• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

Is it just me, or is anybody out there worried/concerned/apprehensive about tournament over-saturation in our area? Any thought that this could be actually hurting the sport overall?

More options for more golfers. I think it's a good thing. I'm in Fort Worth so I don't always want to drive an hour plus to get to a tournament. I think there is enough demand across a large enough geographic area to warrant 40+ tournaments a year or whatever we'll end up with this year.

More options for more golfers. I think it's a good thing. I'm in Fort Worth so I don't always want to drive an hour plus to get to a tournament. I think there is enough demand across a large enough geographic area to warrant 40+ tournaments a year or whatever we'll end up with this year.

Shout out to Grant:clap:

I think this is good because it creates competition which in theory make for better events! The strong will survive and the poorly run event will go by the way side:hfive:

Is it just me, or is anybody out there worried/concerned/apprehensive about tournament over-saturation in our area? Any thought that this could be actually hurting the sport overall?

With the birth of our son Haleigh and I can't play many tournaments so it isn't effecting us. What I do notice is, we don't seem to get as many players from out of town traveling to play DFW events and our players don't travel as much as they used to. It was cool when I started playing events when you would get more Austin players coming up and you got to meet new people and see these friends at more events.

I'm not against for profit TDs but it seems like events were bigger with more out of town players when we had people who only ran one or two events and they really put a years worth of effert into making that one event something special. Carrollton Open, VPO.

I'm not against for profit TDs but it seems like events were bigger with more out of town players when we had people who only ran one or two events and they really put a years worth of effert into making that one event something special. Carrollton Open, VPO.

There are still events like the VPO, but I think ungrateful, whiny pros have done a lot to take the wind out of such sails. It only takes a few bad apples to put a bad taste in the mouth.

There are still events like the VPO, but I think ungrateful, whiny pros have done a lot to take the wind out of such sails. It only takes a few bad apples to put a bad taste in the mouth.

I'm aware of the VPO and I wouldn't be supprised to see the carrollton open return now that both courses are 18 holes.

It probably isn't the place to air or reair it. I can only guess at what specific apples and sails you are talking about. If it is the one I am thinking of, I can probably make a good case for the apples side.

Does anybody know this guy named Jordan Loven? Phone number doesn't work? Found today in the middle of the fairway at Cherry Creek in Canton.

Attachments

• Banshee_Bottom.JPG
    Banshee_Bottom.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 25
  • Banshee_Top.JPG
    Banshee_Top.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 30
I went expecting the worst but Trophy Club Park is well marked easy to navigate and mowed and cleared on all fairways.

Still not a great design but the reviews on here are no longer accurate.

Just got back from Austin, thanks for the recommendations everyone that place is something else. Its spoiled with amazing courses up there, I even got to see a day of the players cup. It's surreal watching the pros play espically the long drives it really keeps you humble.

Looks like I will be in Dallas for a day/night/day on the 13th/14th. The hotel I am being put up in is attached to the airport and currently a rental is not going to happen unless I am super motivated and unable to come up with a better option. On the 13th I should have about 6-8 hours for golf before things get started.

What courses nearby can I hit and is there good public transportation. Are cabs a reasonable option. Initially it looks like the hotel has some sort of affiliation with Bear Creek golf club and there is a course there. I would really like to hit at least one other course, hopefully something that lets me air it out a bit more. Recommendations and ideas for getting around are welcome.

Bear Creek DGC is the closest course to the airport. However it is not located at the golf course. It's a good course. Taxis at the airport do have a hefty surcharge for levying the airport though.

Looks like I will be in Dallas for a day/night/day on the 13th/14th. The hotel I am being put up in is attached to the airport and currently a rental is not going to happen unless I am super motivated and unable to come up with a better option. On the 13th I should have about 6-8 hours for golf before things get started.

What courses nearby can I hit and is there good public transportation. Are cabs a reasonable option. Initially it looks like the hotel has some sort of affiliation with Bear Creek golf club and there is a course there. I would really like to hit at least one other course, hopefully something that lets me air it out a bit more. Recommendations and ideas for getting around are welcome.

You are flying into DFW? You have WO Harrington with slight elevation that is practically on aiport property. It would take 2 hours to walk to it, (according to google maps) or a short trip in a cab, don't know how easy it would be to get a cab to pick you back up (the course does have an address though). It is a 9 hole, mostly open on a minor hill side.

