• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

I have a question about area courses. I'm trying to identify courses in DFW and (easy day trip)surrounding areas that meet all of the following criteria:

1) Multiple tees that are well established and clearly marked;
2) Concrete tees with tee signs for at least one set of tees;
3) At least 18 holes; and
4) A mix of significant water in play and wooded holes, with notable elevation.

So far I have:
Harry Myers;
Towne Lake;
Z-Boaz;
Crowley;
Selah (day trip).

Some great courses that didn't make the list include:
Cedar Hill (short tees move around and/or often are not marked);
Veteran's (short tees are not marked, lack of significant water in play);
Tyler's Lindsey Park Courses (lack of significant water in play);
Paschall (no elevation);
Audubon (no concrete tees; tee signs).

Are there any others that should be on the list?

I have a question about area courses. I'm trying to identify courses in DFW and (easy day trip)surrounding areas that meet all of the following criteria:

So far I have:
Harry Myers;
Towne Lake;
Z-Boaz;
Crowley;
Selah (day trip).

Paschall (no elevation);

Maybe Bear Creek or North Park

Turner has muliple pin positions but not muliple tees.

Jen,

Have you played The Roc in Tyler? Significant water is questionable since it only comes into play on 13 & 14. Also, Cain Park in Athens. Not much elevation, but concrete pads with some water to contend with.

I have not played The Roc, Cain Park, or North Park.

I don't recall any notable elevation at Bear Creek, and the lack of multiple tees is why Turner didn't make the list. I noticed that all of the courses on the list have accessible restrooms except Z-Boaz, and I'm thinking that ought to be another criterium. Do the Roc, Cain Park, and North Park have restrooms?

So far I have:
Harry Myers;
Towne Lake;
Z-Boaz;
Crowley;
Selah (day trip).

Paschall (no elevation);

Cedar Hill short tees will be getting permanent markers before too long. I mark the courses every week and people move the flags or steal them. We won't be moving them around too much more. We were just trying to come up with the best layout so we would try new things. Ill post when the holes have been permanently marked.

I have not played The Roc, Cain Park, or North Park.

I don't recall any notable elevation at Bear Creek, and the lack of multiple tees is why Turner didn't make the list. I noticed that all of the courses on the list have accessible restrooms except Z-Boaz, and I'm thinking that ought to be another criterium. Do the Roc, Cain Park, and North Park have restrooms?

Not sure about restrooms at Northpark but all the holes are right on top of others. The holes are very fun but very close together. There are teepads 50' from baskets if not closer. Its s very small piece if land. You can see the entire park from hole 1.

There are no restrooms at north park. Also with all the recent rains the course will be wet for a long time. The large amount of trees does not help with the course drying out. Also the grass seems to never be mowed there

The grass was mowed a few days ago. Some holes will not be (10-12 comes to mind) from my understanding. From what I have heard, if you contact the city, they're pretty quick to resolve the situation. The only bathrooms at North Park are 3 porta-potties, and even then I'm not sure if they are for the baseball field or construction workers.

Jen... The Roc is on church property. The ammenities are great. Super clean restrooms, even the Mens. Cold water fountain, enough shade, and a well manicured course that is constantly given attention. I would be surprised if you did not like The Roc. It doesn't get much love on DGCR, but it really is worth a day trip. Add Cain Park 40 miles to the east in Athens, with restrooms in the Recreation Center, to complete a very good day trip. Cain Park does not have alt. tees, they are concrete and it is not a long course. I've played over 50 courses and these are two of my favorites. I still love my big arm courses, but these two are a good change of pace. Let me know if you might do this soon. I'd certainly like to join you and Bill..... GBO this week!

Played North Park today and last week. It's really greening up. That helps it a lot from being a total mud hole. All the grass that is #1 is mowed and most of between the road and the ditch is mowed. Past that, not so much. There are some white flowery bushes blooming that attract hordes of butterflies and smell divine.

And if you lost your keys out there, someone put them on the board by the practice basket. Two weeks now and no body has claimed them. Or stolen them. +100 to my faith in humanity.

I have been trapped inside all weekend from the races. Thinking about hitting either north park or bear creek soon. Anyone feel like getting muddy? :)

Let me know soon, going to grab a bite to eat and run a quick errand.

Bringing home 1st placed adv masters from Texas women's. Hard work paid off, and I met some awesome ladies too.

Munson Park

I finally made it out to Munson Park in Denison. WOW what a great course they have out there. It was def worth the hour and fifteen minute drive from Lewisville. I brought my wife and 17 month old son, and let me tell you, I DO NOT advise bringing a stroller to this course. The elevation made for a tough round pushing a heavy stroller combined with my fully loaded Innova Discarrier. To make it worse, I hit my hand really hard on a tree during my upshot backswing on hole 2. Couldn't really feel my hand for the rest of the round but still managed to pull out a 67 (Par 62). This course reminded me of Turner Park but longer, and more elevation. The park is beautifully maintained by the City of Denison and a few of the locals I ran into we're really friendly. I will definitely be returning to this course soon! It's too bad the Grand Opening tournament is on Mother's Day weekend.....:(

Yes I am running a PDGA b-tier at Munson Park on May 12th. Part of my service after the design / build on this project for the community of Munson. Friday night doubles with baskets for the first place team ($5 random draw) plus rest of cash returned . . . Saturday two round event with over $1000 added to pot for pros and ams.

Also a womens golbal event for the ladies that want to go with that at the same time

No pros signed up but me, so if not a pro turn out I will roll that $500 over to am prizes.

Thanks for the comments on the design . . . . a great place to work with.

Limit of 90 players, so sign up if you want to be sure to get in (refunds up to day of show if something comes up). I am looking forward to coming to town with no construction tools for once!

Comparing Munson to Turner is quite appropriate. I'd also compare it to Weatherford. The trees are mature and spaced apart, like these two courses. The elevation is also similar. I think Turner is definitely the most difficult, even though Munson is longer overall. I think that's because Turner's long holes are long enough to add a lot of strokes, but it's shorter holes don't give back the same amount of strokes. I found Munson to be the second most difficult, and Weatherford the easiest. Also, Weatherford has the least elevation in my view. I also think Turner has the more significant elevation, but it comes into play on fewer holes than on Munson. I can't think of a hole in Munson park that doesn't have elevation, but the hills at Turner seem steeper to me.

I played Paschall today for the first time in a few months. I'm really upset at what's happened there. The city has cut through the easement where half the course is built and taken down all the trees and put down gravel on holes 8-11. There are sewage trucks parked everywhere and a large above ground pipe pumping smelly sewage through the park. A local told me they will be working there for the next 6 months. Even when they are gone, the course will be forever ruined.

I played Paschall today for the first time in a few months. I'm really upset at what's happened there. The city has cut through the easement where half the course is built and taken down all the trees and put down gravel on holes 8-11. There are sewage trucks parked everywhere and a large above ground pipe pumping smelly sewage through the park. A local told me they will be working there for the next 6 months. Even when they are gone, the course will be forever ruined.

It's sad to play there now. The fairway trees are gone. The holes play a lot easier down a wide, level road. The smell has always been there.

It would be possible to plant rye on the road when they're done... rye grass will grow on the caliche they've put down. Replacing the trees will be a lot more difficult. If they plant small ones, unwashed disc golfers will vandalize them (kill them). Big trees cost big money. I grew up in Mesquite, I doubt they're going to spend big money.

Latest posts