• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Developing Yet Fun bag

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 8 months; a couple years of rec-level Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Yeti/KC Aviar: 150/180'; Roc+: 200/240'; Valkyrie/Saint: 240/290'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Runner's knee
Other sport proficiencies?: Football

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I'm a noodle-arm who tends to prefer lighter-weight stuff (to a point), and this mostly covers that

Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to make sure I'm bagging what I need as a mostly-beginner while still keeping my weekly game fun. Shooting in the upper-70's is not fun.

Immediate and long-term goals: Improve distance and work on form, but still be able to play with my more-experienced friends every week. Would like to be driving ~350' long-term, don't need more than that.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
158 Opto Air Saint (new) - main driver, used ~60% of the time
149 StarLite Teebird (used) - straight/control drives, used ~20% of the time
139 StarLite Valkyrie (used) - long-range rollers, used two or three times a round
150 DX Firebird (beat) - headwinds & overhands, used once or twice a round

Mids:
167 R-Pro Roc+, (beat) - main mid
165 G* Valkyrie (used) - standing roller approaches (less than 200'), kind of a utility disc

Putters:
160 Yeti Pro Aviar, (beat) - main putter

Toss a fresh Dx Roc in there.
I think you might benefit from a slower Understable driver, I'm right about in the same skill pocket as you and it helped me a lot. Suggestions for that: JLS, Leopard, FD, River. I just rediscovered my JLS stash and it is by far the best driver for me. Between a Glow (soft glow champion), Quantum (champion), and regular millennium (innova pro like) I've got it all covered except steady hard winds.

I think you might benefit from a slower Understable driver, I'm right about in the same skill pocket as you and it helped me a lot. Suggestions for that: JLS, Leopard, FD, River.

I got a River from my local brick-and-mortar store about two weeks ago and loved it. The problem was the only color they had was purple, which was impossible to find for the one round I threw it. I traded it for the Saint, but have a couple of brightly-colored X-out Rivers on order.

I would suggest a straight/US mid to complement your OS Roc. I bag both a Comet and a Mako3, which are both great. I used to bag a Claymore but lost it. I keep meaning to replace it; great disc. Maybe at some point you could add an OS putter for windy days and for approaches. I use a Harp for that. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend and it slowly grew into a great upshot disc for me.

Nice to see you using the Saint, hands-down my favorite driver.

Looks like a good bag, and since you have River on order, the bag will get even better when the River arrives.

The only thing I would consider is a very overstable mid/approach disc for fighting the wind. Maybe a Gator or a Harp, something along those lines.

Try out a very low weight Blizzard Champion Boss. I have one that is 136 and can typically throw around 350-375, and the Blizzard Boss was my go to distance driver for a while to the point that it got so beat I can throw a roller with it with under 400ft of power.

I would add a few more mid options. If you like the way the roc feels consider adding a dx roc for a predictable, straight flight and a champ roc3 for something more overstable (hooks, skips, flicks). Grab a few more putters... practice, practice, practice. You have a good start on drivers (not sure why you have a valkyrie listed as a mid).

another Roc for sure. my noodle arm does about the same distances yours does. the Roc is dependable and versatile.

Harp could be your 1 disc solution for OS approaches, windy putts, get out of trouble FHs, mid/putter combo- I highly recommend it, I love the feel (beadless) in the medium plastic

You have a good start on drivers (not sure why you have a valkyrie listed as a mid).

I listed it as a mid because that particular one is my go-to for standstill roller approaches. The only time I drive with it is during field practice.

So this bag has undergone some major revisions in three months. I've improved my form a bit and am driving farther, and am now about an 800-level player, still with a ton of room for improvement.

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Yeti Aviar/Proxy: 200/240'; Roc+/Roc3: 220/260'; Volt/Crave: 290/340'

Putters:
160 Yeti Pro Aviar, (beat) - main putter
167 Neutron Proxy (used) - headwind putts, <100' approaches

Mids:
180 Metal Flake Roc3 (new) - main mid, <230' drives
167 R-Pro Roc+, (beat) - anhyzer approaches

Drivers:
162 Fission Volt (beat) - main driver; all others below typically used once or twice a round
175 Neutron Resistor (new) - hyzer drives, thumbers
152 Neutron Tesla (new) - light headwind drives
175 Proton Crave (used) - 230'-260' drives, line shaping
157 Opto Air River (used) - light tailwind drives, line shaping
139 StarLite Valkyrie (used) - big tailwind drives on open holes, rollers

Anything I'm missing?

^^ Missed the editing window, but that should read 152 Fission Tesla.

Another three months gone by, another major set of changes, mostly following improvement in throwing slower discs.

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Lucid Warden/KC Aviar: 240/260'; Roc+/Roc3: 250/270'; Photon/Insanity: 320/340'

Putters: 175 Lucid Warden (putting putter)
167 KC Aviar (beat, putter drives that need fade)

Mids:
176 Champ Roc3 (good, primary mid)
167 R-Pro Roc+ (beat, annys)

Drivers:
155 Fission Volt (good, primary fairway)
??? Neutron Volt (beat, bought used)
??? Fission Photon (good, bought used)
165 Plasma Insanity (new, primary distance driver)
155 Plasma Insanity (new, distance rollers)
175 Neutron Resistor (good, OS utility disc)
155 Opto Air River (good, short rollers & hyzerflips)
168 Moonshine River (new, 250'-300' turnovers & wooded control shots)

Latest posts