Bear creek is a good course, you could take the free bus over to remote parking north and walk an hour and a half to the course. It would also be easy to get a cab to and from because you would be able to give an address for where to pick you up (or even go to the houses close by and give a random address.) Your time would be better spent at BC, though it can get busy.

Sorry, DFW sucks for public transportation. www.dart.org is for bus and light rail times and locations.

Yeah ... Bear Creek is a great course, one worth playing if you're coming in from out of town. But Giles is telling you right. The public trans in DFW is not the best, especially given an airport that is actually in the middle of two major cities and their suburbs. Texas has always been a low cost, low service state -- people here just don't like to pay taxes for anything.

Now let me get off my political soapbox and help you. Your best bet would be to go on Facebook and log on to one of the DFW disc golf groups (like TFBT, Arlington Disc golf, or Funkytown flyers) and let people know your situation. What we lack in transportation here in Texas we more than make up for in friendliness. I am sure you could get a group to play with who'd be willing to come get you at the airport and play a round or two at one of the good local courses. Someone is bound to have a work schedule that can match up with yours.

PM me if it doesn't work out.

That is a great idea. Bear Creek is listed as 1.6 miles from my hotel, so walking is an option I guess. As it gets closer I guess I will think about the facebook thing and weigh the rental option. If I bite the bullet and decide to just get a rental, what 2 courses, hopefully not too far apart, would be best for a 6-8 hour window including driving.

That is a great idea. Bear Creek is listed as 1.6 miles from my hotel, so walking is an option I guess. As it gets closer I guess I will think about the facebook thing and weigh the rental option. If I bite the bullet and decide to just get a rental, what 2 courses, hopefully not too far apart, would be best for a 6-8 hour window including driving.

I don't know what hotel you're staying at, but I can't think of one that you wouldn't be walking across/down a major highway to get to Bear Creek. I would do a rental if you don't grab a ride.

With that being said, Lewisville (Lake Park & LL Woods) are just a few miles up Hwy 121N from Bear Creek. If you're getting out in the area, I would definitely check out Lake Park. You can skip LL Woods as it's fairly open and not too technical, but if you're going for quantity it's just across the highway from the lake.

If you would rather head south from Grapevine, North Park in haltom city (probably a 30-40 minute commute from Bear Creek, depending on traffic) is one of my favorites in DFW. Both the city and the local club have put a ton of work into this course. The only downside being some construction on a fairway or two. I believe it's in play from the long teeboxes. I haven't been out there since last Friday, and I only remember it really affecting one hole. It could be better (or worse) given when you get there. Arcadia is a few miles from North Park. It's a bit of a longer course, pretty open, and similar to LL Woods in that if you're going to the better (Lake/North Park) and want quantity, might as well tack it on if you're in the area.

I'd do Bear Creek and Turner Park down in Grand Prairie. Turner is the next closest multiple feature course, a couple slight elevations changes, and a couple true par 4/5s.

I would really like to hit at least one other course, hopefully something that lets me air it out a bit more. Recommendations and ideas for getting around are welcome.

Bear Creek is a nice course, but you won't be "airing it out" there. It does have a baseball field by the parking lot where you can throw a few for distance. #14 long is about 350 feet (if that far). The rest are shorter or technical.

As for transportation, you said you only have 6-8 hours... you'll need a rental car. Public transportation isn't going to work for you.

I'd avoid the north Fort Worth area. It has very good disc golf courses, but it also has huge construction projects on most of the the highways.

Turner Park would be the best place to air it out and still be able to fit in your limited time frame.

Have fun.

Public transportation is more or less non existent. You should be able to find cabs at the airport, I can't tell you anything about rates.

How is Saddle Hills looking?

It is the last course I have not played in DFW. I did play it when it was 9 holes.

How is Saddle Hills looking?

It is the last course I have not played in DFW. I did play it when it was 9 holes.

I haven't played it yet, I was going to today.... but I ended up playing Z-Boaz. Lol.

From what my buds tell me, it's like greenbriar and Z-Boaz had a baby, and that's the outcome. Grass/dirt teepads, no signs, and slightly hard to follow. Like most texas courses haha

I haven't played it yet, I was going to today.... but I ended up playing Z-Boaz. Lol.

From what my buds tell me, it's like greenbriar and Z-Boaz had a baby, and that's the outcome. Grass/dirt teepads, no signs, and slightly hard to follow. Like most texas courses haha

I've played it when it was a 9 hole course, so I've got a good idea of the park. I'm wanting to see if anyone knows how playable it is. If it is super overgrown or not.