see the light of day.....)